Apple backtracks on Safari 4.0 tabs on top, ZFS

Comments

• Reply 61 of 173
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    Tabs do NOT belong on top. Thank GOD that Apple put them back where they belong.

Anybody who thinks that tabs "were just fine" on top doesn't really use tabs and doesn't really understand why putting them on top was a horrible horrible horrible mistake and problem.

Thank God SOMEBODY at Apple is actually paying attention. Unlike the people at Apple who removed the ExpressCard slot from their 15" MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 62 of 173
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 789member
    BUMMER.

Tabs on top...?

Tabs on bottom...?

Make it a preference item.

Too bad about ZFS.

BUT... ZFS has to work 100%, the FIRST time! Especially if it makes it's debut in OS X Server.

So, I can imagine the amount of testing involved is pretty monumental.
  • Reply 63 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Tabs do NOT belong on top. Thank GOD that Apple put them back where they belong.

Anybody who thinks that tabs "were just fine" on top doesn't really use tabs and doesn't really understand why putting them on top was a horrible horrible horrible mistake and problem.

Thank God SOMEBODY at Apple is actually paying attention. Unlike the people at Apple who removed the ExpressCard slot from their 15" MacBook Pro.

I couldn't agree more. On BOTH counts!
  • Reply 64 of 173
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I liked the tabs on top a lot because it saved screen space.

Tabs on top also BOTHERED me a lot because I was always switching tabs by accident (or closing them!) when I only waned to click the title bar: a simple and common act according to system-wide convention.

So it was a wash--I could take them or leave them. Having the option would be nice, or better yet some third method (Chrome's way seems OK, or something yet to come).
  • Reply 65 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I agree, that was dumb move.

After all the object of sandboxing the plug-ins was to be able to flush the bugs out through refreshing the page.

Then Apple removes the refresh button!

Brilliant.\

AND puts it in the SAME place and makes it look exactly the same as the SnapBack button (only grey)!
  • Reply 66 of 173
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macthinkdifferent View Post

I believe that the reason that they did not implement the new tab interface has to do more with them choosing not implement the new interface that they have been designing. Perhaps the tab interface is part of the new interface. Having it just in Safari would be inconsistent.

I think this is a very good argument. Leopard isn't going to be getting a UI makeover and Safari 4 Beta's Tabs on Top, for better or worse, stuck out.

On the other hand, Snow Leopard still has three, maybe four months in the cooker depending on when in September it ships, so I still like to think they'll sneak in a refined UI, i.e., the replacement of Aqua elements, window controls, buttons, and scroll bars with something more akin to iTunes 8. They unveiled Leopard's new UI just before it was originally set to release before being delayed (for the iPhone), during which time it saw even more changes. John Gruber, who put out the original rumor about this "Marble" UI now thinks it won't make it into 10.6, but he's been wrong before.

If Apple introduces last minute changes to Snow Leopard (which would make some logical sense considering they don't want to give Microsoft three to four months to copy such a UI), I could imagine Tabs on Top becoming new UI standard for applications that benefit from tabs, namely Safari and word processors/text editors, along with (maybe) the Finder. Developers would obviously have the option of using Apple's method or their own implementation.
  • Reply 67 of 173
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by igamogam View Post

What really grates me personally is the loss of the "in URL" progress bar and moving the reload button away from all the others (ie to the far end of the URL bar). The progress bar was simple and easy to see now I don't know what's appening when a site is launching (or hanging) & have to hunt around for the totally different reload button. Crazy.

(Sorry to be shouting) I AGREE 100%!! IT MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE THAT THEY GOT RID OF THE 'RELOAD' BUTTON FROM THE TOP LEFT!!
  • Reply 68 of 173
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    It was a Beta for a reason. Plus chrome already had it upwards. I think Apple didn't wanna copy that look and stay original.
  • Reply 69 of 173
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I agree, that was dumb move.

After all the object of sandboxing the plug-ins was to be able to flush the bugs out through refreshing the page.

Then Apple removes the refresh button!

I guess others have mentioned it too..... well, I'd like to add my voice of displeasure. C'mon Apple, put the reload button back where it belongs. It just doesn't feel right to be pressing Apple-R each time.
  • Reply 70 of 173
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:

What really grates me personally is the loss of the "in URL" progress bar and moving the reload button away from all the others (ie to the far end of the URL bar). The progress bar was simple and easy to see now I don't know what's appening when a site is launching (or hanging) & have to hunt around for the totally different reload button. Crazy.

View>Show Progress Bar
  • Reply 71 of 173
    masonmcdmasonmcd Posts: 43member
    of the final Safari 4?
  • Reply 72 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wobegon View Post

I think this is a very good argument. Leopard isn't going to be getting a UI makeover and Safari 4 Beta's Tabs on Top, for better or worse, stuck out.

On the other hand, Snow Leopard still has three, maybe four months in the cooker depending on when in September it ships, so I still like to think they'll sneak in a refined UI, i.e., the replacement of Aqua elements, window controls, buttons, and scroll bars with something more akin to iTunes 8. They unveiled Leopard's new UI just before it was originally set to release before being delayed (for the iPhone), during which time it saw even more changes. John Gruber, who put out the original rumor about this "Marble" UI now thinks it won't make it into 10.6, but he's been wrong before.

