Snow Leopard gets richer, thinner, cheaper than Windows 7

Comments

• Reply 41 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JayEssTee View Post

For the record, this post reads like a very dry parody of a rabid fanboy. I would be impressed if that was the intention, and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, so bravo!

Oh, how I've missed Prince McLean's orgasmic reviews of Apple. I don't know how people survived in the days before Steve Jobs and Apple came along drove away the locusts and hordes of marauders and purified the rivers and the air and ended sadness and death.

:d
  • Reply 42 of 190
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
  • Reply 43 of 190
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    This article is positively tame compared to the endless whining of Windows bloggers afer Serlet's comments, which by the way, encapsulate the situation quite nicely.

Apple consistently and beautifully gives the finger to MS because it knows it's got the goods to impress, year after year, keynote after keynote.

Bashing MS is not only fun, but it's also well-deserved by MS. A company with that kind of R&D budget, pulling in that kind of revenue off their ridiculously lucrative licensing scheme (part of the the problem, really), and over the years, what have they rolled out? In short, shit. In detail:

- Another version of Windows (7) - this makes the first presumably decent version since XP, not that XP was anything to be proud about. MS couldn't get a decent OS out the door in nearly 8 YEARS.

- More Office versions and some confusing Live services that keep getting rebranded, junked, and then replaced, then rinse/repeat.

- Zune (needs no further comment)

- Xbox (this is actually something compelling)

- Bing: an answer to a question no one asked

- Another version of the World's Worst Browser

Where is all that R&D money going? We sure as hell aren't seeing anything come of it. Apple, with a fraction of MS' R&D, manages to upstage them year after year, keynote after keynote, product after product. Apple bashes MS because they know it works. And because they know they can tap into what the average consumer already suspects about MS. It's a wonderful way of reinforcing widely-held ideas: Windows is common, cheap, and perpetually broken (the last part virtually created the entire IT industry.) We don't need any "balanced" viewpoints about MS/Apple because there isn't any balance to begin with.

There you have it. Not only does MS have no taste, they've been essentially out of ideas since the early part of this decade. Schiller and (more specifically) Bertrand Serlet were correct in their bashing of MS. No need to be nice to competition that is years behind and is in many ways, holding back the entire industry with their horrible excuses for consumer products. MS is essentially a corporate software-provider masquerading as a home/consumer-oriented operation. They don't belong in the home consumer space because they don't know how to manage it.

Apple doesn't create the hype. Users do. Users do because there is reason to. Apple creates great products that people want or didn't even know they wanted. It's just that simple. It's all about attitude - the attitude toward how people should interact with technology; the process that occurs from the time someone picks up a device to the time the result is achieved. When Apple engineers and designers sit down to create/implement something new, dollars-to-donuts there are very different forces at work in their heads compared to anyone else, anywhere else. It's a completely different mind-set. We even heard Schiller and Serlet say that at Apple, they come at this from a completely different place. So true.
  • Reply 44 of 190
    I wish people would stop using odd abbreviations, what does MSFT mean?

Its an bad as bioloigy, with Sos and PDECGF...
  • Reply 45 of 190
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,366member
    Very well written article!

From this day fwd I will only read (and enjoy) AI's articles....I will no longer subject myself to reading the comments which are all too often snarky and, to be perfectly honest, a waste of time!

Best.
  • Reply 46 of 190
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChrisDaMacMan View Post

I wish people would stop using odd abbreviations, what does MSFT mean?

Google is your friend
  • Reply 47 of 190
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Google is your friend

...or try this one.

http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:MSFT
  • Reply 48 of 190
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    I would have thought it was obvious why their marketing department came up with the 'Windows 7' moniker. They knew it would be coming out soon after 10.6, and quite some time before 10.7. This suggests, on a subliminal level, that their operating system is one step ahead of Apple's.
  • Reply 49 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

I can't wait till Windows 7 release. Apple is gonna make great ads to show that it is really just fixed Vista.

