Apple introduces 13-inch MacBook Pro, cheaper MacBook Airs

Comments

• Reply 121 of 225
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

What are you worried about?

That your precious glossy will be taken away? It won't.

People need a choice since only Apple makes OS X and they have huge investment in their software and need anti-glare computers, especially laptops.

By the way, if you search "glossy vs matte" you'll get a true picture of what people think, including reports of eyestrain.

People don't get a choice with PC laptops either. They are all glossy too, and none of them complain about it. If you have vision complaints, go to an eye doctor to find out what's wrong with your vision. The glossy screen isn't doing it. If it did, the billions of TV's with glossy screens over the last 50 years never would have been made. You do realize that if there is a light shining on the screen, you can move the laptop.

Doing a google search to produce more unsubstantiated posts from message boards does not support your claim that a glossy screen caused your eye strain and headaches. However, it did produce this response from Popular Mechanics:

Each screen has its advantages and disadvantages, which is why manufacturers waver between the two. Glossy screens produce an image that's generally regarded as "richer." Admittedly, that's a nebulous term, but essentially it means there is more color depth and vibrancy. On the downside, glossy screens are more susceptible to glare, reflecting light from windows and light bulbs. And they tend to show fingerprints and smudges more readily, especially when they are off. (That's because people can't keep their dirty fingers off of them.)

Matte screens tend to handle glare better, due to a polarized coating over the glass that diffuses ambient light. A side effect of the matte finish is a slight blurring, reduced contrast and a narrower viewing angle. (So which one is harder on your eyes? The blurring and reduced constrast of the matte screen would cause more eye strain. My iMac G5 with matte display has a more grainy and fuzzy text than the 20" Cinema Display that it replaced, also matte. However, the text on the new iMacs with a glossy screen produce a much sharper text.)

Which is better is a matter of environment and personal preference. If the screen is in a room that's generally dark, consider a glossy finish. In a controlled environment it offers a best-case picture. But I wouldn't be too afraid of a matte finish. Most of us use our screens in mixed light where the minor qualitative difference is offset by the anti-reflective benefit.

Amazing, no mention from Popular Mechanics stating that glossy screens are the root of all evils and cause eye strain, headaches, etc.
  • Reply 122 of 225
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Great macbook pro updates today!

The new 13" is the real deal. I have the feeling "now they got it right".

I couldn't agrre with you more. I been waiting 2 years for this. I could care less now about a tablet becuase this was what I wanted all along. The screen glare will be less now that they've improved the screen itself. Everything is great- even the battery. And an SD slot! Small form factor is where it's at!
  • Reply 123 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

People don't get a choice with PC laptops either. They are all glossy too, and none of them complain about it. If you have vision complaints, go to an eye doctor to find out what's wrong with your vision. The glossy screen isn't doing it. If it did, the billions of TV's with glossy screens over the last 50 years never would have been made. You do realize that if there is a light shining on the screen, you can move the laptop.

Doing a google search to produce more unsubstantiated posts from message boards does not support your claim that a glossy screen caused your eye strain and headaches. However, it did produce this response from Popular Mechanics:

Each screen has its advantages and disadvantages, which is why manufacturers waver between the two. Glossy screens produce an image that's generally regarded as "richer." Admittedly, that's a nebulous term, but essentially it means there is more color depth and vibrancy. On the downside, glossy screens are more susceptible to glare, reflecting light from windows and light bulbs. And they tend to show fingerprints and smudges more readily, especially when they are off. (That's because people can't keep their dirty fingers off of them.)

Matte screens tend to handle glare better, due to a polarized coating over the glass that diffuses ambient light. A side effect of the matte finish is a slight blurring, reduced contrast and a narrower viewing angle.

Which is better is a matter of environment and personal preference. If the screen is in a room that's generally dark, consider a glossy finish. In a controlled environment it offers a best-case picture. But I wouldn't be too afraid of a matte finish. Most of us use our screens in mixed light where the minor qualitative difference is offset by the anti-reflective benefit.

Amazing, no mention from Popular Mechanics stating that glossy screens are the root of all evils and cause eye strain, headaches, etc.

