iPhone 3G users to pay $200 premium for early upgrade to iPhone 3G S

Comments

• Reply 81 of 429
    jr_bjr_b Posts: 64member
    If I'm going to have to wait until 12/12/09 before I can purchase a 32 GB iPhone for $299, I might as well wait another 6 months to see what Apple introduces at WWDC 2010. Great job Apple and AT&T.
  • Reply 82 of 429
    sesnirsesnir Posts: 4member
    Last year I had to pay $499 for my 16gb 3G (became an AT&T customer with the BlackJack a year earlier)... this year, the apple site says it'd cost me $699... maybe after July 12th it'll only cost me $499 again. I'll never get to buy it for $299 if they keep releasing a new model every 11-12 months...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jr_b View Post

If I'm going to have to wait until 12/12/09 before I can purchase a 32 GB iPhone for $299, I might as well wait another 6 months to see what Apple introduces at WWDC 2010. Great job Apple and AT&T.

That's what I was thinking too. I bought my MBP in January too and that taught me to never buy an apple product unless it's June :P
  • Reply 83 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmig View Post

The exact length of time before you qualify for an upgrade is determined by some complex algorithm relating to the average amount you pay per month and is not fully understood by mere mortals such as ourselves. You're actually better off than I am...I bought my iPhone 3G around the same time as you, but I don't qualify for full subsidies until next March. I'm not surprised since I only pay $60/month for voice and data combined (before taxes and fees).

God if that is true-I wonder how much you need to spend to upgrade in a year?!?

I have a family plan 700-2 iPhones, 2 other phones and family text plan.

Bill is $180 before taxes each month! I know business users may scoff at this, but it is a LOT more than my old Family plan of 2 lines with no text and no data
  • Reply 84 of 429
    ijohnijohn Posts: 16member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

What was interesting to me, was the statement on AT&T's upgrade eligibility page:

"As a valued AT&T customer, AT&T can offer you an early iPhone upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. You may qualify for a standard iPhone upgrade on 12/12/2009."

Are they trying to get a year-end boost in sales?

No, this is standard policy for AT&T. If you bought your iPhone on July 12, they usually have an 18 month wait period, but will give a month grace period on top of that (basically a 17 month wait to upgrade).

If you have multiple lines on your account, and have a phone eligible for upgrade, they can upgrade that plan to your new iPhone plan, then they will transfer it your current number complete with new iPhone 3GS. It takes a little longer and they may be unwilling to do it on day of launch, but they will do it. I upgraded my girlfriends phone that way.
  • Reply 85 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aduzik View Post

Then how do you explain the others who also bought their iPhones on July 12 and are eligible for discounted pricing on July 12? They've posted pictures from Apple's upgrade site that prove it. What's more, December 12, 2009 is 17 months from July 12, 2009, so even that isn't 18 months.

Because after you have had service for 17 months-you are in your 18th month of service and they are going to bill you for the whole month. December 12, 2009 means there has been 17 full months of service since 7/12/08.

I know it is based on timely bill payments, among other things.
  • Reply 86 of 429
    oh_aromoh_arom Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poochie543 View Post

I signed a 2 year contract with my iphone last July, but for some reason, the ATT site says I can upgrade on 12/22/2009. What's the deal?

I just got off the phone with an ATT rep. He said it is not just the length of contract that determines when you get the discount. It is the total length of service, how much biz you do with them, etc. Last July was when I had my first contract with ATT and he said that is probably why it is 01/04/2010 for me. Kinda stupid if you ask me.... I bet the people that can upgrade in July have been with ATT longer then 2 years
  • Reply 87 of 429
    AT&T does say I can get a full discount at July something or the other:

\t

WIRELESS CALLER, 425-XXX-XXXX

You can take advantage of our no commitment pricing. Additional discounts may be available on 07/17/2009

\t

Select

iPhone Upgrade

As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a higher price, along with a 2-year commitment and an $18 upgrade fee. Please proceed with the online upgrade process for pricing details. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 07/17/2009
  • Reply 88 of 429
    afishertxafishertx Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmig View Post

The exact length of time before you qualify for an upgrade is determined by some complex algorithm relating to the average amount you pay per month and is not fully understood by mere mortals such as ourselves. You're actually better off than I am...I bought my iPhone 3G around the same time as you, but I don't qualify for full subsidies until next March. I'm not surprised since I only pay $60/month for voice and data combined (before taxes and fees).

I have a family plan with 2100 minutes, unlimted texting and 4 iPhones on it. I give AT&T almost $400 per month. I am being told March as well, and I was one of the ones waiting in line July 11th. I just want to know why some are July, some are December, and some of us really unlucky ones got March?
  • Reply 89 of 429
    danacamerondanacameron Posts: 337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by renegade View Post

So far as I can tell, AT&T is only requiring a one year wait before allowing the subsidized price.

My one year anniv. from my iPhone 3G is 7/12, which is what the website says for me to get the subsidized pricing.

Prior to that date, its $200 more.

My wife got my iPhone 2G and is currently eligible for the normal subsidized pricing. I have asked a few friends who also go iPhone 3G's but on different dates, theirs also show their 1 year anniv. as the date they are eligible for the subsidy. One for example is 7/17/09.

