Apple introduces 13-inch MacBook Pro, cheaper MacBook Airs

Comments

• Reply 161 of 225
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I will be in complete agreement when the MacBook Air is available with 4GB of ram. When it is, I'll buy a second one.

So you will be getting the slower and more expensive Adamo just for the 4GB RAM?

You'll need it, Windows Vista is a memory hog.
  • Reply 162 of 225
    nantonanto Posts: 19member
    "Wrote this on another forum"

Having bought my non Firewire non SD slot non Macbook "Pro" ...13" Macbook (aluminium) in March I now have a Laptop thats worthless.

Ok update the RAM, Hard Drive, Processor but giving it a new name "Pro" after 6 months and put in Firewire after saying its dead for so long Djeeesssssss

You could have at least given something to the poor sods that trusted you and bought the aluminium Macbook when it came out

Thanks Apple
  • Reply 163 of 225
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nanto View Post

Having bought my non Firewire non SD slot non Macbook "Pro" ...13" Macbook (aluminium) in March I now have a Laptop thats worthless.

Ok update the RAM, Hard Drive, Processor but giving it a new name "Pro" after 6 months and put in Firewire after saying its dead for so long Djeeesssssss

You could have at least given something to the poor sods that trusted you and bought the aluminium Macbook when it came out

Thanks Apple

Worthless?

Trusted you?

How anyone could ever buy a firewire-less mac is beyond me. You still have a great machine.I guess.

Its just that today's new 13"MBP is fantastic with all the great upgrades and firewire and powerful gaming chip.

• Reply 164 of 225
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nanto View Post

Thanks Apple

While Apple did f*ck up- you should really thank all the fanboys on here who for months defended that bad decision to exclude firewire. They constantly said it was not needed anymore, to get over it, buy new peripherals, ignore target disk mode diagnostics, etc,etc,. And I would put solipism at the top of that list.
  • Reply 165 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Shhhhh! Keep it quiet I don't want him to hear this, but I think the 13" MBP may be the replacement for my 12" rev A G4 PowerBook 867mHz known affectionately as, Minime.

Alas Minime, I knew ye well. Long live the new Minime.

I think I will replace mine as well with one of the new 13" Macbook Pros .

Very nice machine. But there are some things that still hold me back:
  • Reply 166 of 225
    I think I will replace mine as well with one of the new 13" Macbook Pros .

Very nice machine. But there are some things that still hold me back:

- I actually like my matte screen and the form factor.

- I still use TV-out and VGA, and not DVI,HDMI, displayport and so on

- My Powerbook still makes most of the task I need.. I don't want my Powerbook to lay around doing nothing after I buy a new one :P...

Has anybody experience on the built quality of this new Macbooks? I take mine with me every day in the back-bag and on the bike and it still looks quite new after 6 years . I don't buy notebooks for less than 6 years now ;-)...

Has anyone tried to run Solidworks 2009 on a 13" Macbook? Is the graphics card strong enough?

Best regards
  • Reply 167 of 225
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Apple made the deal better for consumers that's all. I said they would have to do something and they did. Getting ready for the tablet and brought FireWire back, something I argued fir months when neweur MacBooks had better FireWire, guess they saw the light andvi should be the marketing director. LOL. With one swoop mac became affordable and killed msft branding at the same time. Fwiw, older yen MVP are now cheaper but worth more for pros, especially for seats, high end fx cards. Still, FireWire on 13 inch with semi decent CPU is good. Will have to see benchmarks.Some of us were right, but apple could release 4 cores and make pro machines again.

Knew FireWire was never about space. Man some of those defenders must be hiding in the woods. Np, it is what it is. It's good all around.

Peace.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by infinitespecter View Post

Pro = expansion. There is literally no way to add functionality to the Macbook Pro without buying a 17" model now. That means no internal 3G cards, no eSATA cards, no FW3200 or USB3 (whenever that comes out) cards, etc. If they really wanted to give people SD card support, they should have included a free SD Express Card adapter like Sony does.

• Reply 168 of 225
    kernkraftkernkraft Posts: 14member
    After yesterday's fury, I calmed down. I also realized, that 'Pro' in 'MacBook Pro' was short for 'prostitute'.

NOW it makes sense.
  • Reply 169 of 225
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post

After yesterday's fury, I calmed down. I also realized, that 'Pro' in 'MacBook Pro' was short for 'prostitute'.

NOW it makes sense.

Might be hard to advertise that name:
    Quote:

The worlds hardest working profession just became the world’s hardest working notebook. Introducing the new MacBook Prostitute.

• Reply 170 of 225
    kernkraftkernkraft Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Worthless?

Trusted you?

How anyone could ever buy a firewire-less mac is beyond me. You still have a great machine.I guess.

Its just that today's new 13"MBP is fantastic with all the great upgrades and firewire and powerful gaming chip.

