Apple releases Safari 4 as "world's fastest browser"

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    I didn't have the beta, so it's all new to me. I'm glad they don't put the tabs at the top, but it would be okay as an option.

The great: It's FAST. On my 1.8GHz iMac G5 with Tiger, it smokes. It's not even in the same area code as Safari 3, Firefox, or anything else I've tried.

The good: 1. You don't have to deal with "top sites" - it appears you can ignore it altogether, and never see them, though apparently you can't turn it off totally. 2. You can separate the "add tab" button from the address window (by going to 'customize toolbar' and dragging the "add tab" button on to the toolbar - the other one disappears.

The okay: You can now put a limit on the history that's saved. Not too flexible, though - you can delete history after 1 day or 1 week, but not 2 days or 3 days (my preference). You can set it to 1 year - does anyone save their browsing history for a year? (Clicking "clear history" brings up a warning, asking if you really want to do that - an annoyance).

The bad: Tabs have an ugly shape, and are too dark. The top of the window goes from lighter to darker as you get toward the bookmark bar and the tabs (which should be lighter so they're easier to read).I don't like the disappearing "close" button on the tabs - I don't like that they disappear, and when they do appear, they're an ugly square shape, and just like orphans that were added on. It's like a 4th grader did the graphical designing of the window. Too dark!

The very bad: There's no toolbar button for "stop/reload" anymore. I use the reload button all the time (there is still a menu item for it, and a keyboard shortcut, but for me the button is much better). As for the stop button, hopefully web pages won't hang any more, and it won't be needed. One can always hope.
  • Reply 42 of 68
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

ClickToFlash is the equivalent of FlashBlock for WebKit based applications. Safari Adblock is the closest thing that to Adblock Plus you'll find for Safari. It supports ABP's filter subscriptions but doesn't offer advanced functionality like element hiding. Plus, making rules/exceptions isn't as easy as with ABP.

Do these work with the Mac version of Safari 4?
  • Reply 43 of 68
    Like that it's fast, dislike almost EVERYTHING ELSE.

? Big tabs -- UGLY

? Appearing and disappearing "x" on the tabs -- UGLY (feels like Windows)

? Top Sites? Whatever. Wish I could just get rid of the icon (it's taking up space)

? Stop/Refresh moved? Hate that too -- along with the weirdo little rectangle that shows up on the right of the address (to show progress).

? While we're at it, I found the old blue progress bar was more intuitive.

? Find Search Suggestions are EXTREMELY annoying. They HAVE to let us turn this off. If this shows up in Snow Leopard's Spotlight I just might blow my brains out.

? To top it all off I have to deal with stupid Cover Flow when I'm managing my bookmarks? WTF? Does anybody actually find cover flow useful? I played with it for 30 seconds when it showed up in iTunes then got on with my life. Some Apple designer is in love with Cover Flow, and that's fine, but give me a freeking OFF button!
  • Reply 44 of 68
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rnp1 View Post

STAY AWAY FROM SAFARI 4!

I love new stuff, but this one bombed five times already. Thank God (and Steve) for Time Machine. I reloaded my S4 beta in less time than rebooting the new Bad S4. (Besides, all my fixes such as the proper tools, like stop/reload, in the toolbar went back to stupidity in today's download of Safari!)

You need to know that other users laugh hysterically at posts like yours.
  • Reply 45 of 68
    Did anyone else notice this similarity between Chrome and Safari 4? This is my first time using Safari so I don't know if it's been there before, but I opened Safari up and this popped out at me first thing.

• Reply 46 of 68
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Not fair really, as Apple listens a lot. For instance, it gave all the first generation iPhone users a credit. It allowed folders to be kept on the desktop (not originally the plan). It brought back list menus. It brought Firewire back (which many people here suggested Apple wouldn't do). It has become more forthcoming with it's green polices. It made a Windows iPod. It allowed developers to create apps on the iPhone. I hope enough people complain to give me the option to have tabs on the back.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post

Sweet mother of Jesus, Apple actually listened!

Awesome.

• Reply 47 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I want my tabs back on top! That gave more browsing space, damn apple that was the thing about the beta I liked the most!

Same here. I know how you feel. I was really liking the tabs at the top as well although there are plenty here who feel otherwise. The best option for Apple, would have been to allow the look of both options.
  • Reply 48 of 68
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Do these work with the Mac version of Safari 4?

Replying to my own post (is that like talking to myself?)...

Both Safari AdBlock 0.4.0 RC1 *and* ClickToFlash 1.42 work well with the public release of Safari 4. Not perfect, some very minor issues with each, but not enough to for me to keep using FF3. I just have to figure out which bookmarks, bookmark folders, etc. to port over to Safari (really a cleanup issue on my part). Then I'll be able to take advantage of the Bookmark sync in Mobile Me.

