Apple posts QuickTime stream of WWDC 2009 Keynote Address

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Monday evening made available through its website a QuickTime video stream of its WWDC 2009 keynote address from earlier in the day that ushered in more affordable Mac notebooks and the iPhone 3G S.

The Cupertino-based company used the near 2-hour presentation to announce more affordable 17-inch MacBook Pros and 15-inch MacBook Pros, the latter of which now share the same built-in battery technology as their larger cousins while also debuting new SD Card slots, faster processors, and higher quality displays.

The 13-inch unibody MacBooks received similar treatment and have therefore been rebranded as 13-inch MacBook Pros. Among their improvements are faster processors, higher quality displays, the addition of FireWire 800, SD Card slots, built-in battery technology, as well as back-lit keyboards and reduced pricing across the line. MacBook Airs were also updated with faster chips and more affordable pricing.

Apple also announced plans to launch Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard as a $29 upgrade for existing Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard users in September. The software will arrive alongside Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Server, which will sell for $499 with unlimited client licensing.

The highlight of the event, however, was the new iPhone 3G S, which Apple said would perform up to twice as fast as its predecessor. Some of its enhancements include a digital compass, 3-megapixel camera with auto focus and video recording, as well as voice control and new accessibility features.

Click here to view the QuickTime video feed of Apple's WWDC 2009 Keynote Address.

Additionally, Apple also announced plans to launch iPhone Software 3.0 on June 17th (save for MMS and tethering support) and said it will begin selling the existing 8GB iPhone 3G for $99 with new two-year AT&T contracts beginning today. The iPhone 3G S will be available for $199 and $299 in 16GB and 32GB, respectively, when it goes on sale two days later on June 19th.

However, the $199 and $299 price points are for new AT&T customers or those eligible for upgrade pricing because they're more than halfway through their two-year contracts. Customers who aren't halfway through their contracts -- i.e. those who purchased an iPhone 3G immediately following its release -- will have to pay a $200 premium to upgrade to an iPhone 3G S early.

Other announcements at WWDC include the release of Safari 4.0 and the debut of several new third-party iPhone Apps, including the first official turn-by-turn GPS driving app from TomTom. For all of AppleInsider's coverage from the conference, see the links below:

Live Coverage from WWDC 2009

Apple debuts speedier iPhone 3G S with built-in video camera

iPhone 3G users to pay $200 premium for early upgrade to iPhone 3G S

Apple unveils new iPhone 3.0 features, sets release for June 17th

iPhone OS 3.0 app highlights: TomTom GPS, Line 6, more

Apple unveils faster, more affordable MacBook Pros

Apple introduces 13-inch MacBook Pro, cheaper MacBook Airs

Apple's Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard to retail for $29 in September

Apple's Snow Leopard Server to offer 64-bit power for $499

Apple releases Safari 4 as "world's fastest browser"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    jimerljimerl Posts: 53member
    nice. i saw one of snow's refinements is 'put back from trash.' something i've missed from os7! i wonder if handles put back for thingies you move from a folder to the desktop.

oh yeah and the new iphone looks pretty wicked frickin awesome too.

it's weird at some of the things that that audience does and doesn't applaud. nothing for some things I think are impressive.

m$ answer to an update that is 6gb smaller - vista upgrade to 3.11

didja notice the safari tabs are back below the toolbar.

how did they miss the most obvious use for 'find my iphone'? "Here Pumpkin, a new iPhone for you!" ie track the kids/playa/ho.

the airstrip app looks cool enough to want have another a-fib!

sweet voice control. i hadn't pre-read about that.

two kids playing backgammon? really?

does phil really have a 'workout' playlist? hmmmm i don't have one either.

cute visual pun of the 'infinite loop' on the credentials logo

how soon before the 19th do i have to camp out in fron of the apple store?
  • Reply 2 of 41
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Will watch. Then comment.

Had to lower prices to mac way for tablet. Had to.

Wonder how msft will respond.

Want 3.9 now though.
    1. right on

Yay.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    mechengitmechengit Posts: 133member
    Someone should get rid of the quotation mark in the link.
  • Reply 4 of 41
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
  • Reply 5 of 41
    bmyers2bmyers2 Posts: 12member
    Not yet available via Apple TV podcast.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Did they keep the two demo failures for comic relief? Ah, well.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

Try this link, more better

http://stream.qtv.apple.com/events/j...vn_650_ref.mov

Yeah, this is the higher quality HD stream.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    I was just thinking, I wonder what are the chances the price dropped old iPhone 3G got a processor speed bump to iPod Touch 2G? It still wouldn't be competitive with the iPhone 3G S, but at least the iPod Touch 2G wouldn't be so orphaned, and it'd create a definitive 1.5 speed tier that developers can target. (With 2.0 speed tier being the iPhone 3G S). But I guess it's unlikely.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcommander.data View Post

I was just thinking, I wonder what are the chances the price dropped old iPhone 3G got a processor speed bump to iPod Touch 2G?

