Final Cut studio update coming?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
9to5 Mac suggests a Final Cut Studio upgrade is coming at WWDC (or there about, maybe). If so, what enhancements would you like to see in these apps?

I'll start off with some ideas for Soundtrack Pro:

- needs greater stability; currently it is less stable than several free audio apps and Garageband

- needs improved repair functions (Amadeus Pro, at $40, trumps STP with its Repair Center and overall fixing ability; indeed, I often export to Amadeus Pro to clean up audio).

- the effects need an overhaul so that they are consistent with each other (eg, some have preview, others don't)

There will be many more, but that's a start.

What ideas, wishes, etc., do other people have?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

9to5 Mac suggests a Final Cut Studio upgrade is coming at WWDC (or there about, maybe). If so, what enhancements would you like to see in these apps?

I'll start off with some ideas for Soundtrack Pro:

- needs greater stability; currently it is less stable than several free audio apps and Garageband

- needs improved repair functions (Amadeus Pro, at $40, trumps STP with its Repair Center and overall fixing ability; indeed, I often export to Amadeus Pro to clean up audio).

- the effects need an overhaul so that they are consistent with each other (eg, some have preview, others don't)

There will be many more, but that's a start.

What ideas, wishes, etc., do other people have?

FCS

Native AVCHD Editing

Blu-ray support

Unified Media Manager

Background rendering

Better roundtrip (sharing of project files)

Eucon native (Euphonix control surface...FCS currently uses Mackie HUI control signal)

Better multi-core support

64-bit

more GPU enabled effects

Shake replacement

Logic Pro

Peer access with FCS

Better elastic controls for audio

Improvement plugins and instruments

Better support for video (integrate some STP features)

Better notation

Better multi-core support

64-bit
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Vastly improved interface for Color.

Also, I'd like to see SELECT aspects of the new iMovie interface come to the Studio.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by glassblowerscat View Post

Vastly improved interface for Color.

Also, I'd like to see SELECT aspects of the new iMovie interface come to the Studio.

I don't think Color is ever going to look like it belongs with the other apps. I think Apple will get it closer but color grading apps always look like strange beasts.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I don't think Color is ever going to look like it belongs with the other apps. I think Apple will get it closer but color grading apps always look like strange beasts.

Agreed; I wasn't as much thinking of how the interface looks as I was of how it behaves, which is frequently in a counter-intuitive and maddening fashion.

But I do think the look of the application will be brought somewhat into line with the other pro apps, from a color standpoint at least.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I would to see in the new fcs3......no more rendering when puting fx ......
  • Reply 6 of 7
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    FCS3 will need to be ready by the release of 10.6, it will serve as a great app for pros, but it will also be the showpiece fror what is possible when a big app fully utilizes all aspects of the new 64 bit libraries, GCS and OpenCL,,,methink any mac loaded with ram and a discreet GPU will see 2-3x or more speed gains across the workflow.

as for new features, just let me copy avchd files and use them directly as opposed to "importing" them...that would make my day
  • Reply 7 of 7
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Talked to my local electronics shop today. They said that BluRay players are selling much faster than DVD players; the price has come down quite a bit. They have several models now under $300, which is considered reasonable in Japan. The only remaining large markets for DVD players are college kids and older people, yet the majority of current owners own DVD players. The scene will be a bit different two years from now as more people upgrade their analog TV's and buy BluRay at the same time.

However, as BR reads DVD discs, some program developers are still working only in DVD. The benefit of BR to me would be the storage levels.

That said, I wonder if Apple is jumping the scene with their new MBP line and the SD card readers. Are they thinking BR will be passed by by SD or flash memory and eventually online distribution? I have seen several companies that send their promo videos on flash cards instead of DVD. Does Apple think this is the future?

So, where does that leave us with FCS and BR support?