iPhone 3G users to pay $200 premium for early upgrade to iPhone 3G S

Comments

• Reply 21 of 429
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

This was because the original iPhone was not subsidized, users paid full price. The situation changes once AT&T is paying half the cost of the phone.

Yes but we will in turn agree to an additional year on our contract if they subsidize each next one - total $720 premium for both phones. So doesn't that keep things fair for them to let us buy it at new customer rates?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Enigmafan420 View Post

That'd be me-3.O should be enough for me. Not worth $499 for an electronic compass and voice commands.

On the other hand, $49 for a family pack of Snow Leopard-BRING IT ON

Longer Battery Life, Video Recording and 32GB RAM are huge for me.
  • Reply 22 of 429
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Does the $99 iPhone 3G still mandate a $30/mo data plan? Because the cost of the phone isn't the issue for non-iPhone owners; it's the $80/mo minimum phone bill.
  • Reply 23 of 429
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    I can understand even if I don't like the price for upgrading. The carrier is subsidizing the cost. Ok. But the fact that we have to sign a new contract just because we want to upgrade the phone is ridiculous!

This just makes it too much of a hurdle for me.
  • Reply 24 of 429
    ericvet8bericvet8b Posts: 70member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Doubt O2 will rip off the UK users like AT&T does to it's customers.

I definitively hope so...

Any news about when new iPhone 3GS is going to launched in UK?? (please, say soon!! Can't wait now!!! hehe)
  • Reply 25 of 429
    oh_aromoh_arom Posts: 7member
    Actually the terms are a lot worse then what is stated in this thread!!!

Requires new two-year AT&T wireless service contract, sold separately to qualified customers; credit check required; must be 18 or older. For non-qualified customers, including existing AT&T customers who want to upgrade from another phone or replace an iPhone 3G, the price with a new two-year agreement is $499 (8GB), $599 (16GB), or $699 (32GB).

So if you got a new 3G contract last July you will be spending up to $699 plus $36 in upgrade/activation fees. I'm all set with that!!!
  • Reply 26 of 429
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Would you have to get a new telephone number - or can the existing number be ported?

You should be able to port your existing number.
  • Reply 27 of 429
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

I can understand even if I don't like the price for upgrading. The carrier is subsidizing the cost. Ok. But the fact that we have to sign a new contract just because we want to upgrade the phone is ridiculous!

I agree with that. If they're not going to give you 2-year contract pricing, then you shouldn't have to sign a new 2-year contract. Pretty sleazy move, AT&T.
  • Reply 28 of 429
    ericvet8bericvet8b Posts: 70member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Enigmafan420 View Post

If you are still on a 1G iPhone-you should get the full monty as far as discount goes. Your two years are up or nearly so.

Really?? Excellent!!!! I'm on 1st gen iPhone too... I'm so glad I waited....

People be strong!! Only few days left!!!!!!
  • Reply 29 of 429
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oh_arom View Post

Actually the terms are a lot worse then what is stated in this thread!!!

Requires new two-year AT&T wireless service contract, sold separately to qualified customers; credit check required; must be 18 or older. For non-qualified customers, including existing AT&T customers who want to upgrade from another phone or replace an iPhone 3G, the price with a new two-year agreement is $499 (8GB), $599 (16GB), or $699 (32GB).

So if you got a new 3G contract last July you will be spending up to $699 plus $36 in upgrade/activation fees. I'm all set with that!!!

Let me guess. You didn't even TRY to order or reserve an iPhone3G S online to verify your upgrade price before you posted this?
  • Reply 30 of 429
    oh_aromoh_arom Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Let me guess. You didn't even TRY to order or reserve an iPhone3G S online to verify your upgrade price before you posted this?

That's actually how I found out DUDE!!! Go check yourself.....
  • Reply 31 of 429
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ny3ranger View Post

You can also cancel your account for 175 bucks and then get a new iphone 3g (S) for 199 299.

Very doubtful.

Likely if you cancel your contract prior to the 2 years (maybe 88 months) , you will be considered a "non-qualified" customer.

" (2) Requires new two-year AT&T wireless service contract, sold separately to qualified customers; credit check required; must be 18 or older. For non-qualified customers, including existing AT&T customers who want to upgrade from another phone or replace an iPhone 3G, the price with a new two-year agreement is $499 (8GB), $599 (16GB), or $699 (32GB). "
  • Reply 32 of 429
    bigmigbigmig Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

Yes but we will in turn agree to an additional year on our contract if they subsidize each next one.

