Oh For God's Sake! My Mind Was Made On The Mac Mini!!! Not Any More.....

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well, where do i start?! I love apple and i hate them at the moment.

From a huge amount of support from this forum and a few others, I'd pretty much made my mind up on the Mini, special thanks to Marvin, you, sir, are a legend.

But now they've gone and released these new laptops, and i must say I'm extremely tempted.

For £845 I could have a lovely laptop which will be faster than the Mini and have the added bonus of portability, I will at last be able to work downstairs on the couch! Along with that i'll be able to use my 22" moniter as a secondary and with a nice stand for the laptop, it will be a very nice setup.

Does anybody know about any internal re-shuffling apple may have done with these new updates? I assume that it will be just as easy to upgrade the hd and ram in my own time, specifically waiting for the solid state drives to come down in price

Cheers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Barney0 View Post

Well, where do i start?! I love apple and i hate them at the moment.

From a huge amount of support from this forum and a few others, I'd pretty much made my mind up on the Mini, special thanks to Marvin, you, sir, are a legend.

But now they've gone and released these new laptops, and i must say I'm extremely tempted.

For £845 I could have a lovely laptop which will be faster than the Mini and have the added bonus of portability, I will at last be able to work downstairs on the couch! Along with that i'll be able to use my 22" moniter as a secondary and with a nice stand for the laptop, it will be a very nice setup.

Does anybody know about any internal re-shuffling apple may have done with these new updates? I assume that it will be just as easy to upgrade the hd and ram in my own time, specifically waiting for the solid state drives to come down in price

Cheers

I know..I know. But funds for me will likely dictate another mini.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

I agree, the laptops are very good machines now - very solid build quality - and the price drop was great. It's a shame that the exchange rate is so bad because they should be a fair bit cheaper.

The hard drive upgrade guide for the 17" MBP is here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3419

It's not as easy as the old Macbooks where you just had to pop out the battery and unscrew an L-shaped bracket but it's no harder than the Mini. I would assume that the new laptops are upgraded the same way and the Ram should be accessible this way too - in the image the DIMMs appear to be near the middle of the machine on the inner edge of the motherboard.

Definitely get Applecare with the laptop later on in the year though and it might be a good idea to take out accidental damage insurance to cover spilling water on it.

I've considered a Macbook myself, the portability is great when you need it. I just didn't need a laptop and only having 2 USB ports wasn't enough. Plus only the white one had FW800. The latter has been corrected now with the addition of the FW800 port. You can get USB hubs to make up for the lack of USB ports too.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    The 'significant other' (of my female friend who bought an iMac) was intent on buying a MacMini, too, to replace his PC. Now, he's torn between the Mini and a 15" MBP.

However, with iWork, MDP to DVI adapter, and AppleCare, the price is $2126. A similar featured Mini (albeit, 2.0GHz compared to 2.53GHz of the MBP) is about half that price - @ $1076. No keyboard, mouse, or monitor of course, but he has those from his PC. He'd use the monitor from his PC with a MBP, too.

His confusion may just be a deal breaker and he may just stay with a PC. I don't think the price is the problem, just the decision he'd have to make.

Please, Apple, make a mini-tower. You would reap a lot of current PC users. I know my plea is useless. I'm sticking with a MacMini.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    barney0barney0 Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

The 'significant other' (of my female friend who bought an iMac) was intent on buying a MacMini, too, to replace his PC. Now, he's torn between the Mini and a 15" MBP.

However, with iWork, MDP to DVI adapter, and AppleCare, the price is $2126. A similar featured Mini (albeit, 2.0GHz compared to 2.53GHz of the MBP) is about half that price - @ $1076. No keyboard, mouse, or monitor of course, but he has those from his PC. He'd use the monitor from his PC with a MBP, too.

His confusion may just be a deal breaker and he may just stay with a PC. I don't think the price is the problem, just the decision he'd have to make.

Please, Apple, make a mini-tower. You would reap a lot of current PC users. I know my plea is useless. I'm sticking with a MacMini.

I do wonder how long it'll be before Apple hear our cries. They must realize they're missing out on serious business but I wonder what their reasoning is for not making a mini-tower?!

I am very seriously considering the new Macbook 'Pro' 13". It seems the perfect solution for me.

A bit more powerful, bigger hd, more ram AND the huge benefit of being able to carry the bugger around on my lap. And with the nice new batteries it makes it all the more tempting.

Not to mention the backlit keyboard, fw 800 and multi-touch trackpad. It seems too perfect for a cheaper-than-original price

I think I'll take a trip down to London next week to get my hands on one and a new iPod touch

Does anyone know if you can purchase AppleCare after you buy the actual computer? I'd like to buy it a few months after cos I will be absolutely skint .

Cheers
  • Reply 5 of 12
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    In the US, you have until the 1 year anniversary of your purchase to buy AppleCare. I don't know what rules are in effect outside the US though. May as well ask when you're at the store.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

In the US, you have until the 1 year anniversary of your purchase to buy AppleCare. I don't know what rules are in effect outside the US though. May as well ask when you're at the store.

Cheers mate, I assume it will be the same here in the UK then. Well at least I hope so. Does the extended 3 years start from when you buy the applecare or the laptop? If your care starts when you buy it, theoretically, it is possible to get almost 4 years coverage???
  • Reply 7 of 12
    chipzchipz Posts: 100member
    Small Dog Electronics (smalldog.com) has a special on the Mac Mini 2.0 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 120 HDD, 19" Acer WS Monitor, Apple Care and a Canon Printer for $1089! Makes you think again about the mini, doesn't it?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Quote:

Cheers mate, I assume it will be the same here in the UK then. Well at least I hope so. Does the extended 3 years start from when you buy the applecare or the laptop? If your care starts when you buy it, theoretically, it is possible to get almost 4 years coverage???

AppleCare only extends the warranty to 3 years from date of purchase.

I just got last Fall's $1999 15" MBP (with ExpressCard/34 slot and removable battery) for $1349 from Apple's refurb store.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Quote:

AppleCare only extends the warranty to 3 years from date of purchase.

From date of purchase of the computer or purchase of AppleCare? I assume the computer.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

From date of purchase of the computer or purchase of AppleCare? I assume the computer.

Yes, the date of purchase of the computer. Apologies for not being clear.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Yes, the date of purchase of the computer. Apologies for not being clear.

Thanks for verifying it

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chipz View Post

Small Dog Electronics (smalldog.com) has a special on the Mac Mini 2.0 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 120 HDD, 19" Acer WS Monitor, Apple Care and a Canon Printer for $1089! Makes you think again about the mini, doesn't it?

Well it's a bloody big shame I'm in the UK! Know of any similar UK companies doing the same sort of thing? Anyone?

Cheers guys
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chipz View Post

Apples price:

\t?\tMini (Apple) $898.00

\t?\t2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

\t?\t4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB

\t?\t120GB Serial ATA Drive

\t?\tSuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

\t?\tUser's Guide (English)

\t?\tAppleCare Protection Plan for Mac mini (w/or w/o Display) - Auto-enroll

TigerDirect or CompUSA: Canon printer MP240 $70.00 / Acer 19" X193WBD monior $110.00

$898 + $70 +$110 = $1078 ==== $11.00 less than at Small Dog

Small Dog NOT A GOOD DEAL except monitor isn't covered by AppleCare but it may not be under Small Dog either.