Apple backtracks on Safari 4.0 tabs on top, ZFS

Comments

• Reply 101 of 173
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    One major limitation of ZFS is that you can't grow a RAID Z volume one disk at a time. The developers at Sun say "Just add another zpool, what's the big deal?". But each zpool uses the equivalent of 1 disk to store parity information. So the more zpools you combine together, the more disk space you lose to parity. In contrast, a hardware RAID 5 array still uses at most 1 disk for parity, regardless of how often you expand it.
  • Reply 102 of 173
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmac25 View Post

... Apple needs to fix this. Obviously computer/individual success or error, but when the beta works fine and the final version crashes....hmmmm

I don't know the answer to your problems, but I do know that logic dictates that the source is your computer not Safari 4. if the majority of folks upgrading this morning are all fine (and they seem to be) and you have these crashes and slowness, Occam's Razor suggests it's something specific to your system that's the problem.
  • Reply 103 of 173
    exscapeexscape Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

One major limitation of ZFS is that you can't grow a RAID Z volume one disk at a time. The developers at Sun say "Just add another zpool, what's the big deal?". But each zpool uses the equivalent of 1 disk to store parity information. So the more zpools you combine together, the more disk space you lose to parity. In contrast, a hardware RAID 5 array still uses at most 1 disk for parity, regardless of how often you expand it.

Replace "zpool" with "vdev" and you're right on track.

You can have multiple RAIDZ vdevs in a zpool, but never ever a pool in a pool.

Also, the developers at Sun says that they're working on adding devices to RAIDZ vdevs, not "what's the big deal". They've been saying that for a long time, though...
  • Reply 104 of 173
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Enter Time Machine... Jun 7, 2009... /Macintosh HD/Applications... Safari.app... Restore...

Oh, what a lovely tabs on top user experience!

2 minutes... Everything's allright.
  • Reply 105 of 173
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGuy'91 View Post

Count me in with those who liked the tabs on top. I wish Apple would at least give us the option, instead of deciding we don't need/want/like it!

When I opened a new tap this morning in Safari I couldn't help but say ugh and feel really disappointed. It may have taken a little bit of getting used to, but it sure was nice once you did!

Please someone come up with a plugin, or alteration that puts them back on top.

-Nathan

I am waiting as well.

In the meantime, you may want to try the following sequence, particularly if you like to view your favorite set of sites often.

Clean Sarfari Desktop
    • Command-shift-b

• Command-/

• Command-shift-\\

Better, use Automator toggles the above action on the top Safari window:
    • Launch Application: Safari

• Type Keystroke: Command-shift-b

• Type Keystroke: Command-/

• Type Keystroke: Command-shift-\\

• Save as an application

Even better yet, I created the following Hint* using Quickeys to select and reload specific sets of tabs with one keystroke.

*http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...ri%2Bbookmarks
  • Reply 106 of 173
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Is it now safe to enable Java Applet?
  • Reply 107 of 173
    vrkiranvrkiran Posts: 110member
    Especially for 1024x600 displays. You know what I mean.
  • Reply 108 of 173
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    FWIW:

I didn't like the tabs on top with Safari beta 4 and I found a post by Marvin on 02-28-2009 that suggested this site:

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/41555/140/

Under that site, I found the following article. It put the tabs in their "regular" position. I tried it and it worked.

I don't know if this would work to put the tabs on top for Safari 4.0 or not, but someone can try it - maybe with some possible modification.

=====================

Users running Safari in OS X are in for a treat because they are not require to edit the com.apple.Safari.plist file directly. Instead, you change preference setting with commands invoked in Terminal. For instance, to move the tabs bar to its regular position, you simply type the following command in Terminal (NOTE: The text here should be input on one line, it is divided into two lines for display purposes only):

defaults write com.apple.Safari

DebugSafari4TabBarIsOnTop -bool NO

Consequently, to move the tabs bar back to window's top, you need to change the value from NO to YES by typing the following command in Terminal.

defaults write com.apple.Safari

DebugSafari4TabBarIsOnTop -bool YES

If you want to set a preference setting to its default value, simply run the defaults command with the delete flag for a wanted preference item. In case of above mentioned tabs bar placement, you would type the following command in Terminal:

defaults delete com.apple.Safari

DebugSafari4TabBarIsOnTop

Note: The defaults command doesn't require you to include the -bool NO part.

==============

Maybe someone could try this in reverse and let us know if it works.

If it does work, the credit goes to Marvin. If it fails, blame me.
  • Reply 109 of 173
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Will someone please explain what is meant by the "loss" of ZFS? I'm not aware that OS X ever had it. Also, which posters who are lamenting the non-inclusion of ZFS have actually used it or is the familiarity simply from reading some feature/benefit page?

Regarding Safari 4 and tabs, I never became comfortable with tabs on top. I've been a Mac user for 21 years (I think) and to change the function of the title bar threw all of my learned notions about the Mac interface right out the window.
  • Reply 110 of 173
    exscapeexscape Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Will someone please explain what is meant by the "loss" of ZFS? I'm not aware that OS X ever had it. Also, which posters who are lamenting the non-inclusion of ZFS have actually used it or is the familiarity simply from reading some feature/benefit page?

They promised to bring ZFS officially to Snow Leopard server, and on a mailing list unofficially for the client. ZFS is in Leopard, but read-only, with a not-too-stable RW implementation available on zfs.macosforge.org.

FWIW, I've used ZFS, yes. I use it on a FreeBSD box that I plan to use as a server when 8.0 is released (I'm running 8-CURRENT atm, which is the bleeding edge development version). Also used it on Solaris 10.