LOL

Fixed Vista? Yeah, they want you to think they have. I beta tested Win7. Crashed my laptop 3 times on install, then once I finally got it work, I didn't find any "fix" to the OS. Still had every problem in the book.
  • Reply 50 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

...or try this one.

http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:MSFT

The Preview Post button is also your friend.
  • Reply 51 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

I would have thought it was obvious why their marketing department came up with the 'Windows 7' moniker. They knew it would be coming out soon after 10.6, and quite some time before 10.7. This suggests, on a subliminal level, that their operating system is one step ahead of Apple's.

in theory, if you wanna believe the HYPE and are in constant denial...

but this is as bad as it gets...

(and they say KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!!)

Buy It.. Try It ... then bury it ...

The EFF have declared Microsoft Windows and Microsoft products unfit for use.

They're not the first but their declaration may prove to be the most dramatic.

http://rixstep.com/2/20090326,00.shtml
  • Reply 52 of 190
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JayEssTee View Post

For the record, this post reads like a very dry parody of a rabid fanboy.

Unfortunately, it IS just a rabid fanboy, RoughlyDrafted's Dilger in disguise.

I stopped reading the article after the first paragraph. And even that paragraph just read as "I hate Microsoft. Apple RULZ!" And then it just became "blah, blah, blah." I'm guessing he did what all of his overwrought articles do, give some history lesson detailing how Microsoft is the anti-Christ and continues trying to destroy civilization as we know it and probably something about Ballmer making kids cry by telling them that Santa Claus isn't real.

Note to AI webmaster: Could you please just update the URL to www.roughlydrafted.com and be done with it?
  • Reply 53 of 190
    acknightacknight Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

So,

My iMac 24 has an Nvidia 8800GS not listed above. So I won't be able to take advantage of OpenCL ??

If it's any consolation, the base graphics card (Radeon HD 2600) that I have in my Mac Pro 2x3.2ghz won't either \
  • Reply 54 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acknight View Post

If it's any consolation, the base graphics card (Radeon HD 2600) that I have in my Mac Pro 2x3.2ghz won't either \

Is there a list somewhere?
  • Reply 55 of 190
    gtl215gtl215 Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

200+ posts of pure whine on Neowin:

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/0...sy-is-blinding

Priceless.

Bertrand Serlet was sooo mean!!!

hah...i love how the comments sections to that article quickly devolves into a grammatical debate. And users named "gangsta" are adding their two cents.
  • Reply 56 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTL215 View Post

hah...i love how the comments sections to that article quickly devolves into a grammatical debate. And users named "gangsta" are adding their two cents.

Grammatical debate? So a lot like this forum, eh?
  • Reply 57 of 190
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post

well try reading this article; which isn't propaGanda from AI -its from a different source with the TRUTH & CONSEQUENCEs of Windoze BLOATWARE and why MICRO$HIT has so many problems..

then repost here...

there was a song way back when and it went something like ...

WAKE UP EVERYBODY NO MORE SLEEPING IN BED...

The Truth and the Consequences

Micro$hit cannot prevent interlopers from corrupting the system and the computer hardware resources. Micro$hit can tell you after the fact you need to restore your system because it's been compromised but they can't stop it from happening in the first place. No other operating system does this. It's not a real operating system if you can't protect resources including the system code itself and Windows can't do that. Not today, not tomorrow, not ever.

Ordinary program files can't be protected. Rootkits are installed with the greatest of ease - and without relying on social engineering to escalate privileges. Malware abounds - over 100,000 strains in the wild. And so forth. This is the price to pay for putting a standalone single user system on the Internet without a thought to the safety of one's paying customers.

Why won't Micro$hit improve things? Because they can't. Because they have so many millions of third party software titles they depend on. These titles would break under a new system. Operating system vendors need a thriving third party software market to survive - but it works the other way around too: if the third party software sector grows too big it can prevent the operating system vendor from making changes that need to be made.

Micro$hit could ship Windows sandboxed in Linux; but then every Windows user would have access to Linux and third party software would just ignore Windows in the future. Micro$hit would lose their stranglehold on the personal computing market.

In a world of pervasive networking even an operating system designed for single user use needs multiuser capability because without that any network transaction that can trick a user into running malicious code that will subvert the entire system. Without strong multitasking the ability of an operating system to handle network traffic and run user programs at the same time will be impaired.

As the designers of BeOS noticed, the requirements of pervasive networking cannot be met without implementing something very close to general purpose timesharing. Single user client operating systems cannot thrive in an Internetted world.

