iPhone 3G users to pay $200 premium for early upgrade to iPhone 3G S

Comments

• Reply 61 of 429
    loneratolonerato Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post

I talked to an AT&T Manager in Sacramento right after the Keynote and he says the upgrade policy hasn't been decided yet and that last year everyone was able to upgrade with a new contract for the same price as all new customers. So I am not convinced this $200 premium will be in effect by next Friday. If it is I'm with you on early cancelation and new contract. Why spend another $25 above the early cancellation $175 penalty? That's why I don't think they will keep the $200 higher charge to upgrade rather than deal with a bunch of canceled agreements. \No. Last year existing iPhone customers were able to upgrade to the iPhone 3G for the same price as new customers - no early adopter penalty. The $200 penalty for existing contract holders is INSANE and UNFAIR.

I also agree with you about the 200 premium since a ton of people could wind of becoming churn on their numbers.
  • Reply 62 of 429
    loneratolonerato Posts: 54member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

What is your plan, give them a different social security number to try and prove you are a new customer? Good luck with that.

You cancel the line of service and then you can reopen a line if the account is still active or they rerun your credit. You use your same SSN and it happens all then time with cellphone companies
  • Reply 63 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

I wonder what AT&T's policy will be for customers who purchased an iPhone 3G just a couple weeks ago?

HURRY-30 day returns allowed.

Can I ask? WHY would you have done this two weeks ago
  • Reply 64 of 429
    aduzikaduzik Posts: 94member
    Does anyone have any idea why my account wouldn't be eligible until December 12 for a discounted upgrade? I bought both the original iPhone and iPhone 3G on their respective release dates. Everyone else seems to be able to upgrade their iPhone 3G on July 12. What gives?
  • Reply 65 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poochie543 View Post

I signed a 2 year contract with my iphone last July, but for some reason, the ATT site says I can upgrade on 12/22/2009. What's the deal?

You get full discount after 18 months of service.
  • Reply 66 of 429
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

You're buying out your old contract for $200.

Then you put down $199 or $299 for the new iPhone 3GS that is subsidised by AT&T by around $400 - $500 from the price they pay Apple. Because of this subsidy, they want you to go on a 2 year contract so that they can spread the cost to you.

OR

You're paying $399 or $499 for the device, which is still subsidised, you've just paid half the subsidy. You still have one year of your existing subsidy to run, and this additional half a subsidy adds another year on - hence two years.

What was interesting to me, was the statement on AT&T's upgrade eligibility page:

"As a valued AT&T customer, AT&T can offer you an early iPhone upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. You may qualify for a standard iPhone upgrade on 12/12/2009."

Are they trying to get a year-end boost in sales?
  • Reply 67 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aduzik View Post

Does anyone have any idea why my account wouldn't be eligible until December 12 for a discounted upgrade? I bought both the original iPhone and iPhone 3G on their respective release dates. Everyone else seems to be able to upgrade their iPhone 3G on July 12. What gives?

Umm No-That is what this tread is about. If you have 18 months of service, you get full discount.

The fact that you bought a 3G started your two years over.

However, last year the "upgrade" price started this way. By the time you could actually buy a 3G-AT$T had relented.
  • Reply 68 of 429
    ldmldm Posts: 1member
    Everyone's comment's are really right on mark -- technically, yeah, AT&T is following their general upgrade policies, and technically, yeah, people who upgraded to 3G last summer should have to wait until their anniversary date to get the subsidized pricing. Technically.

HOWEVER, there is more at stake for both companies than keeping in line with dates of contracts, anniversaries, and pricing policies.

Even AT&T has "special" policies regarding the iPhone, and even different special policies for business accounts. As the exclusive carrier (in the U.S.) we're all forced to use AT&T. (Mind you, I had AT&T prior to the iPhone as well) -- But once they are not the exclusive carrier, why should anyone keep them as a provider? With all the glitches and network issues, and now the whole MMS/Tethering issue, they really aren't in such an awfully good place to mess with Apple customers! If, like last year, they waived the premium, I wouldn't even *think* about switching carriers. As it stands now, if there is a premium to be paid, I will move my business accounts from AT&T next Friday and will not purchase the new iPhone until my "anniversary." I asked about early termination -- $125 for me. It's cheaper than paying the premium and the $18 upgrade and I won't have to add another 2 years to my contract! That's just DUMB business, no?? If my loyalty to AT&T is not appreciated, perhaps Verizon would rather have my business accounts?

