Apple testing 'Find my iPhone' ahead of other MobileMe improvements

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

Great! now I can track my cheating whore girlfriend...

And she can track you.
  • Reply 42 of 64
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    She can track you while you're tracking her. It's the new foreplay.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stellaclose View Post

I just tried out the remote wipe feature and found a bug.

You can cancel the the remote wipe by holding down the Home & Sleep/Awake buttons at the same time as the iPhone/iPod starts up.

It's more likely your phone would be stolen to be sold to a pawn shop, not for the data on it unless you have credit card info easily accessible.
  • Reply 44 of 64
    yardsaleyardsale Posts: 4member
    I wish they would make this a one time pay app like $10 dollars and we could use it without mobilme. I love this idea but i really dont want to buy the mobileme service.
  • Reply 45 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post

i suppose you have already caught her and thats why are making this comment...

why spend the extra $$$ and be locked to this feature, just kick her to the curb

once a CHEATER always a cheater

Do you really think he has a girlfriend? I mean, come on.
  • Reply 46 of 64
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yardsale View Post

I wish they would make this a one time pay app like $10 dollars and we could use it without mobilme. I love this idea but i really dont want to buy the mobileme service.

I think that's pretty much the idea. Add enough stuff to Mobile Me so that it seems worth it.

For my money, they're not quite there yet, but they're getting there.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    Works perfectly, although I did not test the wipe feature. But find my phone and send message and tone work a treat!
  • Reply 48 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yardsale View Post

AT&T has a service, I think for $2 a phone per month, that can locate your phone on their network. I?d figure it uses the cell towers, not GPS, but like the MobileMe it?s not detectible to the user.
  • Reply 49 of 64
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    The screenshots in this article all are of safari 4 beta with the beautiful TABS ON TOP. Aaah those were the days ... good times ... <sniff>

• Reply 50 of 64
    tonyhoyletonyhoyle Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The IMEI can be spoofed. The SW unlocker/jailbreaker apps often give you that option.

Change the IMEI = jail term. Only one unlocker for the iphone gave you that option and it was removed (and that unlocker doesn't work any more).

Someone who's hawking a phone for drug money etc. isn't going to go to the expense of working out how to change the IMEI (on most phones that's very hard to do anyway). They'll see it's been bricked and therefore worthless and throw it away - it stops them running up your phone bill etc.

OTOH if you wipe it they can still use it - and sell it.
  • Reply 51 of 64
    Tracking not working while roaming in Germany...

Is it supposed to work while roaming? I don't think that was ever really said one way or another. Anyone know?
  • Reply 52 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

Great! now I can track my cheating whore girlfriend...

Only if she' turned on...
  • Reply 53 of 64
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    I'm still waiting for the James Bond-style "Explode My iPhone" for whatever bastards happen to take it.
  • Reply 54 of 64
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    I've yet to get it working for me. I'd give the details but I think I'm not supposed to go there.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    kriskkalukriskkalu Posts: 59member
    Hey Postulant your map looks like mine!

• Reply 56 of 64
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Will ever see Apple doing something like the Current M$ offering,

Backup of your SMS, Phonebook inside MobileMe account.

If they do then i am more then willing to sign up.
  • Reply 57 of 64
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wahoo59 View Post

Since you've used the new MobileMe remote wipe/find my iphone, can you do the remote wipe multiple times. The reason I ask is having lost a cell phone, it would be nice to inconvenience the person who didn't return it. Does anyone have this type of info available?

You can only do this once. Once you wipe, as of now, you can't re-wipe. ewww, that sounded bad when I said it out load.
  • Reply 58 of 64
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kriskkalu View Post

Hey Postulant your map looks like mine!

Another Tylerite.... cool.
  • Reply 59 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My Find My iPhone still can?t find my iPhone despite being GPS and internet connected. I have tried turning it on and off to jump start but nothing. It worked the first time and now nothing. I tried the remote wipe to see if that somehow would work; now I have a pending remote wipe that I can?t turn off. I?m about to leave soon and may have royally FUBAR my phone for the day. The price of jumping in head first.

I was finally able to get me.com to find my iPhone, send it a message and then attempt to remote wipe it.

The issue was that I had Fetch on manual and Push turned off, despite having Find My iPhone turned on in the Mail preferences for Mobile Me. if both are turned off my phone can?t be found despite still getting mail from MM and having Maps find my location via GPS. After I turned either of them on the ?what?s up?? message and remote wipe I sent nearly 24 hours ago popped up.

Another issue, as stated earlier in this thread, is that you can hold down the Sleep and Home buttons to turn off the device before the wipe executes. When you restart the wipe command is gone and the MM site has no record if it was wiped or not. I hope they fix this. If not, presumably this won?t be an issue with the iPhone 3GS if the HW encryption has to merely delete a the encryption key. I doubt we could turn it off before that executes.
  • Reply 60 of 64
    Hi! I need HELP! I have upgraded to 3.0 and have tried Find my iPhone and have remote wiped. for more than 2 hours. iTunes don’t recognize my iPhone and I am not able neither to put it in DFU mode. Any ideas? Is my iPhone bricked???? Help!!!! Thank you!

Help on [email protected]