Apple unveils new iPhone 3.0 features, sets release for June 17th

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
At WWDC, Apple revealed a few new details related to its iPhone 3.0 operating system update for existing iPhone and iPod touch users, including its release date set for June 17, 2009. Meanwhile, new information clarifies why U.S. wireless carrier AT&T has delayed support for tethering and MMS features of the software.

iPhone Software 3.0 will appear as a free download on June 17th for iPhone user, which is just two days before the iPhone 3G S goes on sale. iPod touch users will be able to obtain the update for $9.95.

Newly unveiled features

While many features in iPhone 3.0 were announced back in March, a few new ones have only been hinted at by developer leaks since then but were confirmed by Apple today, including:

Purchase and rental of movies from iTunes, along with TV shows, music videos, audiobooks, and new access to free iTunes U content. The software also supports creating a new iTunes account directly from the device.

Shake to shuffle in iTunes playback.

New Parental Controls limiting the iPhone App Store software by a content rating, as well as ratings limitations on movies and TV shows.

New features for MobileMe subscribers, including a web based interface to pinpoint the location of an iPhone on a map, send it a text message, have it play a sound in order to find it locally, and remote wipe the device to destroy all local data when the phone is lost or stolen.

New Safari features, including autofill and the use of contact information to fill out forms, much faster JavaScript, and support for new HTML5 features.

New details about AT&T support for tethering, MMS

Apple also revealed that its US partner won't be supporting the tethering features it built into iPhone 3.0. The company tactfully describes the feature as "not currently offered in the US." Apple is clearly using its leverage in being able to attract mobile subscribers to push global mobile providers to support the feature, but AT&T has been unable to support it so far.

The company already allows tethering on other phones it sells when the user pays extra fees, but its network would face a significant hit were tethering opened up to iPhone users who are likely to use it extensively, given how easy Apple has made it. Even iPhones cracked to run on T-Mobile as an alternative provider won't be able to take advantage of tethering, as T-Mobile does not support 3G data service compatible with the iPhone.

MMS features, including the ability to send pictures, audio and video clips, contacts and location files as multimedia text files, are planned for support on AT&T's network "in late summer." Speaking in an interview, AT&T Executive Director Mark Siegel insisted that support for MMS was not related to the company's 3G network but said it was a secondary service.

Asked if support for tethering was tied to the same system upgrade, Siegel answered "Yes. But we don't have a date for when we will announce tethering, but it won't be at the end of the summer."

The interviewer also stated that Apple and AT&T had initially resisted support for MMS messaging as a protocol, calling it "ugly" and hoping to direct users to use free email instead.

The MMS service upgrade AT&T is rolling out to support the iPhone 3.0 software is part of a larger upgrade happening this year. Apple's website also notes that "MMS is not supported on first-generation iPhone. Sending video via MMS is not supported on iPhone 3G."

iPhone 3.0 features unique to iPhone 3G S

Meanwhile, some features of iPhone Software 3.0 rely upon or are enhanced by new hardware unique to the new iPhone 3G S. These include:

Support for Voice Control, a new app for voice dialing or voice command of iTunes playback. Use of the app requires the new phone's faster processor.

Support for new features in the improved new camera, including rapid shutter; low light; macro and autofocus; touch controls for automatic refocus, exposure and white balance settings; and higher resolution 3 Megapixel images.

Support for video capture, including trim editing and MMS delivery of video clips and publishing to YouTube and MobileMe.

Hardware encryption of all internal data. This makes remote wipe instantaneous because the system can blank the device without needing to scrub individual files using secure delete.

Support for faster 7.2 Mbps HSDPA 3G data service where available for faster browsing and downloads.

Electronic compass support for indicating the direction you are facing and orienting map display.

Accessibility features including the Voice Over screen reader and triple tapping to zoom the display.

Nike + iPod support for use with running shoe sensors and other gym equipment.

Developers received access to a gold master version of iPhone 3.0 software today with instructions to ensure their apps were compatible and to assign their apps a rating appropriate to their content for Parental Controls. The 3.0 software will be made available to the public on June 17, and the iPhone 3G S will go on sale two days later on June 19 from Apple, AT&T, BestBuy, and WalMart.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I find it extremely hard to believe that it was AT&T that thought MMS was ugly when it's a cash cow for them. That decision has SJ and SJ alone written all over it. If you have MMS you have less need for MobileME. Plain and simple.
  • Reply 2 of 76
    hunt70hunt70 Posts: 1member
    OS 3.0 will be great, but on AT&T's network it does not make sense to purchase a 3GS phone until they upgrade their cellular network or Apple eliminates the exclusivity deal between them.

