Apple releases Safari 4 as "world's fastest browser"

Comments

• Reply 21 of 68
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jahvelin View Post

i liked them and miss them... they should give us a choice...

Tabs on top were of big annoyance when you wanted to grab a window.

I ended up selecting tabs i/o dragging windows

It's a good thing Apple put them back below

The new Safari is a beauty! Thumbs up to the Safari team!
  • Reply 22 of 68
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    RSS feed bookmarks in folder still don't work. $#&$*&^*(*)_(+_)+_**(^&^$%$

Ste-e-e-eve! Please come back soon! Please!
  • Reply 23 of 68
    idleidle Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I want my tabs back on top! That gave more browsing space, damn apple that was the thing about the beta I liked the most!

Yes! I'm glad that there are at least a few of us out there who think this. That was the first thing I checked, and it resulted in a very audible moan from me. Every half inch of browsing space means something, especially on a little 13" screen.

There was a "secret" terminal command to move the tabs downward in the beta releases...maybe someone will come across a similar command for the final?
  • Reply 24 of 68
    idleidle Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Tabs on top were of big annoyance when you wanted to grab a window.

I ended up selecting tabs i/o dragging windows

I actually never ran into that problem...the inactive tabs always stayed inactive for me when I dragged windows from their spots on the title bar.
  • Reply 25 of 68
    quantzquantz Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They aren?t lying, but they are marketing. The tests that are 4x are measuring certain things, like JS. And they are surely not using the latest FF betas for a comparison.

I just hope that this release isn?t buggy. With other browsers catching up to them in Acid3 it is best for them to release their browser as first publically released, no beta browser that scores a perfect on Acid3 (note that a 100/100 is a necessarily a passing score).

Granted, Safari 4 (and this is not Beta, even if still named as such on the download page)

is very fast, and slightly faster than Firefox 3 (no Beta either) in some pages (tested it),

it still lacking a huge spec for me : no sorting of the bookmarks (as Firefox does : A>B,

B>A, by date, etc.).

How come they didn't just think of it, it's beyond me.

Am I supposed to MANUALLY sort my 890 + bookmarks ? Steve, really ? Phil ?
  • Reply 26 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceLee5000 View Post

Quantz, what do you mean, you can't sort Bookmarks (favorites)?

Go to the Bookmarks Menu and choose "Show All Bookmarks".

There you can make folders and nest and rename to your hearts content!

(forgive me if you're on a PC and it doesn't work the same way over there, but I'm pretty sure it should.)

Good luck!

I'm on a Mac since 1993.

Alright. I click "Show All Bookmarks".

And then ?

I have 890 FOLDERS of them, with anywhere from 5 to 100 bookmarks in each folder, and adding maybe 5 or 6 bookmarks each week. It means I have maybe 8000 or 9000 bookmarks in these folders.

Am I supposed to MANUALLY sort them from A to B ?

You must be kidding…

Back to Firefox :

"Organize Bookmarks", and then bingo : from A>Z or Z>A or by date or anything else, in one click,

done in 1 SECOND.

Wake up, Apple.

Moreover : in Firefox, I have the Xmarks add-on that synchronizes and sort all my folders and bookmarks

AUTOMATICALLY each time I add bookmarks in my collection.

Instead, in Safari, only solution is this :

http://www.macworld.com/article/5175...afarisort.html

Tedious…
  • Reply 27 of 68
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Does anyone know the status of FlashBlock and AdBlock Plus functionality for Safari 4? I'm a FF3 user but the new Safari release is rockin'. Just add those to plug-ins (or however that has to be implemented in Safari) and I'm officially a convert!

ClickToFlash is the equivalent of FlashBlock for WebKit based applications. Safari Adblock is the closest thing that to Adblock Plus you'll find for Safari. It supports ABP's filter subscriptions but doesn't offer advanced functionality like element hiding. Plus, making rules/exceptions isn't as easy as with ABP.
  • Reply 28 of 68
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Meh, I was hoping that Safari 4 would allow to search in site titles when typing in the address bar (akin to Firefox' AwesomeBar). Turns out it matches only the beginnings of an URL like with Safari 3. This is a let-down as this functionality is one of the major things tying me to Firefox as it eases my daily usage of the browser more than any speed bump can do.
  • Reply 29 of 68
    yoshokunyoshokun Posts: 4member
    Bring the tabs on top back! Or at least make it an option.

I've been running a strings against the binary and I haven't seen any hidden prefs so far to change it back..

That's really disappointing. I guess now it's up to Chrome to bring it back.
  • Reply 30 of 68
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Neither

defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4TabBarIsOnTop -bool YES

nor

defaults write com.apple.Safari Safari4TabBarIsOnTop -bool YES

nor

defaults write com.apple.Safari TabBarIsOnTop -bool YES

work anymore...
  • Reply 31 of 68
    yoshokunyoshokun Posts: 4member
    All of the DebugSafari4 or Safari4 pref lines are gone in the new version. No point in trying to use them. I'm not seeing anything so far looking through manually to see if it's set another way. But it'll take a while to look through everything. =\\
  • Reply 32 of 68
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by - J B 7 2 - View Post

What happned to the tabs on top? I was just getting into that.

I know the feeling. Major step backwards to please a couple of people.
  • Reply 33 of 68
    Why move the tabs back down and not give an option

Alos, why can't they implement the three finger scroll to the top/bottom of the page like Firefox, that's my favourite feature. I'll stick with FF for now then
  • Reply 34 of 68
    Does anybody have a rational explanation why URL SnapBack was removed from Safari 4?
  • Reply 35 of 68
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr.blue View Post

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250439846296&_trkparms =tab%3DSelling[/url]

Great way to get banned
  • Reply 36 of 68
    Another vote here for a tabs on top option.

It was actually the main thing I'd point out to people when trying to sell them on Safari.

The interface looks clunky now. \
  • Reply 37 of 68
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alexfischer View Post

Another vote here for a tabs on top option.

It was actually the main thing I'd point out to people when trying to sell them on Safari.

The interface looks clunky now. \

Agree, whole heartedly.
  • Reply 38 of 68
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quantz View Post

I have 890 FOLDERS of them, with anywhere from 5 to 100 bookmarks in each folder, and adding maybe 5 or 6 bookmarks each week. It means I have maybe 8000 or 9000 bookmarks in these folders.

Am I supposed to MANUALLY sort them from A to B ?

You must be kidding?

Make up your mind. First you claim you have 890+ bookmarks, even in the post immediately preceding this. Now you claim it's 890+ folders? Anybody with 9000 bookmarks isn't using the Web properly. You have way too much junk there and almost certainly more than a few 404s among them.
  • Reply 39 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Make up your mind. First you claim you have 890+ bookmarks, even in the post immediately preceding this. Now you claim it's 890+ folders? Anybody with 9000 bookmarks isn't using the Web properly. You have way too much junk there and almost certainly more than a few 404s among them.

Your reply is , excuse me, irrelevant to the subject.

FYI : I don't bookmark junk, all my bookmarks are checked weekly, and all are up to date.

Still, the question was : since years, Apple never implemented sorting of bookmarks in Safari, and it's severely lacking.

Reply : ?
  • Reply 40 of 68
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    STAY AWAY FROM SAFARI 4!

I love new stuff, but this one bombed five times already. Thank God (and Steve) for Time Machine. I reloaded my S4 beta in less time than rebooting the new Bad S4. (Besides, all my fixes such as the proper tools, like stop/reload, in the toolbar went back to stupidity in today's download of Safari!)