Apple stuns WWDC crowd with pulsating App Store hyperwall

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    marikmarik Posts: 26member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Why would this need 20 Mac Pros?? You would think five of them with quad DVI port Quadro cards could do the job...

Anyways, quite awesome indeed!

Probably because there are 20 screens....
  • Reply 22 of 86
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Where were the fart apps?

When one of those is downloaded, it looks like a lit match with a flame shooting out across the screen.
  • Reply 23 of 86
    All glory to the hypnowall!
  • Reply 24 of 86
    Now we know how Steve's been keeping tabs on things. He has a room full of these like Colonel Sanders in The Matrix.
  • Reply 25 of 86
    Thats really cool. But i still wonder.. why wasnt a few Mac Pros powerful enough to do the job? They use only like 10 to make the highest graphic intense movies.. why would they need 20?
  • Reply 26 of 86
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danbirchall View Post

All glory to the hypnowall!

Futurama ftw!
  • Reply 27 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polarissucks View Post

Thats really cool. But i still wonder.. why wasnt a few Mac Pros powerful enough to do the job? They use only like 10 to make the highest graphic intense movies.. why would they need 20?

I think the more important question is...

Why are there duplicate apps on the top 20,000 list?

The same reason there are a billion apps downloaded. Everytime I go and check upgrades on my iPhone i get upgrades from 4 months ago and then when I synch it with iTunes it re-downloads the app and then re-synchs it to my iPhone giving them 3 downloads for every app.

Top 20,000 Come on, please somebody on this board knows that this number isn't real.

It's called creative accounting where I work. You make your sales target, hold the rest as "work in progress" and then account for them on the next quarter.

But Apple has made it a lot more apparent that they are cooking their download app numbers. Upgrade, another app sold, app deleted and then downloaded again... another app sold.

You know it's the truth. I use 6 apps (all the time, Sportacular (greatest sport app I've found), AP News, USA Today, Pandora, Wall Street Journal & Shazam. They are all Free.

Yes they make the iPhone a pleasure to use. Do I need to upgrade for any of them?

No. I don't need a compass and have 3G. AT&T still sucks, as does their upgrade path but Apple knew this going into the 3G (S)ucker campaign.
  • Reply 28 of 86
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seahawk Fan 2 View Post

I think the more important question is...

Why are there duplicate apps on the top 20,000 list?

The same reason there are a billion apps downloaded. Everytime I go and check upgrades on my iPhone i get upgrades from 4 months ago and then when I synch it with iTunes it re-downloads the app and then re-synchs it to my iPhone giving them 3 downloads for every app.

Top 20,000 Come on, please somebody on this board knows that this number isn't real.

It's called creative accounting where I work. You make your sales target, hold the rest as "work in progress" and then account for them on the next quarter.

But Apple has made it a lot more apparent that they are cooking their download app numbers. Upgrade, another app sold, app deleted and then downloaded again... another app sold.

You know it's the truth. I use 6 apps (all the time, Sportacular (greatest sport app I've found), AP News, USA Today, Pandora, Wall Street Journal & Shazam. They are all Free.

Yes they make the iPhone a pleasure to use. Do I need to upgrade for any of them?

No. I don't need a compass and have 3G. AT&T still sucks, as does their upgrade path but Apple knew this going into the 3G (S)ucker campaign.

All this tells me is you're a cheap SOB who doesn't actually do business work on your phone but need to keep up on the latest Yellow Journalism today we call Current Events.
  • Reply 29 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

All this tells me is you're a cheap SOB who doesn't actually do business work on your phone but need to keep up on the latest Yellow Journalism today we call Current Events.

You are correct in one context. I don't use my iPhone for Business, I have a BB Bold (corporate issued). My iPhone isn't allowed in my companies domain (not even on WiFi).

So what compelled you to call me a cheap son of a bitch? Because the iPhone 3GS wasn't a worthy upgrade for me?

I don't need a compass, I don't need Mobile Me (for $99 a year) to tell me where my phone is.

My 3G will get me by until I can find an upgrade to my phone where I don't need to pay $699 to get 2 year old features.

The best one of the day was the missed iPhone "Feature" the screen is "Oleophobic" Which means it doesn't show grease on the screen. With my 3G I rub the screen on my slacks and it's grease free.

Is this really a feature or an excuse for not having OLED?

Oleophobic. That one made my day, it was really funny that Apple would show this as a feature.

Hey Joe, my new phones screen is Oleophobic. You mean OLED? No it doesn’t show fingerprints.

LMAOROF.
  • Reply 30 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Why would this need 20 Mac Pros?? You would think five of them with quad DVI port Quadro cards could do the job...

Anyways, quite awesome indeed!

That is what I was thinking. It would be REALLY impressive if that whole display was being run from one machine!
  • Reply 31 of 86
    Apple Sucks
  • Reply 32 of 86
    spiffy1spiffy1 Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Interestingly, at least based on the very brief video clips, there are roughly 100-150 apps (based on my very rough estimate of 5-7 per panel) that are being downloaded at a steady clip, while the other 18,000 odd apps are just acting as a static background.

I'm sure over a longer time period you would see more randomness, but it's a little ironic that this mighty wall of icons makes it clear at a glance that most of the action is centered around a relative handful of apps.

Must be fun, though, if you have something on the app store that's included on the wall, to stand around and wait for it pulse. Especially if it's one of the almost continuous plusers, which must be hypnotic indeed.

It shows what's currently "hot", as it were. Reflecting current trends. I'm sure what's "hot" changes day to day depending on a myriad of factors. It would be cool to see a time-lapse video over several days...
  • Reply 33 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

[...]

That page was a pain though. It crashes Safari repeatedly, Opera wouldn't show the flash elements and Firefox won't play the entire clips.

Odd, it does take some time to load, but I didn't see any crashes. This is under OS X 10.5.7 and Safari 3.2.3.
  • Reply 34 of 86
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    those bubbles popping up here and there seem quite sparse for worldwide presence, I dare say. \
  • Reply 35 of 86
    i386i386 Posts: 91member
    Must of being cool to see this live.
  • Reply 36 of 86
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    Is everyone at WWDC bald?
  • Reply 37 of 86
    gcsgcs Posts: 29member
    ONly the developers
  • Reply 38 of 86
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    I think I just had a Geekgasm.
  • Reply 39 of 86
    ireality85ireality85 Posts: 316member
    Fancy wall... there's our Apple tax dollars hard at work (ducks from flying projectiles).

Sorry, I had to
  • Reply 40 of 86
    Very impressive. Perhaps they'll make something similar for the larger Apple retail stores. It'd definitely draw customers in (along with those who are high).