What was beyond us was the fact that Apple came out with new laptops without FireWire. Also saying, that FireWire is a 'dead parrot'. And then they retract and we, loyal customers feel the pain. Shame on them, especially for their cynical excuse - "there wasn't room on the machine to fit a FireWire."
  • Reply 171 of 225
    rnb2rnb2 Posts: 61member
    I just bought a 2GHz MacBook in February, but I'm going to buy a new 13" MBP when 10.6 releases, if not sooner. The added features are worth it to me, and will allow me to gift the current machine to my sister and her family. My brother-in-law works for an auto supplier outside Detroit, so times are tough for them, and I bought the MB with money I inherited from my great aunt, so it seems like a good arrangement.

The new 13" MBP looks like a fantastic machine. My only quandary is whether to buy the 128GB SSD option, or spend a couple hundred extra on a 160GB Intel SSD aftermarket upgrade. I have an 80GB Intel SSD in my MB now, but was going to buy the Intel 160 for more space and move the 80GB to my Mac Pro as a system drive. Hmmmm...........
  • Reply 172 of 225
    Quote:

What was beyond us was the fact that Apple came out with new laptops without FireWire. Also saying, that FireWire is a 'dead parrot'. And then they retract and we, loyal customers feel the pain. Shame on them, especially for their cynical excuse - "there wasn't room on the machine to fit a FireWire."

You basically bought a prototype. I'd be major pissed too. Sorry.
  • Reply 173 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

While Apple did f*ck up- you should really thank all the fanboys on here who for months defended that bad decision to exclude firewire. They constantly said it was not needed anymore, to get over it, buy new peripherals, ignore target disk mode diagnostics, etc,etc,. And I would put solipism at the top of that list.

In truth any apple user in there right mind would never buy a mac without fire wire.

Any newbie who did not think it thru can now go to the show on quick time .WWDC http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...rnal=ijalrmacu

AND enjoy the show please, all you people who just bought a new mac in the last 3 weeks and are here upset about it . We all get burned in life.

I once bought the apple dv special imac grey box on dec 24 th for my wife for Christmas. On jan 8 th or so apple dropped the price by 300 and doubled all the inside stuff. 9 yrs plus later I am still burning about this.

And before I buy any apple product I wait and wait and wait . RIGHT now very soon I will BUY a fully loaded 13" MBP. ITS PERFECT. I waited 18 months.
  • Reply 174 of 225
    kestralkestral Posts: 308member
    When the unibody MacBook first came out, and to my disappointment it didn't have Firewire, this is what I did:

1. Wrote one post on one forum about not being happy with this and stated why (I'm a musician and my Apogee audio interface which I don't want to change because it's so damn good, is Firewire)

2. Bought a refurb 2.4 ghz BlackBook. This was not very ideal because I owned a 2.0 ghz BlackBook I had sold the week before in anticipation of an updated 13" MacBook, I assumed that Firewire would be a given.

3. Refused to cave in and buy a unibody MacBook. Prior to yesterday's announcement, I was going to either: a. Just keep using my BlackBook or b. Move up to a refurb 15" MacBook Pro.

I'd like to think that with the popularity of the white plastic MacBook and the complaints on the various forums (including Apple's own), Apple realized this. They've made mistakes before. Remember the puck mouse, the Cube, and also there is a story of how Steve Jobs wanted to make a printer with no indicator light (or button) and it took a lot of engineers to make it a point for him to realize he made a mistake. Even SJ makes mistakes, only difference is he makes a lot fewer of them than most people, has and will learn from his mistakes, and he has the vision that most of us may not have.

All I can say is, I voted with my dollars once again, I just got the email from Apple that my 13" MacBook Pro has now shipped so in the next day or two I will be getting it and enjoying my new 13" MacBook with my Apogee Duet firewire interface, exactly what I wanted last October.
  • Reply 175 of 225
    rnb2rnb2 Posts: 61member
    Quote:

It was SEVEN MONTHS AGO, and things change. Grow up.

Nobody made you buy it (I bought one, too), and Apple owes you NOTHING. JFC, people, we're talking about computers! They're obsolete when you buy them!

How can any company operate in an environment where they can't improve their products for fear of pi$$ing off people who recently purchased the product they're improving?
  • Reply 176 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

In truth any apple user in there right mind would never buy a mac without fire wire.

Any newbie who did not think it thru can now go to the show on quick time .WWDC http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...rnal=ijalrmacu

AND enjoy the show please, all you people who just bought a new mac in the last 3 weeks and are here upset about it . We all get burned in life.

I once bought the apple dv special imac grey box on dec 24 th for my wife for Christmas. On jan 8 th or so apple dropped the price by 300 and doubled all the inside stuff. 9 yrs plus later I am still burning about this.