Three words: ZFS is awesome.

Once you've used it for a while, you really, really miss it everywhere else, and I was really looking forward to having it on my MBP (with /Users on ZFS and the rest on HFS+) later this year. Looks like that future is a bit uncertain now, at best.
  • Reply 111 of 173
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    I don't find it surprising that since Oracle bought Sun we don't see ZFS.
  • Reply 112 of 173
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmac25 View Post

So the beta of Safari 4 was pretty good and stable. This release is terrible. Takes forever to load the home page at start-up. Just tried CNN.com and it took 52 sec to load and at same time Firefox 2.5 sec. No plug-ins here either. I threw away all prefs, un-installed, re-applied the 10.5.7 combo updater, and re-installed, fixed permissions, and still poor performance. Any one know how to get a beta copy again?

Apple needs to fix this. Obviously computer/individual success or error, but when the beta works fine and the final version crashes....hmmmm

I'd check your plugins.
  • Reply 113 of 173
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retiarius View Post

Although ZFS has been around for almost five years at Sun, sometimes it's

still treated as a research project.

E.g. to answer (real or perceived) threats from storage competitors like NetApp,

Sun is now playing with de-duplication, a marketing checkbox item for some,

but for others like ZFS principal Jeff Bonwick a thing to get right (i.e. done at the

block level). There is still an unresolved Sun/NetApp patent lawsuit which

may be taking Apple hostage, even though (old) Sun indemnifies ZFS users

against patent trolls.

As well, others are still experimenting with checksum methods, not only for

various time/space tradeoffs but to address potential mathematical flaws in

the mappings. Apple would have to carry around all the experimental baggage

for the sake of compatibility if they rolled it out now.

Other bits: compression methods are overrated since the stuff taking up the

most space (video, photos, and audio) are already compressed. Further, Apple

may still be working on an in-place HFS+ to ZFS converter for the masses, now

made more complicated by new choices.

Lastly, I always (mistakenly) thought that Apple was going to expand into enterprise

server land via purchase of Sun, a make-vs.-buy decision which they could have

done with a fraction of their cash horde. Now we've seen that Sun's customer lists

are more valuable to Oracle than others, and that Apple has minimized the use

of Java for their gear. Apple remains the highest-volume shipper of Unix.

To me, it is amazing to see them do this via clever layering to keep their goodies

from disturbing the various NIH-syndrome components they utilize.

you've got some really good points here!

Still, I'd like to see Apple roll out some kind of updated filesystem for their products sometime soon.
  • Reply 114 of 173
    garamondgaramond Posts: 109member
    I think Apple made a wise choice by moving the tabs back from the top. I never got used to them being on the top, it was just not intuitive and consistent to the overall UI.
  • Reply 115 of 173
    ipond317ipond317 Posts: 7member
    I actually had gotten used to the tabs on top feature and I find myself missing it now. But I'm having a hard time finding how to drag a window into another tab bar. I see the merge all windows option in the window menus, but where's the tear tab to drag a single window into another?
  • Reply 116 of 173
    lobosololobosolo Posts: 7member
    I immediately found a hack for the tabs on the beta to put them back on the bottom. I do agree it should be an option for the user.

I also found a hack for the blue progress bar return. I use 4.0 for the speed improvements not for the UI tweaks!
  • Reply 117 of 173
    fmaxwellfmaxwell Posts: 46member
    Quote:

Will someone please explain what is meant by the "loss" of ZFS? I'm not aware that OS X ever had it.

It's been in the pre-release builds of 10.6 (Snow Leopard) OS X Server for months and had been touted as a feature with speculation that it would migrate into the client OS in 10.7. Many of us have been waiting for it for over two years when the first versions started showing up in Leopard.

Quote:

Also, which posters who are lamenting the non-inclusion of ZFS have actually used it or is the familiarity simply from reading some feature/benefit page?

I've never tried it. I'm just an ignorant yahoo who gets all worked up about feature/benefit lists and buzzwords on web pages.

Oh, wait... That's not right. Now I remember. I've used ZFS under OpenSolaris to get familiar with the technology, concepts, and administration. I've read whitepapers from Sun on it, technical articles on it, and seen many of the Sun presentations and videos on the technology. I've been researching what it would take, cost-wise, to put together an OpenSolaris, hot-swappable, ZFS external array of SATA drives that ran over gigabit Ethernet. It's all come back to me now.

Perhaps you could work on reducing the condescension in your posts and I could try to back off on the sarcasm in my replies. Deal?
  • Reply 118 of 173
    kerrynkerryn Posts: 87member
    I'm really glad that tabs are back in the regular place. I tried Safari four but I just did not like the tabs at the top. I felt like I never knew how many windows were open and I felt "lost". Hence I tended to stick with Firefox even though it is as slow as molasses.
  • Reply 119 of 173
    I liked the tabs up top. Really should be an option
  • Reply 120 of 173
    I'd just like to register my disappointment with both the tab change and the ZFS disappearance.

Whether or not it clashed with Apple's own interface guidelines, I was enjoying the top tabs in the Safari beta. I'm not always delighted with window management on OS X, and I found the top tabs put open sites fewer clicks away, while nicely conserving screen real estate.

Obviously the Safari change was simply a user interface decision, and probably down to consistency. The issue of making ZFS enterprise-ready is a good deal more complex.

Happily, http://zfs.macosforge.org already provides working ZFS basics for Mac OS, so we're not out in the cold. However I am looking forward to using Apple's own tools for managing ZFS storage. It obviously shouldn't be rushed, but I do wish it were a priority for Apple.