This isn't the case for me for some reason. I got my iPhone 3G on 7/11/08 like many others and my subsidized pricing eligibility date is 12/12/09. WTF??

Higher capacity (32GB) and snappier performance are definite draws, but thus far I'm inclined to forego upgrading to the 3GS for a while (if at all). I hope there will be some pricing adjustments made in the coming weeks in response to the customer backlash that's sure to ensue.

Besides, the 3.0 firmware update will greatly improve my iPhone anyway. I just hope 3.0 improves BT connectivity; I'm tired of switching BT headsets!
  • Reply 90 of 429
    aduzikaduzik Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Enigmafan420 View Post

Because after you have had service for 17 months-you are in your 18th month of service and they are going to bill you for the whole month. December 12, 2009 means there has been 17 full months of service since 7/12/08.

I know it is based on timely bill payments, among other things.

I have never made a late payment. Ever. But, regardless, why do some people get better pricing earlier? No one seems to be able to answer that question definitively.
  • Reply 91 of 429
    Quote:

I have never made a late payment. Ever. But, regardless, why do some people get better pricing earlier? No one seems to be able to answer that question definitively.

Seems to be a lot of variables that only ATT knows about. I guess the only good thing is if you buy it at the full price you dont need to extend your contract for another 2 years. So if it ever goes to Verizon you can leave no strings attached next year.....
  • Reply 92 of 429
    aduzikaduzik Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oh_arom View Post

Seems to be a lot of variables that only ATT knows about.

That's what I'm starting to believe.

If the market for used iPhones holds up -- but who knows, given the iPhone 3G price drop -- you could easily sell your existing one for at least as much as the price difference if you had to have one on day one. I'd rather keep the iPhone 3G for development, though.
  • Reply 93 of 429
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Notice how solipism and his ilk are missing with all these complaints goin' on. Where is he? Hiding under an AT&T pole?
  • Reply 94 of 429
    Quote:

That's what I'm starting to believe.

If the market for used iPhones holds up -- but who knows, given the iPhone 3G price drop -- you could easily sell your existing one for at least as much as the price difference if you had to have one on day one. I'd rather keep the iPhone 3G for development, though.

Yeah, they are going on average $350 jailbroken on eBay. So there is your subsidiary!! and no need to extend your contract out...
  • Reply 94 of 429
    ianmac47ianmac47 Posts: 43member
    Why then wouldn't "existing" customers simply terminate their current contracts, pay $175 ETF (or less if they have a prorated ETF), and sign up as a new customer?
  • Reply 96 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ianmac47 View Post

Why then wouldn't "existing" customers simply terminate their current contracts, pay $175 ETF (or less if they have a prorated ETF), and sign up as a new customer?

Not going to happen, there is a 60 day grace before you can sign back up after termination.
  • Reply 97 of 429
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomhayes View Post

This happened last year right after the keynote - and then AT&T came out with an upgrade policy with no $200 premium a week later (and before launch.)

I'll try to find a link, but I remember this *distinctly* from last time too.

Whatever happened in the past - ATT did not invest $400-500 in your purchase of the iPhone 2G, so when the 3G came around, it had no reason to resist giving you an upgrade price. This time around, unless you paid the full price of the 3G (which you didn't), plan on paying $200 more than the upgrade price, which is also $200 less than the no contract price.

Sorry!
  • Reply 98 of 429
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ianmac47 View Post

You'll lose your number, unless you transfer it to a PAYG then flip it back!
  • Reply 99 of 429
    pixegenpixegen Posts: 1member
    It's worse than that. I could live with the 12 months restriction from the iPhone 3G purchase date before I could upgrade to the iPhone 3GS. Since I bought my iPhone 3G on July 11 2008 (launch date), that would mean only waiting another month.

But because I've been a loyal Apple/AT&T customer, and I bought the original iPhone before I bought the iPhone 3G, I'm being made to wait 18 months instead of 12 before I'm offered the "unsubsidized" price of $199/$299. For me, that is 12/12/09.

So thanks AT&T. You just earned the animosity of someone who was generally not offended by your service (although your network doesn't compare to Verizon). I sure hope another US carrier doesn't land the iPhone soon, or you may find people remember crap like this for a long time.

As it is, I'll just have to make due with my iPhone3G until Christmas I guess.I guess I can spend that $300 elsewhere.
  • Reply 100 of 429
    agnuke1707agnuke1707 Posts: 487member
    Quote:

People have answered this - no one seems to like the answer though. AT&T doesn't have a 12 month upgrade or an 18 month upgrade policy, their policy is subjective to how long you have been a customer and how much business you're doing with them. As stated earlier - it's a complex algorithm that mere mortals need not understand. Before the iPhone I tried upgrading phones on AT&T, and some warm-hearted customer service rep took the time to explain this to me. If I had been a customer for a certain amount of time (he wouldn't say how long) or had spent a certain amount of money on the account (he wouldn't say how much) then I'd be eligible for an upgrade after 12 months ... if not, then I had to wait 18 months. It's been AT&T's policy long before Apple came along.

The best thing you can do is call AT&T customer service and POLITELY ask them why you don't qualify for an upgrade at 12 months. Who knows, maybe they'll be nice, understand you need to spend more money and let you slip through...