You're missing one big important factor. The previous inferior glossy 13" screen showed more glare because the screen was inferior. Now that has all changed even though it remains glossy.
  • Reply 124 of 225
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

You post this same BULLSHIT story every chance you get when there is a discussion about screens. I guess you never thought about going to an eye doctor regarding headaches and eyestrain? Perhaps you are getting old? The glossy screen didn't do it, nor did all those CRT displays you looked at. Wow, you are so cool for spilling beer on a laptop and then smashing it to pieces. Bet your girlfriend is happy to be around you. So if Windows is so fucking inferior that the only choice is not to use it, why are you bragging about being a Windows and Vista user in your signature? Go buy PC laptop if you don't like the MacBooks. By the way, PC laptops have had glossy screens far longer than Macs!

So what your really pissed off about is your jealousy concerning my abundance of funds that I can afford to buy Vista, XP and Fusion and smash a otherwise easily fixable $1000 Macbook right?

How would you feel if I went to a Apple Store, bought a nice glossy iMac, took it outside and smashed the shit out of it? Recorded it and uploaded it to YouTube.

Would that get a good reaction or what?

Because I'm seriously thinking about it.

Whatta you think? good or what?

BTW: This is the first time I've talked about this glossy screen issue at this site. I rather have my signature link let my and others feelings about the subject known. Not to thread jack.
  • Reply 125 of 225
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

Your uses for the computer are not what everyone else does.

Most people use a laptop as a portable computing workstation, in many different enviroments where reflections from a glossy display is very annoying and distracting.

You can't honestly tell me that this Mac is really functional with parts of the screen covered by reflections?

http://i.zdnet.com/blogs/macbook-glare-485.jpg

Also a lot of people, myself included, have weakening eyesight (from using glossy CRTs over the years no less) and the reflections make our eyes work harder because there are two images. One or the other is slightly out of focus and the extra work required to "see" the correct image results in eyestrain and headaches.

Shiny is only good for impulsive consumer sales. But later it causes problems for a lot of people, it just takes time to do the damage and prematurely wear out your eye muscles. Just like listening to loud music too long ruins your hearing.

Pro's in the know, know better and buy anti-glare or matte screen computers. All the best graphic monitors are anti-glare/matte screens.

Apple even offers Anti-glare on the 17" MBP and on their larger monitors, why is this if glossy screens were not a issue?

I had a White glossy MacBook for a girlfriend, setting it up and using it gave me the most horrible headaches and eyestrain.

She got sick of using it because of the reflections and it sat around unused, until someone spilled a beer on it. It was finished and I didn't want to spend the money on fixing it.

I stripped it, smashed the glass screen and tossed it in the trash.

I never felt so much better in my entire life.

Using a glossy screen is like using Windows, it's so fscking inferior and annoying that the only choice is not to use it.

So it's not about what looks good if it's hurting your body and your mind.

I guess for you the glossy is not such a good choice. You seem to be feeling better now and that is a good thing.

Peace

• Reply 126 of 225
    Quote:

Matte screens tend to handle glare better, due to a polarized coating over the glass that diffuses ambient light. A side effect of the matte finish is a slight blurring, reduced contrast and a narrower viewing angle. (So which one is harder on your eyes? The blurring and reduced constrast of the matte screen would cause more eye strain. My iMac G5 with matte display has a more grainy and fuzzy text than the 20" Cinema Display that it replaced, also matte. However, the text on the new iMacs with a glossy screen produce a much sharper text.)

Well the bold lettering gave me a headache.
  • Reply 127 of 225
    [QUOTE=brucep;1428426][QUOTE=infinitespecter;1428184]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

No, it is not anything more than just that. A professional CANNOT cut any corners in his work. He or she must bring a flawless product to the market in color's that look professional on 5 or 6 differant kinds of media. And all the colors have to look exactly the same on all the possible media's.

The lines are blurring between the very high end photoshop/finalcut pro kind of user, to people like me who burn some movie's, watch some hulu and plays cod4.

If you are a PRO and you can get away with using a $300 net-book, fine.

A pro uses their own CTR monitor for true color. And they would never touch a glossy anything ever.

A pro what, exactly? Pro DOES NOT HAVE TO MEAN Creative. There are numerous reasons why someone could want/need a faster processor or expansion without wanting a larger and heavier machine. Do you get that?
  • Reply 128 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Perhaps you have a underlying medical condition that prevents your eyes from focusing normally. This could cause eyestrain and headaches, but I don't know of any evidence that suggest CRTs, glossy or otherwise is conclusively an underlying factor; contributing yes, causative no.