With AT&T you miss:

- NO 7.2 Mbps: I travel all around the US and rarely get over 700k connection speeds

- NO MMS

- NO tethering

- NO TV streaming: i.e. Slingbox streaming

....soon Apple will see AT&T as the limiting growth factor in the US.

Cheers,
  • Reply 3 of 76
    Quote:

Asked if support for tethering was tied to the same system upgrade, Siegel answered "Yes. But we don't have a date for when we will announce tethering, but it won't be at the end of the summer."

Well, some of us are GM 3.0 and STILL tethering just fine you pompous windbag. So make your service work like it's supposed to and we'll keep giving you money. Screw this up and expect Apple and it's customers to jump ship to another carrier. Your upgrade will be worthless if you wait so damn long you run off your customers.
  • Reply 4 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hunt70 View Post

OS 3.0 will be great, but on AT&T's network it does not make sense to purchase a 3GS phone until they upgrade their cellular network or Apple eliminates the exclusivity deal between them.

With AT&T you miss:

- NO 7.2 Mbps: I travel all around the US and rarely get over 700k connection speeds

- NO MMS

- NO tethering

- NO TV streaming: i.e. Slingbox streaming

....soon Apple will see AT&T as the limiting growth factor in the US.

Cheers,

Soon? In fact they would have had ever greater sales if the had gone with another carrier be it T-Mobile or whoever. AT&T has boxed Apple into a hole- a real big fat one.
  • Reply 5 of 76
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    So, does anybody know if this new iPhone has a faster processor?

How about a faster graphics card?
  • Reply 6 of 76
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

So, does anybody know if this new iPhone has a faster processor?

How about a faster graphics card?

We'll know June 19th once its torn down.
  • Reply 7 of 76
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    Sorry to be out of order, but...STAY AWAY FROM THE NEW SAFARI 4!

I love new stuff, but this one bombed five times already. Thank God (and Steve) for Time Machine. I reloaded my S4 beta in less time than rebooting the new Bad S4. (Besides, all my fixes such as the nicer original tabs, rather than the fakey Windows styled ones, and the original proper tools, like stop/reload, in the toolbar went back to stupidity in today's download of Safari!) Besides the beta of 4 is 13 megs, the new version today is 48 megs? Who rewrote this-Microsoft?

Somebody needs to speak with Andy Hertzfeld about writing precise and minimal code. Apple-check your resumes!
  • Reply 8 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I find it extremely hard to believe that it was AT&T that thought MMS was ugly when it's a cash cow for them. That decision has SJ and SJ alone written all over it. If you have MMS you have less need for MobileME. Plain and simple.

And yet the MMS ready v3.0 won?t have MMS on AT&T?s network. That tidbit conveniently slipped your mind?
  • Reply 9 of 76
    BuffyzDeadBuffyzDead Posts: 356member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rnp1 View Post

I love new stuff, but this one bombed five times already. Thank God (and Steve) for Time Machine. I reloaded my S4 beta in less time than rebooting the new Bad S4. (Besides, all my fixes such as the proper tools, like stop/reload, in the toolbar went back to stupidity in today's download of Safari!) Besides the beta of 4 is 13 gigs, the new version today is 48 gigs? Who rewrote this-Microsoft?

Somebody needs to speak with Andy Hertzfeld about writing precise and minimal code. Apple-check your resumes!

Mine works to perfection and lickity split, but then again, I don't have any funky add-ons, plugins or hacks. Be sure you root out any of that out before you assume it's the new software.
  • Reply 10 of 76
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

I love new stuff, but this one bombed five times already. Thank God (and Steve) for Time Machine. I reloaded my S4 beta in less time than rebooting the new Bad S4. (Besides, all my fixes such as the nicer original tabs, rather than the fakey Windows styled ones, and the original proper tools, like stop/reload, in the toolbar went back to stupidity in today's download of Safari!) Besides the beta of 4 is 13 megs, the new version today is 48 megs? Who rewrote this-Microsoft?

I have the opposite experience. Safari 4 is much faster than the beta and stable so far.
  • Reply 11 of 76
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:

. If you have MMS you have less need for MobileME.

How so? I've had MobileMe(dotmac) before there was ever an iPhone. How exactly does MMS take the place of mobileme?

Does MMS sync my contacts, bookmarks, calendar, keychains, mail accounts, dashboard widgets, notes, or my computer settings?

Are you saying now that I have MMS, I can cancel mobileme because MMS does the exact same thing?