APPLE customers are intensely loyal, and they are the ones who spend hours in line for the new products. I stood in line twice for the new iPhone! All those sales figures reported after the first month of the iPhone releases were from sales to Apple loyalists who adopted early just because it was from Apple. How many people did I convert to Mac computer and the iPhone? How many Apple products do I personally own? TONS!

SO, whatever they do now has a huge impact on their future sales and loyalty base. It's not money in their pocket today, that's true -- however, in the long run they will lose a lot of customers, including me.
  • Reply 69 of 429
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I bought my iPhone 3G on July 14th and it shows I will be qualified for an upgrade after Dec 13th 2009!! It is not one year for me. If I am going to pay double I might as well get one of my friends in Italy or Australia to send an unlocked version.
  • Reply 70 of 429
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Every cell carrier has the same policy when it comes to upgrading a phone before the contract has expired, especially for an expensive phone that is subsidized. This should not be a surprise to anyone. People should enjoy their 3G phone with the free 3.0 update because you know there will be a better model out next summer. I am sure there will be some that blow their money on the 3GS and then complain next year when a new phone comes out and they have to blow more money to upgrade again. But I am sure Apple and AT&T don't mind those customers at all.

My first gen iPhone is rock solid with the aluminum back and cheaper service plan. I have another year on my 2 year contract (I was late adopter and waited for the 16 GB model to arrive). So I can skip the 3GS and get something even better next summer.
  • Reply 71 of 429
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I talked to an AT&T Manager in Sacramento right after the Keynote and he says the upgrade policy hasn't been decided yet and that last year everyone was able to upgrade with a new contract for the same price as all new customers. So I am not convinced this $200 premium will be in effect by next Friday. If it is I'm with you on early cancelation and new contract. Why spend another $25 above the early cancellation $175 penalty? That's why I don't think they will keep the $200 higher charge to upgrade rather than deal with a bunch of canceled agreements. \No. Last year existing iPhone customers were able to upgrade to the iPhone 3G for the same price as new customers - no early adopter penalty. The $200 penalty for existing contract holders is INSANE and UNFAIR.

Unbelievable! Someone AT&T is unfair with the iPhone despite this being the same process for all carriers and all phones under contracts in the US... and elsewhere. There is nothing unfair about it.

The original iPhone was not subsidized! So AT&T can only gain by having you sign up for a new 2 year contract. What remains to be seen is how much AT&T has made against their current high-payout to Apple and if they will find that making the upgrade price lower for iPhone 3G users is needed. Since people that have had their iPhone 3Gs a full year will only have to pay a $115 cancelation fee, it may behoove them to drop the in-contract, upgrade eligible price for current iPhone 3G users that have had accounts for about a year to only $100 above the out-of-contract, upgrade eligible price to reduce the canceling and resigning up of contracts, which adds a lot of work to AT&T employees and actually hurts their numbers for cancelations despite helping them in their new customer additions.
  • Reply 71 of 429
    demenasdemenas Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by renegade View Post

So far as I can tell, AT&T is only requiring a one year wait before allowing the subsidized price.

My one year anniv. from my iPhone 3G is 7/12, which is what the website says for me to get the subsidized pricing.

Prior to that date, its $200 more.

My wife got my iPhone 2G and is currently eligible for the normal subsidized pricing. I have asked a few friends who also go iPhone 3G's but on different dates, theirs also show their 1 year anniv. as the date they are eligible for the subsidy. One for example is 7/17/09.

Here is mine....

Mine shows 12/12/09 !! Why I wonder? I bought my 3G the day they were released. (Just like I did with the first iPhone). Ugh.

Steve
  • Reply 73 of 429
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BWhaler View Post

I have been an AT&T customer since the early 90's--almost 20 years.

But I bet because of the network issues, the flubbed launches, tethering, MMS, and now this, in 2011 I will be using my iPhone 4G on the Verizon network.

There is no way that Apple privately is happy with AT&T. No way.

I've been saying that for years and constantly get bashed by solipism and his ilk keep saying blah , blah, blah and defending the AT&T/Apple partnership- how Apple loves the crappy signal, defend AT&T at the bottom of Consumer Reports, etc,etc, etc.
  • Reply 74 of 429
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Every cell carrier has the same policy when it comes to upgrading a phone before the contract has expired, especially for an expensive phone that is subsidized. This should not be a surprise to anyone. People should enjoy their 3G phone with the free 3.0 update because you know there will be a better model out next summer. I am sure there will be some that blow their money on the 3GS and then complain next year when a new phone comes out and they have to blow more money to upgrade again. But I am sure Apple and AT&T don't mind those customers at all.