Well any eye is going to have problems focusing if there are two slightly out of focus images right next to each other.

Look at your computer monitor for about 30 seconds and then look at something across the room.

Notice it takes a little bit of time to focus in the distance? It gets slower as you get older.

Lots of work going on there, now imagine it being done repeately as your watching a glossy display with slightly out of focus reflections and you get the idea.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=2417

Sure it's more pronounced on older eyes and those with eye trouble, even Steve Jobs wears glasses.

Should he be denied, along with millions of other cash rich baby boom generation folks, the ability to use a computer because their eyesight isn't perfect?

Apple is screwing themselves.
  • Reply 129 of 225
    Quote:

Well the bold lettering gave me a headache.

Start SHOUTING IN ALL CAPS and see how long before people bitch about that.
  • Reply 130 of 225
    Quote:

I guess for you the glossy is not such a good choice. You seem to be feeling better now and that is a good thing.

Yea, I never got upset before over a computer because I used Mac's.

I've laughed about Windows losers throwing their computers out a 5 story window in fustration, never thought it could occur with a Mac, until yesterday.
  • Reply 131 of 225
    [QUOTE=infinitespecter;1428826][QUOTE=brucep;1428426]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

A pro what, exactly? Pro DOES NOT HAVE TO MEAN Creative. There are numerous reasons why someone could want/need a faster processor or expansion without wanting a larger and heavier machine. Do you get that?

Sadly so few needed the expansion that the sd won out. To get real dude, I run my own business and the old clamshell was fast enough. Most small biz owners would rock out with a fully loaded 13" mbp. The Mac's being sold as of today, are very powwerful machines. The graphic's alone is 4x or more faster.3.06 processor's, 500g drive's. 8 g memory and in some cases 2 very fast graphic chips. Uni-body construction.

While I see your point. I hope you can see mine, which is today's MBP is much more than the 2 yrs ago model. And most PRO'S will be happy.
  • Reply 132 of 225
    Quote:

Yea, I never got upset before over a computer because I used Mac's.

I've laughed about Windows losers throwing their computers out a 5 story window in fustration, never thought it could occur with a Mac, until yesterday.

Please don't hurt your mac. Please. It only exists to serve you dude. To serve your every need. Maybe you would love your mac if you named it. Any name will do. lets say lisa . ok.

lol

Peace

• Reply 133 of 225
    kernkraftkernkraft Posts: 14member
    It's ironic, but 7 month ago I complained about Apple's decision to use a poor screen on the unibody MacBooks, not to include Firewire, while they kept the Ethernet; and finally to overprice the laptops. But I bought one.

Now I have a 2.4 GHz unibody MacBook that is not manufactured anymore and today would be called Pro. Also, mine doesn't have FireWire, while the new ones do, and most annoyingly, the £1149 today would buy so much more. I haven't actually sold my MiniDV camcorder, but should I need a new computer just to use it? Annoying. Meanwhile, back in April Apple quietly upgraded the screens on the MacBooks. I wouldn't call the unibody launch a great success today. In fact, it left us, dedicated fans in the cold.

My girlfriend is even more disappointed. Her 2.53 GHz MacBook Pro got discontinued within months and today better performance would be yours for £600! less (she paid £1800). That is not technology and recession, that is bad pricing on Apple's part back in October.

But some warned - NEVER get a first generation Apple product, wait for the second! Original iPhone and white MacBook purchasers will verify that. I also have a MacBook Air (refurbished), but I wish it was the second generation. So after all, owners of first generation Apple products really are paying the price for being fanboys!

Shame on you, Apple, these updates should have happened last year! Should I send my MB back to get the crooked keys sorted for the third time? Or the whining HDD? Or the constant fan noise?
  • Reply 134 of 225
    finewinefinewine Posts: 92member
    Not bad, though the lack of audio in is very bad for folks who want to use this for music production. Can't have everything. Personally, my schedule is for buying sometime next Jan/Feb, so I hope a refresh will be ready by that time. Maybe even an audio line in. What this really needs is a faster processor, but I guess this is up to Intel. I'm hoping for Nehalem by early next year.
  • Reply 135 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post

It's ironic, but 7 month ago I complained about Apple's decision to use a poor screen on the unibody MacBooks, not to include Firewire, while they kept the Ethernet; and finally to overprice the laptops. But I bought one.