And before I buy any apple product I wait and wait and wait . RIGHT now very soon I will BUY a fully loaded 13" MBP. ITS PERFECT. I waited 18 months.

That's so funny - I've waited 2 years for this too. And I too bought the iMacDV graphite-back in 12/99. I remember being on line during all the millenium craziness that New Year's. Love that machine . Remember it came loaded with "A Bugs Life" DVD? Back then Apple was at the forfront with those drives. Too bad the new Imac can't have blu-ray drive- "it's a bag of hurt". What a croc!

But I am so psyched about the 13incher. Finally something to make me purchase - hands down. And I do feel bad for those that bought the 13" MacBook. I almost bought one in April but was going to buy the white one instead. I can't believe what can happen when you wait.
  • Reply 177 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kestral View Post

When the unibody MacBook first came out, and to my disappointment it didn't have Firewire, this is what I did:

1. Wrote one post on one forum about not being happy with this and stated why (I'm a musician and my Apogee audio interface which I don't want to change because it's so damn good, is Firewire)

2. Bought a refurb 2.4 ghz BlackBook. This was not very ideal because I owned a 2.0 ghz BlackBook I had sold the week before in anticipation of an updated 13" MacBook, I assumed that Firewire would be a given.

3. Refused to cave in and buy a unibody MacBook. Prior to yesterday's announcement, I was going to either: a. Just keep using my BlackBook or b. Move up to a refurb 15" MacBook Pro.

I'd like to think that with the popularity of the white plastic MacBook and the complaints on the various forums (including Apple's own), Apple realized this. They've made mistakes before. Remember the puck mouse, the Cube, and also there is a story of how Steve Jobs wanted to make a printer with no indicator light (or button) and it took a lot of engineers to make it a point for him to realize he made a mistake. Even SJ makes mistakes, only difference is he makes a lot fewer of them than most people, has and will learn from his mistakes, and he has the vision that most of us may not have.

All I can say is, I voted with my dollars once again, I just got the email from Apple that my 13" MacBook Pro has now shipped so in the next day or two I will be getting it and enjoying my new 13" MacBook with my Apogee Duet firewire interface, exactly what I wanted last October.

Congrats. I will be getting mine at the end of this month.
  • Reply 178 of 225
    Quote:

I understand.

When i heard about no firewire on the mb 13". I got very upset. I will need a new p/c soon, I had resigned my self to buying a 15in.

There is no way with all the data i move between my 5 computers, that i would ever accept any machine that did not contain a fire wire plug. I have over 1TB of home movie media scattered around my imac, macbook, ibooks, powerbook and my 3 lacie's. FIRE WIRE IS blazing fast to move data around.

So i will say again no matter what anyone says to you, How could you or anyone buy a mac with out a firewire.

What possible thing could they say to convince you that a 25 minute Firewire DL is/are worse than a 6 hr USB DL?

AND what about the "slave mode" you also would not have when you p/c simply dies?

Your pain is self inflicked. And apple saw it's error and fixed it.

Good luck my friend.
  • Reply 179 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That's so funny - I've waited 2 years for this too. And I too bought the iMacDV graphite-back in 12/99. I remember being on line during all the millenium craziness that New Year's. Love that machine . Remember it came loaded with "A Bugs Life" DVD? Back then Apple was at the forfront with those drives. Too bad the new Imac can't have blu-ray drive- "it's a bag of hurt". What a croc!

But I am so psyched about the 13incher. Finally something to make me purchase - hands down. And I do feel bad for those that bought the 13" MacBook. I almost bought one in April but was going to buy the white one instead. I can't believe what can happen when you wait.

Maybe a small speed bump in sept ??

And which one will you buy ?

13-inch: 2.26GHz

or the

13-inch 2.53GHz

Its not a trick question.

Also >> is it easy to upgrade our selves to higher ram and memory?

Secretly i feel a pull from the 15in 2 chip unibody.
  • Reply 180 of 225
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

To change the battery is the same work it would take to upgrade the RAM. Just remove the bottom cover. But the presentation noted that the battery is meant to have a longer lifespan than other batteries. By the time it dies on you chances are you won’t even own it anymore and higher density batteries will probably be out for less money. I don’t know why you think 3rd-parties can’t make a replacement battery. I doubt it soldered in.

Having to disassemble the case isn't exactly user friendly for most people. Personally I keep my machines until they are beyond the point of being upgradeable to remain useful; my iMac is from 2003, the PC is from 2005 and my last laptop was a K6 HP Pavilion that I had long enough that I went through 3 batteries (older technology of course) and just passed it on to a friend recently.

It is just a minor quibble that wouldn't stop me from buying one. My understanding is that this battery type is relatively new technology and there is no telling how long they will actually last. That is what I was concerned about. Obviously if there is a defect or recall it should be covered under warranty.