If Apple introduces last minute changes to Snow Leopard (which would make some logical sense considering they don't want to give Microsoft three to four months to copy such a UI), I could imagine Tabs on Top becoming new UI standard for applications that benefit from tabs, namely Safari and word processors/text editors, along with (maybe) the Finder. Developers would obviously have the option of using Apple's method or their own implementation.

As long as the Mac OS X UI doesn't go all BLACK, like the rumor sites were showing screenshots of a while back. That would truly suck.

I vote for Tabs below. There are reasons why a window has a title bar! Lower Tabs defeat them all.

BTW: Whatever happened to Finder window tabs?

WTF is with the page load status? It gives ZERO indication of progress? It just shows that it may or may NOT be doing something. This is a pointless step backward. Gimme back the blue fill!
  • Reply 73 of 173
    I personally didn't like the tabs on top. Maybe it's b/c I got use to them below or maybe not. I was also glad to see some kind of background added to the address bar when the page was loading with a change in color as the load status changed.

And I'm really impressed with the speed difference from beta - wow.
  • Reply 74 of 173
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:

While the relocation of the reload button is more about relearning its place, we may be prejudging the removal of Safari 3's inline loading bar. For starters, at least Safari 4's new loading indicator has a color change when moving from one page to another. That alone is a nice improvement over the simple spinner in the Beta version. But what we're not considering is, if Apple strips Snow Leopard of Aqua, they may come up with a better way to show loading progress throughout the system.

Quote:

This is one backward step where giving the user choice would be very welcome.

Giving users that type of design decision leads to confusion during customer support calls. Similarly, what if a college campus (where Macs are prevalent) decides to go with Tabs on Top while some of their students use tabs on the bottom? Now students have to relearn things on the spot when they're trying to do (often frenzied) research.
  • Reply 75 of 173
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    I seriously like the tabs on top that much....
  • Reply 76 of 173
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Out of the 52 comment to dated, 17 favored the top position vs 11 the old and 3 neutral.

More interesting, out of the 17 fav's, 11 commented that it would be nice to have it at least an option. This was in contrast to the 11 who didn't suggest the option "option" and were often consistently quite negative adamant in demanding their preference.

I for one, favor the tabs on top as it replicates my Steelcase filing cabinets, and every non-computer filing cabinet that I have ever opened.

Out of a billion people, 900 million favor Windows vs 75 million Mac and 25 million Linux and other OSes.
  • Reply 77 of 173
    imatimat Posts: 209member
    Where are the Pro apps and Pro hardware?

Is it me or Apple is slowly forgetting their "pro" market? Come on... After iLife 09 with tagging and face recognition... Aperture is still 2.0?

And Final Cut?

And MacPro??

I hope these apps and hardare get a refresh before or along SnowLeopard and that their "Grand Central" design is in the works... I know Apple is not "talkative" about their projects, but I really expected some news at a Developer Conference about the pro apps.

It's not that I don't like the iPhone 3GS (which I will purchase) but some things have been left in limbo for some time now...

Add to that AppleTV and the iTunes video store in many countries. Seems like Apple is stuck in some deals, but other companies will catch up (Sony, Microsoft (Zune XboX), maybe even Hulu)..

I know I am off topic, and I'm sorry for that :-) But I "had" to write it...
  • Reply 78 of 173
    retiariusretiarius Posts: 142member
    Although ZFS has been around for almost five years at Sun, sometimes it's

still treated as a research project.

E.g. to answer (real or perceived) threats from storage competitors like NetApp,

Sun is now playing with de-duplication, a marketing checkbox item for some,

but for others like ZFS principal Jeff Bonwick a thing to get right (i.e. done at the

block level). There is still an unresolved Sun/NetApp patent lawsuit which

may be taking Apple hostage, even though (old) Sun indemnifies ZFS users

against patent trolls.

As well, others are still experimenting with checksum methods, not only for

various time/space tradeoffs but to address potential mathematical flaws in

the mappings. Apple would have to carry around all the experimental baggage

for the sake of compatibility if they rolled it out now.

Other bits: compression methods are overrated since the stuff taking up the

most space (video, photos, and audio) are already compressed. Further, Apple

may still be working on an in-place HFS+ to ZFS converter for the masses, now

made more complicated by new choices.

Lastly, I always (mistakenly) thought that Apple was going to expand into enterprise

server land via purchase of Sun, a make-vs.-buy decision which they could have

done with a fraction of their cash horde. Now we've seen that Sun's customer lists

are more valuable to Oracle than others, and that Apple has minimized the use

of Java for their gear. Apple remains the highest-volume shipper of Unix.

To me, it is amazing to see them do this via clever layering to keep their goodies

from disturbing the various NIH-syndrome components they utilize.
  • Reply 79 of 173
    I want my tabs on top again. It looks wrong this way. Oh well, I'' just use Google Chrome when it's finally released for Mac.
  • Reply 80 of 173
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Out of a billion people, 900 million favor Windows vs 75 million Mac and 25 million Linux and other OSes.

It's more like out of billion people 900 million prefer cheap things and use what ever is pre-installed on their computer, and because "everyone else does too".