The iPhone 3G and iPod Touch are the same speed. For the iPhone 3G to get a speed bump to match the iPod Touch I?d imagine that there would have to be enough v3.0 refinements to make it viable, but if that were the case the iPod Touch may get a speed bump pushing it ahead of it where it currently is. Perhaps we?ll see some benchmarking after the update lands next Wednesday.
  • Reply 10 of 41
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I am more excited about Snow Leopard. Exchange support and performance enhancements are the major selling point to me. Oh, and the price
  • Reply 11 of 41
    l255jl255j Posts: 57member
    I wonder when the iPod touch will be updated with all the iPhone 3G S's new features.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    randythotrandythot Posts: 109member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by L255J View Post

I wonder when the iPod touch will be updated with all the iPhone 3G S's new features.

I would figure in September, before the holidays.

Your question is great too, because it also begs if Apple will match all the hardware features on the iPhone. I would say yes...it makes life easier for developers, and acts as a bridge for iPhone sales.
  • Reply 13 of 41
    randythotrandythot Posts: 109member
    Ugh, this was a really long keynote...in fact, the length definitely hurt the effectiveness of the keynote overall.

They could have done a better job summarizing/viewing already announced features.

Also, could have saved a lot of time by crafting the presentations to eliminate clapping, and utilize it more during more significant moments. All the Apple people seemed tired...lacked a touch of enthusiasm.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Can't watch from iPhone.

What happened to HTML5 Video?
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Can't watch from iPhone.

The streaming codecs are not included yet. I’m running v3.0 Beta 5 and I couldn’t even watch an iTunes streaming video preview (new feature). I’ll check tomorrow if both the iTS video preview is working (which is likely) and if the Keynote stream works (less certain).

I take that back, partially. The streaming of keynote works in v3.0 Beta 5 very well, but the Safari site doesn’t show the same page, but you can click the empty box that should contain an image to stream the video. The iTS streaming preview still doesn’t work, however.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Can't watch from iPhone.

Works fine on mine from the www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/keynote page.

Running 3.0 GM mind you.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Works fine on mine from the www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/keynote page.

Running 3.0 GM mind you.

Is tethering still an open option or is it locked now?
  • Reply 18 of 41
    hypermarkhypermark Posts: 152member
    What's been interesting is tracking blogger sentiment on the WWDC keynote, which has definitely been mixed, underscoring a core part of my analysis on the event; namely that Apple has so totally treated us to wizardry and wow over the years that when they merely execute, it's a disappointment (to some), something that I blogged about in:

Apple WWDC Keynote Analysis: Punishing the Wizard, Part Two

http://bit.ly/2lC3yC

Check it out if interested.

Cheers,

Mark
  • Reply 19 of 41
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Is tethering still an open option or is it locked now?

I had tethering enabled via the modified IPCC file and have only run the updates in 'Update' mode not restore mode so i still have tethering. I know that if you ran in restore mode before you lost both tethering and MMS functionality.

UPDATE:

Ran restore for 3.0GM. MMS and tethering are there (for O2 UK at least) O2 sends out an SMS regarding MMS being setup on your account too. (Although MMS doesn't go live for O2 customers until 19th of June and you receive another SMS stating that it could not be setup on your account.)

Tethering prompts you to visit the O2 website to setup a tethering plan/option. (£15 per month.)
  • Reply 20 of 41
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimerl View Post

nice. i saw one of snow's refinements is 'put back from trash.' something i've missed from os7! i wonder if handles put back for thingies you move from a folder to the desktop.

oh yeah and the new iphone looks pretty wicked frickin awesome too.

it's weird at some of the things that that audience does and doesn't applaud. nothing for some things I think are impressive.

m$ answer to an update that is 6gb smaller - vista upgrade to 3.11

didja notice the safari tabs are back below the toolbar.

how did they miss the most obvious use for 'find my iphone'? "Here Pumpkin, a new iPhone for you!" ie track the kids/playa/ho.

the airstrip app looks cool enough to want have another a-fib!

two kids playing backgammon? really?

does phil really have a 'workout' playlist? hmmmm i don't have one either.

Yes indeed. I imagine the feedback against the change was accepted and restored.