Does MMS keep my iphoto library current on the web and across my devices?

Explain...
  • Reply 12 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And yet the MMS ready v3.0 won’t have MMS on AT&T’s network. That tidbit conveniently slipped your mind?

But it will eventually once the patch network comes of age.
  • Reply 13 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I have the opposite experience. Safari 4 is much faster than the beta and stable so far.

Do you have more than one page or loaded tab open? Have you watched a video yet? Do you like the fact that it is more Windows like? I don't-I've had a mouse since 1984, and I don't like Windows features regurgitated into Apple software! There are standards and they should be adhered to. You can't improve on perfect by copying a copy-that's insanity. I repeat: Apple check your resumes!
  • Reply 14 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

How so? I've had MobileMe(dotmac) before there was ever an iPhone. How exactly does MMS take the place of mobileme?

Does MMS sync my contacts, bookmarks, calendar, keychains, mail accounts, dashboard widgets, notes, or my computer settings?

Are you saying now that I have MMS, I can cancel mobileme because MMS does the exact same thing?

Does MMS keep my iphoto library current on the web and across my devices?

Explain...

It's all indirect . If you have MMS on your phone you don't need an active email account nor have a need to constantly open up email as messages go directly to your phone number, therefor there really is no need for an email account or one that handles large volume (mobileme account). If a salesperson is trying to sell you an account along with your phone because your phone lacks texting you would be more apt to purchase one - for the Apple synergy effect. It's like the same reason they won't sell the iPhone without the data plan- they both make more money, not just AT&T alone. It benefits them to not have MMS and sell mail accounts
  • Reply 15 of 76
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Do you have more than one page or loaded tab open?Have you watched a video yet? Do you like the fact that it is more Windows like? I don't-I've had a mouse since 1984, and I don't like Windows features regurgitated into Apple software! There are standards and they should be adhered to. You can't improve on perfect by copying a copy-that's insanity. I repeat: Apple check your resumes!

Yes, currently I have more than three tabs open.

Yes, I watched few videos on Youtube and Apple.com.

I don't know what makes it Windows Like? It still looks like Safari. Do you mean putting the tabs back to where they were before beta?! Please explain what is Windows like in Safari 4.
  • Reply 16 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

But it will eventually once the patch network comes of age.

So how is that Jobs? fault? Granted, i don?t understand how AT&T can have MMS with their other phones, but I don?t see how this is blatantly Jobs doing.
  • Reply 17 of 76
    simulacrasimulacra Posts: 20member
    According to the 3.0 software "globe" graphic shown at the 2009 roadmap there is a "Call log" feature displayed, can any of you beta tester verify that 3.0 has the ability to shown call duration and direction when browsing recent calls, I've always hated that I cant get any details on previous calls.

Someting that ALL my previous phones have been able to do.
  • Reply 18 of 76
    nitronitro Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by

Support for faster 7.2 Mbps HSDPA 3G data service where available for faster browsing and downloads.

.[c

[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ][/c]

All right!!! in Australia Telstra will have 21 MBs on there Next G. Price however is "walletectomy"
  • Reply 19 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Yes, currently I have more than three tabs open.

Yes, I watched few videos on Youtube and Apple.com.

I don't know what makes it Windows Like? It still looks like Safari. Do you mean putting the tabs back to where they were before beta?! Please explain what is Windows like in Safari 4.

1. The drop of the toolbar icons without cause is very unApple. If you taught One to One, you'd have to tough time explaining that to a retired couple who migrated from Windows just to get away from such foolishness! (Where is the knob to turn on the wind shield wipers?)

2. Switching the close 'x' to the right on a tab has the same consequences! Again, why does my Honda have the lights knob on one side and my Dodge have it on the other? Apple has always had standards-Windows just does what ever they like! I'm pissed, and I don't wanna take it anymore. Shame on all of you who think this kind of stuff is Ok for Apple-it is not! Chaos is for Maxwell Smart. Give me menus from the top, resize in the lower right. Once you establish something, you don't change it! First, it shows you didn't think about it from the start, secondly it shows disrespect for the users! When the Mac was created and the Desktop software was improved by the folks who signed my 128K, they made some great choices and functional decisions that still are here today-except when the MS guys get hired by Apple!
  • Reply 20 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

So how is that Jobs’ fault? Granted, i don’t understand how AT&T can have MMS with their other phones, but I don’t see how this is blatantly Jobs doing.

Do you really believe AT&T thought MMS "ugly" on the iPhone?

Come on - who's philosophy would that truly invoke?