Apple introduces 13-inch MacBook Pro, cheaper MacBook Airs

Comments

• Reply 181 of 225
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

Having to disassemble the case isn't exactly user friendly for most people. Personally I keep my machines until they are beyond the point of being upgradeable to remain useful; my iMac is from 2003, the PC is from 2005 and my last laptop was a K6 HP Pavilion that I had long enough that I went through 3 batteries (older technology of course) and just passed it on to a friend recently.

Not user friendl;y, but just as user friendly as adding more RAM. It?s certainly not that difficult to do, but not something that can be changed comfortably on a plane?s seatback tray. I imagine you might get an Air Marshall in your face if you start dismantling your MB on a flight to change out batteries. The fact is, most people never buy spare notebook batteries. I?m one of the few that carried multiple batteries but the new longer life is probably enough for me. If it isn?t I?ll just get the external that plugs into the MagSafe adapter. The beauty of that is that I can charge both at the same time, whereas before I was playing ?musical batteries? to get three batteries charged before a trip. The green aspect is nice, too, in a superficial way.

Quote:

It is just a minor quibble that wouldn't stop me from buying one. My understanding is that this battery type is relatively new technology and there is no telling how long they will actually last. That is what I was concerned about. Obviously if there is a defect or recall it should be covered under warranty.

How they last is a bit irrelevant as Apple has made statements as to it?s longevity. Besides getting a 1000 charges the increased usage time means you are charging it less often. Their old batteries had a 3 year warranty on them, and even those could be replaced after that if defective. If Apple is making claims they are likely to stick by it as they are quick to get sued for not living up to even falsely perceived specs. In any case, I don?t think you are taking much of a risk with this new technology. Perhaps an inconvenience if you have to get Apple to replace it, but that is probably all.
  • Reply 182 of 225
    Nuff said.
  • Reply 183 of 225
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    As I expalined bfore when apple came out with better you hey dumped FireWire as they dud nit want pro work done on these machines then fans said it was spacing. I said it was nit. It was to keep pro from using them. Now apple brings them back, cuts prices, another thing I said they would have to do to get ready for the tablet. And while we can all get along, it's about time fans realize dome of us have worked in business, tech, marketing fir a long time and not make silly statements like space for lack of FireWire. Sure the gpu is not that storng but you can do audio now.

Funny thing us my MacBook pro, whileqybe cheaperbis worth more. As you have to buy the 17 to get all the features. Will be interesting to see benchmarks in these new machine wonder how msft will respond. One thing is fir sure, msft worked and held apples hand to the fire as even more fanboys said they would never reduce prices. LOL. What a bad day for fans, great day fir consumers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

In truth any apple user in there right mind would never buy a mac without fire wire.

Any newbie who did not think it thru can now go to the show on quick time .WWDC http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.ne...rnal=ijalrmacu

AND enjoy the show please, all you people who just bought a new mac in the last 3 weeks and are here upset about it . We all get burned in life.

I once bought the apple dv special imac grey box on dec 24 th for my wife for Christmas. On jan 8 th or so apple dropped the price by 300 and doubled all the inside stuff. 9 yrs plus later I am still burning about this.

And before I buy any apple product I wait and wait and wait . RIGHT now very soon I will BUY a fully loaded 13" MBP. ITS PERFECT. I waited 18 months.

• Reply 184 of 225
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You people have a narrow idea of what a professional machine is. Why would a professional only use a 17? machine?

Unfortunately, its a side product of the last couple of years. Everything needs to be in a limited number of nice tidy packages. If you do one thing, you must automatically need a certain feature. Thankfully, though they need seem to be listening to the needs of the customers again ...when it comes to laptops at least.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

*high-fives Teck*

Wow. Firewire, and some serious price cuts to boot. Who slipped Steve the reasonable juice???

Plus, the iPhone 3GS now has almost every feature I ever asked for... MMS, voice-dialing, wider use of the landscape keyboard, video-recording, better camera resolution, etc etc... everything 'cept a good US carrier, a'course.

Bravo, Apple. Bravo, Steve.

Does Steve actually know about this? Tim Cook may be getting a summons to the Principal's office later this month.
  • Reply 185 of 225
    polvadispolvadis Posts: 87member
    What's the difference in the newly refreshed LED screen from the present model to the one from last week?

I'm looking at my 13" unibody MacBook and it looks great, and I read that the resolution is still the same. So what gives?
  • Reply 186 of 225
    nantonanto Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post

After yesterday's fury, I calmed down. I also realized, that 'Pro' in 'MacBook Pro' was short for 'prostitute'.

NOW it makes sense.

Thats a great way of looking at it...LOL

But im still furious and will be for a few days untill I can forgive myself for being so stupid.

The words Firewire technology of the past, only nedded for diehard professionals lol USB 2 and 3 are the future, get yourself a new USB camcorder etc etc etc Oh please
  • Reply 187 of 225
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

As I expalined bfore when apple came out with better you hey dumped FireWire as they dud nit want pro work done on these machines then fans said it was spacing. I said it was nit. It was to keep pro from using them. Now apple brings them back, cuts prices, another thing I said they would have to do to get ready for the tablet. And while we can all get along, it's about time fans realize dome of us have worked in business, tech, marketing fir a long time and not make silly statements like space for lack of FireWire. Sure the gpu is not that storng but you can do audio now.