Color me psyched!
  • Reply 49 of 68
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    I still rather use Chrome and the Mac version is progressing nicely.

http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/s...omium-rel-mac/
  • Reply 50 of 68
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    I want those tabs back on top. For macbook 13 inch screen it makes a lot of difference. At least give me a choice please. I can't see the screen with tabs open.
  • Reply 51 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Not fair really, as Apple listens a lot. For instance, it gave all the first generation iPhone users a credit. It allowed folders to be kept on the desktop (not originally the plan). It brought back list menus. It brought Firewire back (which many people here suggested Apple wouldn't do). It has become more forthcoming with it's green polices. It made a Windows iPod. It allowed developers to create apps on the iPhone. I hope enough people complain to give me the option to have tabs on the back.

You can easily do that

type in Terminal

Code:

defaults write com.apple.Safari DebugSafari4TabBarIsOnTop -bool YES

• Reply 52 of 68
    arteckxarteckx Posts: 39member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

You can easily do that

type in Terminal

Code:

No, you can't. That's why we're talking about it. These comments are about release version of Safari 4. The debug options from the beta version no longer work.
  • Reply 53 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arteckx View Post

No, you can't. That's why we're talking about it. These comments are about release version of Safari 4. The debug options from the beta version no longer work.

There must be a workaround

Would removing Debug work?

Code:

defaults write com.apple.Safari Safari4TabBarIsOnTop -bool YES

Either way, TabsOnTop were poorly implemented in Safari 4.

Just use Chrome, once it is officially out for Mac OS.
  • Reply 54 of 68
    arteckxarteckx Posts: 39member
    It's starting to look like someone maybe didn't actually read the thread.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

There must be a workaround

Would removing Debug work?

Code:

Either way, TabsOnTop were poorly implemented in Safari 4.

Just use Chrome, once it is officially out for Mac OS.

No variations of the previous options work...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

Neither

nor

nor

defaults write com.apple.Safari TabBarIsOnTop -bool YES

work anymore...

This search for hidden preferences didn't work...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yoshokun View Post

Bring the tabs on top back! Or at least make it an option.

I've been running a strings against the binary and I haven't seen any hidden prefs so far to change it back..

That's really disappointing. I guess now it's up to Chrome to bring it back.

There's not going to be a work-around at all if they've outright removed the code from the final build (unless someone can hack it back in). I wouldn't be surprised either since they're trying to do so much shrinking and optimization for Snow Leopard and Safari 4 is part of that.

Luckily, I don't care where my tabs are located, but sorry to those that do.
  • Reply 55 of 68
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Safari 4 final wouldn't even fire up till I removed the contents of the InputManagers folder (in Library).

Now it's working I'll vouch that it seems smoother and snappier than the beta was before, but I miss the tabs at the top. Must look up that command line method and put the tabs back up where they belong

Enz
  • Reply 56 of 68
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rnp1 View Post

STAY AWAY FROM SAFARI 4!

I love new stuff, but this one bombed five times already. Thank God (and Steve) for Time Machine. I reloaded my S4 beta in less time than rebooting the new Bad S4. (Besides, all my fixes such as the proper tools, like stop/reload, in the toolbar went back to stupidity in today's download of Safari!)

Per previous post. The problem turned out to be something in the InputManagers folder, which I emptied into Trash.. though I've since put the stuff back in from the Trash (SafariBlock, etc.) and S4 still works fine. (Go figure??).
  • Reply 57 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christ4life View Post

Did anyone else notice this similarity between Chrome and Safari 4? This is my first time using Safari so I don't know if it's been there before, but I opened Safari up and this popped out at me first thing.

Safari 4 on Windows is "inspired" by Chrome. Safari 3 was more Aqua, just like iTunes on Windows.

You can still bring the classic menu by hitting Alt.
  • Reply 58 of 68
    Quote:

Does anyone know the status of FlashBlock and AdBlock Plus functionality for Safari 4? I'm a FF3 user but the new Safari release is rockin'. Just add those to plug-ins (or however that has to be implemented in Safari) and I'm officially a convert!

Quote:

Replying to my own post (is that like talking to myself?)...

Both Safari AdBlock 0.4.0 RC1 *and* ClickToFlash 1.42 work well with the public release of Safari 4. Not perfect, some very minor issues with each, but not enough to for me to keep using FF3. I just have to figure out which bookmarks, bookmark folders, etc. to port over to Safari (really a cleanup issue on my part). Then I'll be able to take advantage of the Bookmark sync in Mobile Me.

Color me psyched!

I use Glimmer Blocker if you're interested, it work slightly differently to the others as its not an addon for a program as its a system wide adblocker. It goes into your system preferences. In other words it blocks ads including flash adds before they get to your browser. I can tell you it works extremely well and I would highly recommend it.

Oh and with this implementation you do not have any compatibility problems with browsers.
  • Reply 59 of 68
    rolsrols Posts: 68member
    At least 5 times a day I'd click on one of those top tabs and the window would minimize into the taskbar as a 'title bar doubleclick'.

That drove me quite mad.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Idle View Post

I actually never ran into that problem...the inactive tabs always stayed inactive for me when I dragged windows from their spots on the title bar.

• Reply 60 of 68
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Tweakers are unfortunately very pessimistic about the existence of hidden option, which would allow to put tabs back on top.

P.S. So, most probably, I will downgrade to beta. Final release doesn't add any value.