Apple debuts speedier iPhone 3G S with built-in video camera

Comments

• Reply 101 of 263
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

GPS can tell direction if you are moving; a compass can tell direction standing still.

And how did I ever live without that, I ask you?
  • Reply 102 of 263
    samnuvasamnuva Posts: 225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Oh, quit whining about having to wait a month until your contracts end.

Oh, I never realized A month and a year were the same thing, Thanks for telling me!
  • Reply 103 of 263
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

GPS can tell direction if you are moving; a compass can tell direction standing still.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And how did I ever live without that, I ask you?

Just dumb luck, probably.
  • Reply 104 of 263
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Usually they extend their normal upgrade pricing for the new releases to support the early adopter community. In this instance they are making those who upgraded to the 3g Wait a month and a half, or will allow you to purchase for an additional $200 with the same 2 year extension.

So, my point is that they are missing the market on everyone who upgraded to the 3G and want to make a purchase.

So you mean they're missing the market on everyone who is willing to pay several hundred dollars less than the rest of their customers? Wow I'm sure that must just be an oversight.
  • Reply 105 of 263
    You have to be eligible for an upgrade to get the low prices. ATT has always been like this. Usually its like a year and a half into your contract that your eligible for an upgrade.

I was eligible for an upgrade and got the $199 price.
  • Reply 106 of 263
    s3obeds3obed Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dguisinger View Post

For any of you who bought the 3G phone on day 1 (aka stood in line), what does it say for your eligdability for a standard upgrade? Mine says:

12/12/09

Which would be 18 months

The Early Upgrade fee is:

$299.00* — 8GB iPhone 3G (black)

$399.00* — 16GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)

$499.00* — 32GB iPhone 3G S (black or white)

Mine says the same thing, but I called my brother at work who stood in line the same day with me and purchased it on 3G release date IS eligible for an upgrade to 3GS. I called AT&T (611) and they said I have to start a new 2 year contract and pay $18 upgrade fee and whatever the iPhone costs (the rep I spoke to doesn't even know the price of the new iPhone). I'm probably not eligible because I've been late on a few payments.
  • Reply 107 of 263
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Psyched about release date. They are playing this like they did the iPods. Trickle out the features. Worked for iPods, will it work with phones?

well, I owned a grand total of 1 ipod before iphone, I had the 2007 original phone, got the 3g last year, and gonna get the 3g s as soon as I can find a job to replace the one I lost in March, I have many friends and now-former colleagues in the same position. so whatever trickle effect did for the ipod it will do 4 fold for the phone.
  • Reply 108 of 263
    bonklersbonklers Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Playball View Post

From the WWDC presentation, it appears that Voice Control is a new hardware feature on the 3GS, but wouldn't this feature be a part of the 3.0 OS and therefore also on the iPhone 3G? Anybody want to guess if this feature is exclusive to the 3GS?

the iphone 3g can capture video, send mms, run more than 1 app at a time with FW 2.2.1. the catch is that those things are done by jailbreaking the phone.

i suspect that FW 3.0 will give voice control to the new iphoneG s but not to the 1st gen or the 3g, not because they can't, but because it will be a Gs feature. but if i were you, i'd probably install FW3.0, jailbreak it, and have voice control, video capture and much more.
  • Reply 109 of 263
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Wow, just talked to AT&T rep about upgrading. We waited in line for the 3G phone, and have to wait until July 12th to get the upgrade at the standard upgrade pricing. I would bet that there will be a ton of folks in this situation!

How is that being punished? I am not sure why you’d wait in a line for a product that isn’t out yet and without knowing what your options are for owning a highly subsidization device for under a year.

Considering that iPhone 3G came out on July 11th 2008 that July 12th date, which is a Sunday, may not be the day you can get a new iPhone at the upgrade eligible price. You may have to wait until your iPhone 3G contract has passed one full year.
  • Reply 110 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post

The answer is YES. I lost mine a few weeks ago and this is exactly what you are expected to pay for a replacement regardless of you standing with AT&T. Absolutely NO customer loyalty! The rep I spoke with told me that according to their contract with Apple, AT&T stores are not allowed to offer a discount to any customers that have LOST their phones before they are officially "qualified" to upgrade. However, I was offered a substantial discount on on my pick of any of the other smart phones that AT&T carries. How fucked is that??