Funny thing us my MacBook pro, whileqybe cheaperbis worth more. As you have to buy the 17 to get all the features. Will be interesting to see benchmarks in these new machine wonder how msft will respond. One thing is fir sure, msft worked and held apples hand to the fire as even more fanboys said they would never reduce prices. LOL. What a bad day for fans, great day fir consumers.

Are you making fun of me?
  • Reply 188 of 225
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Maybe a small speed bump in sept ??

And which one will you buy ?

13-inch: 2.26GHz

or the

13-inch 2.53GHz

Its not a trick question.

Also >> is it easy to upgrade our selves to higher ram and memory?

Secretly i feel a pull from the 15in 2 chip unibody.

2.53Ghz 13 inch- small form factor for me
  • Reply 189 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polvadis View Post

What's the difference in the newly refreshed LED screen from the present model to the one from last week?

I'm looking at my 13" unibody MacBook and it looks great, and I read that the resolution is still the same. So what gives?

it's the same as the 15" now. A PRO SCREEN. Big difference.
  • Reply 190 of 225
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

I don't know about the new 13" MB(P) screen vs. the old 13" MB screen but last Fall when I compared the 13" MB screen to the 15" MBP screen, the 15" screen was notably superior in brightness and viewing angle. Maybe Apple got the 15" LEDs into the 13" form factor?
  • Reply 191 of 225
    polvadispolvadis Posts: 87member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

it's the same as the 15" now. A PRO SCREEN. Big difference.

Well, what exactly is the difference? A better viewing angle? I keep reading "better" everywhere and yet no specifics. What is better?
  • Reply 192 of 225
    Quote:

Well, what exactly is the difference? A better viewing angle? I keep reading "better" everywhere and yet no specifics. What is better?

I am not sure if the MBPs actually use an IPS display, but the old MB clearly used a TN display. This article should explain some of the key differences.
  • Reply 193 of 225
    Quote:

Much Brighter, more colors, better blacks- the whole she-bang!
  • Reply 194 of 225
    Upon further inspection of the 13” MBP Apple has moved the Kensington lock to the other side next to the optical drive and removed the stand-alone mic input jack in favour of a combined line-in/line-out jack. That much we knew….

The space retrieved from this and the sliding of the headphone jack much closer toward the SD card slot compared to the spacing next to the mini-DisplayPort seems to have allowed Apple to keep the HDD where it is in the case, though potentially moved closer to the front edge now that the hatch plate frame and latching mechanism are no longer needed. Assuming the battery indicators are in the same place the space between the edge of the last jack and the battery power check button show that the same amount of room is still used.

image: http://www.notebookcheck.net/typo3te...17030bde82.jpg

image: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/imag...ge20090608.png

Looking forward to it being opened.
  • Reply 195 of 225
    Quote:

Upon further inspection of the 13” MBP Apple has moved the Kensington lock to the other side next to the optical drive and removed the stand-alone mic input jack in favour of a combined line-in/line-out jack. That much we knew….

The space retrieved from this and the sliding of the headphone jack much closer toward the SD card slot compared to the spacing next to the mini-DisplayPort seems to have allowed Apple to keep the HDD where it is in the case, though potentially moved closer to the front edge now that the hatch plate frame and latching mechanism are no longer needed.

image: http://www.notebookcheck.net/typo3te...17030bde82.jpg

image: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/imag...ge20090608.png

Do you think they threw out the stamp of the original MacBook?
  • Reply 196 of 225
    Quote:

Much Brighter, more colors, better blacks- the whole she-bang!

Blacks

much better blacks.
  • Reply 197 of 225
    applebookapplebook Posts: 350member
    Glad FW400 is gone from the Pro machines. FW400 is dead. Live with it.

Apple left it only as a vestige on the MB.
  • Reply 198 of 225
    lionheadlionhead Posts: 3member
    [QUOTE=solipsism;1429751]Upon further inspection of the 13? MBP Apple has moved the Kensington lock to the other side next to the optical drive and removed the stand-alone mic input jack in favour of a combined line-in/line-out jack. That much we knew?.

Will the Kensington lock actually work with the new MacBook Pros? My daughter's first generation unibody MacBook Pro isn't compatible with the Kensington lock according to Kensington.
  • Reply 199 of 225
    Quote:

That's so funny - I've waited 2 years for this too. And I too bought the iMacDV graphite-back in 12/99. I remember being on line during all the millenium craziness that New Year's. Love that machine . Remember it came loaded with "A Bugs Life" DVD? Back then Apple was at the forfront with those drives. Too bad the new Imac can't have blu-ray drive- "it's a bag of hurt". What a croc!

But I am so psyched about the 13incher. Finally something to make me purchase - hands down. And I do feel bad for those that bought the 13" MacBook. I almost bought one in April but was going to buy the white one instead. I can't believe what can happen when you wait.

And remember OTTO MATIC !
  • Reply 200 of 225
    Quote:

I am not sure if the MBPs actually use an IPS display, but the old MB clearly used a TN display. This article should explain some of the key differences.

I wish there were published specs from Apple that actually stated what TFT LCD display type is used in the different MacBooks/MacBookPros. And similarly, what display type the iMac uses in its different models, for that matter.

Good background info from your link.Thx.

Also see: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles...chnologies.htm

and: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD

I know the Apple build philosophy seems to be: never tell 'em what hardware is really inside -- re. HD, CD/DVD, LCD kind/manufacturers. Though they make an exception for the big interest items of CPU and GPU, obviously.

But I keep hoping for some way to find out the truth of what LCD panels are in the various Macs.

"the truth is out there..."