Now I have a 2.4 GHz unibody MacBook that is not manufactured anymore and today would be called Pro. Also, mine doesn't have FireWire, while the new ones do, and most annoyingly, the £1149 today would buy so much more. I haven't actually sold my MiniDV camcorder, but should I need a new computer just to use it? Annoying. Meanwhile, back in April Apple quietly upgraded the screens on the MacBooks. I wouldn't call the unibody launch a great success today. In fact, it left us, dedicated fans in the cold.

My girlfriend is even more disappointed. Her 2.53 GHz MacBook Pro got discontinued within months and today better performance would be yours for £600! less (she paid £1800). That is not technology and recession, that is bad pricing on Apple's part back in October.

But some warned - NEVER get a first generation Apple product, wait for the second! Original iPhone and white MacBook purchasers will verify that. I also have a MacBook Air (refurbished), but I wish it was the second generation. So after all, owners of first generation Apple products really are paying the price for being fanboys!

Shame on you, Apple, these updates should have happened last year! Should I send my MB back to get the crooked keys sorted for the third time? Or the whining HDD? Or the constant fan noise?

First of all, your Unibody would not nor ever be considered a Pro due to its inferior screen. Having said that , you have an aberration, a collector's item if you will- a MAc never to be made again- a museum piece.

The number one Apple rule is- never , ever buy a 1st gen Apple product again. I learned the hard way with the AppleTV . And that was why I waited a full year for the 2nd gen Touch and glad I did- better screen and volume controls. Everyone who has that 1st gen Touch got really pissed off with that change.

Now I will buy the 13" Pro after you guys paved the way as a prototype for our new Pros. Thank you.
  • Reply 136 of 225
    bruce youngbruce young Posts: 188member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineWine View Post

Not bad, though the lack of audio in is very bad for folks who want to use this for music production. Can't have everything. Personally, my schedule is for buying sometime next Jan/Feb, so I hope a refresh will be ready by that time. Maybe even an audio line in. What this really needs is a faster processor, but I guess this is up to Intel. I'm hoping for Nehalem by early next year.

what, no audio input? I guess I missed that. Of course, Apple never announces the new product by highlighting what they leave off ...

(as if: " New MacBook Pro model x, now with no audio input jack! just because we knew you really didn't need it! and it saved us $0.75 on build cost.")

I'll have to go back and look at the specs in more detail. Is that on just the MBP new13 or all?

In this scenario, the only option then is a USB audio input port device, such as the ... who made them now ... Griffin or M-Audio I think.
  • Reply 137 of 225
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:

Movie's look fantastic on a glossy screen. Everything looks better with a glossy screen.

I have an Apple glossy screen right next to an LG non-glossy screen. Everything, EVERYTHING, looks significantly better on the non-gloss screen. I work and watch movies on the LG, and only use the Apple for palettes and things running in the background.
  • Reply 138 of 225
    applebookapplebook Posts: 350member
    Nice update indeed.

Can't complain about the better LCD, much better battery life, backlit keyboard standard, fast CPU, etc.

However, Apple should have included an absolute minimum of 250Gb for the HDD. Good thing 7200rpm 320Gb disks are dirt cheap these days.
  • Reply 139 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

First of all, your Unibody would not nor ever be considered a Pro due to its inferior screen. Having said that , you have an aberration, a collector's item if you will- a MAc never to be made again- a museum piece.

The number one Apple rule is- never , ever buy a 1st gen Apple product again. I learned the hard way with the AppleTV . And that was why I waited a full year for the 2nd gen Touch and glad I did- better screen and volume controls. Everyone who has that 1st gen Touch got really pissed off with that change.

Now I will buy the 13" Pro after you guys paved the way as a prototype for our new Pros. Thank you.

You don't have to be so smug. If you think it's a collector's item, buy it for the price you would pay for a new one!
  • Reply 140 of 225
    By the way, now they could fit a FireWire connector on the 13" ones, couldn't they?!