No, because it's a two year commitment, not a one year commitment. One year is not sufficient time for them to fully recoup the subsidy.

This is exactly the same way it works with every phone and every major cellular provider in the US. Anyone who is surprised by this has clearly never before tried to upgrade a phone within the two year window before. Probably because prior to the iPhone, there was no compelling reason to upgrade your phone more than once every two or three years...the technology was too stagnant. The only exception to the two year rule was the original iPhone, and that was an exception only because it received no hardware subsidy. iPhone 3G received a hardware subsidy and plays by exactly the same rules that everyone else does.
  • Reply 33 of 429
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    No it doesn't AT&T reported in it's quarterly financial notes that it lost profits from subsidizing the 3G, AT&T would loose money by continously subsidizing phones for previous AT&T customers.

Quote:

Yes but we will in turn agree to an additional year on our contract if they subsidize each next one. So doesn't that keep things fair for them to let us buy it at new customer rates?

• Reply 34 of 429
    renegaderenegade Posts: 6member
    So far as I can tell, AT&T is only requiring a one year wait before allowing the subsidized price.

My one year anniv. from my iPhone 3G is 7/12, which is what the website says for me to get the subsidized pricing.

Prior to that date, its $200 more.

My wife got my iPhone 2G and is currently eligible for the normal subsidized pricing. I have asked a few friends who also go iPhone 3G's but on different dates, theirs also show their 1 year anniv. as the date they are eligible for the subsidy. One for example is 7/17/09.

Here is mine....

• Reply 35 of 429
    joeyyyjoeyyy Posts: 35member
    Quote:

I talked to an AT&T Manager in Sacramento right after the Keynote and he says the upgrade policy hasn't been decided yet and that last year everyone was able to upgrade with a new contract for the same price as all new customers. So I am not convinced this $200 premium will be in effect by next Friday. If it is I'm with you on early cancelation and new contract. Why spend another $25 above the early cancellation $175 penalty? That's why I don't think they will keep the $200 higher charge to upgrade rather than deal with a bunch of canceled agreements. \No. Last year existing iPhone customers were able to upgrade to the iPhone 3G for the same price as new customers - no early adopter penalty. The $200 penalty for existing contract holders is INSANE and UNFAIR.

The one difference that you should remember is the 1st gen iPhone owners paid full price for the phone when they bought it as it was not subsidized by AT&T. That's why AT&T had no loss by giving you an upgrade to iPhone 3G as a new customer.

However, iPhone 3G was subsidized meaning that in pricing the Phone AT&T is planed to get back the subsidy back through your two years contact.

If you break this contract by getting another subsidized phone then you need to return to AT&T to amount that they were planning to get from you during the reminder of the contract.

That's why an upgrade fee in this case does make sense. It is exactly what AT&T or any other wireless carrier does with any other subsidized phone.
  • Reply 36 of 429
    ipond317ipond317 Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by renegade View Post

So far as I can tell, AT&T is only requiring a one year wait before allowing the subsidized price.

My one year anniv. from my iPhone 3G is 7/12, which is what the website says for me to get the subsidized pricing.

Prior to that date, its $200 more.

My wife got my iPhone 2G and is currently eligible for the normal subsidized pricing. I have asked a few friends who also go iPhone 3G's but on different dates, theirs also show their 1 year anniv. as the date they are eligible for the subsidy. One for example is 7/17/09.

Here is mine....

Yeah, I upgraded my original iPhone to 3G last July, and I can upgrade to 3GS on July 25th.
  • Reply 37 of 429
    if you have more than 1yr on your existing 3G contract you are a "Qualified Customer" so you'll get the $199/$299

As of today no one is yet a QC, because the last 3G hasn't been out a year yet.
  • Reply 38 of 429
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    If you paid full price for a new phone you would not have to sign a new contact.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

• Reply 39 of 429
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 697member
    You buy a phone, not a subscription to a phone model. Everyone who had the original Razr had to wait two years to buy the even niftier Razr at a subsidized price. Please folks, don't make this sound like something unique to Apple. Now, ATT does let renewal dates creep a few months - I know because I was relieved to find this out on my last plain cell phone renewal, but I can't say that they do it for iPhones. At any rate, it's typical and not invented just this afternoon by Phil.
  • Reply 40 of 429
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    I have been an AT&T customer since the early 90's--almost 20 years.

But I bet because of the network issues, the flubbed launches, tethering, MMS, and now this, in 2011 I will be using my iPhone 4G on the Verizon network.

There is no way that Apple privately is happy with AT&T. No way.