Windows gets away with having severe deficiencies in these areas only by virtue of having developed a monopoly position before networking became really important and by having a user population that has been conditioned to accept a shocking frequency of crashes and security breaches as normal.

This is not a stable situation. (and this DOESn't EXIST ON APPLE's MAC OS X LEOPARD)

- Eric Raymond

here is the entire article if you care to read...and LEARN something before you post here...

http://rixstep.com/2/20090326,00.shtml

I don't know why you're trying to be so condescending.

I've been a member of AI for over four years and I have 2,556 posts to the forums. Like I already said, it's not that I disagree with the content of the article? clearly I prefer Macs? I just think the manner in which the news is presented is laughably hyperbolic and somewhat biased.
  • Reply 58 of 190
    To the writer of the article: How can Snow Leopard be "cheaper than Windows 7" when Microsoft has not announced Windows 7 pricing yet??

Also note, that if Apple is selling an operating system for $29 than we can assume that it is only worth that much. It is not likely that Apple, out of the warmness of their heart, wanted to slash its operating system price down $100, just because.

What is more likely is that Snow Leopard is, admittedly, not a significant upgrade. Plus given the so far success of Windows 7 they are experiencing a more competitive operating system landscape than before - to which Apple is rightly responding with deep price cuts.

Aaron
  • Reply 59 of 190
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    ARGH! I almost vomited after reading what those poor people at Neowin said...

So HFS+ is the worst FS out there? And NTFS is... excellent?

So Apple dropping PowerPC due to platform difference issues is the same thing as M$ dropping PCs out because of the ridiculous reqs.?

So Snow Leopard, a nearly complete re-write of Leopard with lots of important refinements and twice the speed is "just a paid bug fixing update"? WTF?

So is you have "a bit of knowledge and common sense" all of Window's crashes will be gone? Will the power of imagination fix the ridiculously poor-written code based on a foundation as solid as sand?

So Apple sells computers JUST because they are pretty?

So Windows 7 (or should I say Vista SP2?) have the same stunning improvements Snow will have?

So if Snow Leopard is twice as fast as Leopard, that is too good to be true and thus that's because LEOPARD IS SLOW??? Isn't it more logical to think the same of M$'s Windows 7/Vista????

Someone. Please. Just kill them.
  • Reply 60 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

ARGH! I almost vomited after reading what those poor people at Neowin said...

So HFS+ is the worst FS out there? And NTFS is... excellent?

So Apple dropping PowerPC due to platform difference issues is the same thing as M$ dropping PCs out because of the ridiculous reqs.?

So Snow Leopard, a nearly complete re-write of Leopard with lots of important refinements and twice the speed is "just a paid bug fixing update"? WTF?

So is you have "a bit of knowledge and common sense" all of Window's crashes will be gone? Will the power of imagination fix the ridiculously poor-written code based on a foundation as solid as sand?

So Apple sells computers JUST because they are pretty?

So Windows 7 (or should I say Vista SP2?) have the same stunning improvements Snow will have?

So if Snow Leopard is twice as fast as Leopard, that is too good to be true and thus that's because LEOPARD IS SLOW??? Isn't it more logical to think the same of M$'s Windows 7/Vista????

Someone. Please. Just kill them.

You don't kill misguided (to the point of illness) people.

There is no easy cure for Stockholm-syndrome.

Users buy Apple prducts. Users perpetuate the hype (not Apple), and there is good reason for the hype. Most Windows users can't begin to understand how it is that Apple users are so enthusiastic. It doesn't happen out of thin air. It happens because we're getting some great tech from a company with the right attitude when it comes to design and the implementation thereof.

Apple has the guts to always go on the attack. And that's what you're supposed to do. Apple is supremely confident in their product very simply because they have all the reason in the world to be. Steve Jobs comes right out and says MS has no taste. Bill Gates usually answers meekly about MS products (constantly), and Ballmer has been known to all but concede openly that MS is behind the curve. Something is defintely wrong when the Redmond powers-that-be misspeak like this. Their main differentiator is the poor-mans differentiator: price. Except there's a certain class of user that can easily tell the difference.

But don't go spreading that around.