My first gen iPhone is rock solid with the aluminum back and cheaper service plan. I have another year on my 2 year contract (I was late adopter and waited for the 16 GB model to arrive). So I can skip the 3GS and get something even better next summer.

Frist gen plus 2 years equals now?Can't you even add?

Next summer? Don't you use your calculator on your iPhone besides fart apps?
  • Reply 75 of 429
    ijohnijohn Posts: 16member
    Quote:

Last year existing iPhone customers were able to upgrade to the iPhone 3G for the same price as new customers - no early adopter penalty. The $200 penalty for existing contract holders is INSANE and UNFAIR.

There was a reason for that. The original iPhones weren't subsidized, therefore AT&T weren't losing any money.

Has anyone ever bought a phone before the iPhone? Every carrier has at least an 18 month wait period on subsidized smartphones.

The olden days of just the normal phone, it was easier to get an early upgrade because the carrier wasn't in the hole as much with the cost.

If you think it's insane and unfair, go get a Blackberry Storm at Verizon and go back in 11 months wanting an upgrade, see how far that gets you.

It's possible they may change the policy, who knows. I know they do make more per customer with the iPhone than any other phone they have. Currently, it's in line with every other carrier.
  • Reply 76 of 429
    bigmigbigmig Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I bought my iPhone 3G on July 14th and it shows I will be qualified for an upgrade after Dec 13th 2009!! It is not one year for me. If I am going to pay double I might as well get one of my friends in Italy or Australia to send an unlocked version.

The exact length of time before you qualify for an upgrade is determined by some complex algorithm relating to the average amount you pay per month and is not fully understood by mere mortals such as ourselves. You're actually better off than I am...I bought my iPhone 3G around the same time as you, but I don't qualify for full subsidies until next March. I'm not surprised since I only pay $60/month for voice and data combined (before taxes and fees).
  • Reply 77 of 429
    aduzikaduzik Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Enigmafan420 View Post

Umm No-That is what this tread is about. If you have 18 months of service, you get full discount.

The fact that you bought a 3G started your two years over.

However, last year the "upgrade" price started this way. By the time you could actually buy a 3G-AT$T had relented.

Then how do you explain the others who also bought their iPhones on July 12 and are eligible for discounted pricing on July 12? They've posted pictures from Apple's upgrade site that prove it. What's more, December 12, 2009 is 17 months from July 12, 2009, so even that isn't 18 months.
  • Reply 78 of 429
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    AT&T is not thinking this through. Long lines will not be as long at the Apple/AT&T stores this year generating the publicity they want. Everyone is cash strapped and the people that have crowded their stores the previous two years won't be there in the same numbers as before. Maybe "not as long" lines are still long, just not filled with people who share the same enthusiasm.

Fine with me. I wait and maybe I decide not to give them one penny more than I have contractually agreed too.
  • Reply 79 of 429
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

I gather bad luck follows you wherever you go.

Nah, just internet trolls.

• Reply 80 of 429
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,303member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BWhaler View Post

I have been an AT&T customer since the early 90's--almost 20 years.

But I bet because of the network issues, the flubbed launches, tethering, MMS, and now this, in 2011 I will be using my iPhone 4G on the Verizon network.

There is no way that Apple privately is happy with AT&T. No way.

Ill take that bet. Verizon WONT be carrying iPhones that soon, not when they are salivating for new crackberrys and hoping to get the Pre. They have shunned the iPhone once, and don't want to seem weak nor do they want to give their users any power over their phones without turning them upside down and shake all the money out of them. Examples: Crippled bluetooth, no wireless sync, Syncing only with phones that have funky cables you purchase from guess who, calling them to activate your phone when switching phones (that is so early 90's), etc. I'm not saying that Verizon will NEVER have iPhones on their network, they just won't have them anytime soon (2-3 years).

I too have been an AT&T, Cingular and The New AT&T customer for about the same time as you. Way before GSM, when Ericsson made decent phones. From TDMA to GSM I stuck with them, when they were bought out by Cingular, I stayed with them, and when Southwest Bell bought Cingular and changed the name back to AT&T I stayed. Well, they still suck. They are getting a bit better year after year. Their coverage isn't as good as Verizon (which uses old tech still), and sucks less than Sprint (why they still have crappy signals I have no idea).

The amazing thing is that the iPhone is such a nice piece of tech that even former Verizon customers will take AT&T's crappy network over theirs just to use it. You don't see that with RIMM or Palm stuff.