Doesn't sound like you have any loyalty to them. Why should they reward your lack of loyalty?
  • Reply 111 of 263
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

No tethering on AT&T or MMS. Such an advanced network. Too funny.

Why don't you wait and get the facts straight for a change. Have a little patience for f***s sake. UFI.

AT&T details iPhone 3GS launch plans

"AT&T warns that while the 3GS supports 7.2Mbps downloads, deployment of a supporting network will only begin later this year, and finish in 2011. MMS messaging should become available in "late summer," according to an AT&T representative, and come at no extra charge. A future tethering plan is confirmed, but no details are yet ready."

http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/06/...on.iphone.3gs/

Further confirmation; Current AT&T customers and iPhone 3GS (answers to questions) http://weblogs.redeyechicago.com/iph...questions.html
  • Reply 112 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arlomedia View Post

Maybe this is a dumb question, but what can you do with a compass that you can't do with GPS?

Know which way you are facing?

GPS shows you where you are. Compass shows you where you are pointed. Full functionality of turn by turn directions are not possible without both components.
  • Reply 113 of 263
    pedrofanpedrofan Posts: 4member
    Some trivial questions:

I have a jailbroken iphone 3G that records video with cycorder; if it can do it why doesn't apple support it on OS3.0?? -->> TO SELL US AN IPHONE 3GS

I have an iphone 3G with an underclocked arm proccessor (600->400mhz), why don't they put it at full speed as in ipod touch 2.0?? -->> TO SELL US AN IPHONE 3GS

If you have an iphone 3G, What do you have to do now? -->> INSTALL OS3.0, JAILBRAKE IT, INSTALL CYCORDER, WAIT FOR OVERCLOCKING PATCH.

The only real news are the compass, the 3mp autofocus camera and maybe 256mb of ram. The rest are software Limitations. Let hackers work...
  • Reply 114 of 263
    does anyone know how much at&t will charge for the 3g s monthly service? I called at&t locally and they didn't have the info (upstate ny) available!

thanks one and all
  • Reply 115 of 263
    lewchenkolewchenko Posts: 122member
    A few things which have not been mentioned...

(1) - Is it still 128MB of memory in the 3GS model ? If so why ? I thought 236MB was a given.

(2) - What is the new processor in the 3GS model ... havent seen that mentioned anywhere.. and how much faster is it ?

The software may well be advanced, and the app store is great... but the technology behind the phone is lacking, and this refresh is lack luster in that department.. just compare the H/W to something like the Samsung Tocco Ultra for example.
  • Reply 116 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jr1882 View Post

Why wouldnt they??? They would just have locked me in for another 2 years instead of the 1 year I have now.... That's $1500 in their pockets for the extra year of service.

Why would they want to lock you in? They surely would know that if they didn't keep giving you $500+ cash subsidies every few months you'd just be whining your ass off again.
  • Reply 117 of 263
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swirlygirl View Post

does anyone know how much at&t will charge for the 3g s monthly service? I called at&t locally and they didn't have the info (upstate ny) available!

thanks one and all

Same as the pda plans. $30 a month
  • Reply 118 of 263
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lewchenko View Post

A few things which have not been mentioned...

(1) - Is it still 128MB of memory in the 3GS model ? If so why ? I thought 236MB was a given.

(2) - What is the new processor in the 3GS model ... havent seen that mentioned anywhere.. and how much faster is it ?

The software may well be advanced, and the app store is great... but the technology behind the phone is lacking, and this refresh is lack luster in that department.. just compare the H/W to something like the Samsung Tocco Ultra for example.

ANd just how would one go about that?
  • Reply 119 of 263
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dotheJOBman View Post

i personally feel the blackberry kicks the i phones ass!!

i mean waht respectable adult uses an iphone for work.. and bbm! you can not even compare... also whats up with "looped" was steve jobs a stalker?!

Great first post. You make me look good.
  • Reply 120 of 263
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Oh man I really like what Apple has done with the iPhone platform. I want a 32GB iPhone so bad! I really hope fido carries it, but I'm thinking Rogers is gonna take it and leave fido with only the 8gb model that I already have. In an ideal world fido gets the 16 and 32gb ones as well, I get a 32 and give my old 8 to my gf and call it a day.

Anyone know why voice dialing seems to be an iPhone 3GS feature and not a OS 3.0 feature? That kind of sucks.