Apple introduces 13-inch MacBook Pro, cheaper MacBook Airs

Comments

• Reply 201 of 225
    greglogreglo Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

In truth any apple user in there right mind would never buy a mac without fire wire.

WTF are you on? Seriously?

In the few years I've had my Mac I've never used, nor had to use, firewire. I couldn't even point to the port.

I am happy for all the people that do use it and do want it and have got it back, but let's not delude ourselves here - firewire is a non-issue for a ridiculous amount of people. There is no need to call people crazy or insane because they couldn't care less about a they don't use.
  • Reply 202 of 225
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xyz001 View Post

Im just saying that the old Macbook 13" with the 9400M was one of the most powerful 13" laptops out there. It outperformed the Sony SR, the Sony Z and the Lenovo models.

Now the Sony SR is twice as fast as the macbook. (because of the 4570)

It is just a fact. The Macbook 13" went from being Top-of-the-line to being half as fast.

And at the same time they added the "pro" name.

This is not for gaming only, but for "pro" 3D applications, and i guess all the Open CL stuff.

Why do we give a shit about the Sony?

We want a Mac that runs OS X, not a Windoze machine.

Go away and buy your Sony, troll.
  • Reply 203 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nanto View Post

"Wrote this on another forum"

Having bought my non Firewire non SD slot non Macbook "Pro" ...13" Macbook (aluminium) in March I now have a Laptop thats worthless.

Ok update the RAM, Hard Drive, Processor but giving it a new name "Pro" after 6 months and put in Firewire after saying its dead for so long Djeeesssssss

You could have at least given something to the poor sods that trusted you and bought the aluminium Macbook when it came out

Thanks Apple

What an idiot!

Does the computer you bought not do all things it did when you bought it?

Have Apple magically removed some functions without you noticing?

Has it stopped working?

Do you thing that computers will never get updated / improved / cheaper?

Does the name really make a difference? Or are we just talking about your bragging rights?

Grow up and try living in the real world!
  • Reply 204 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

Having to disassemble the case isn't exactly user friendly for most people. Personally I keep my machines until they are beyond the point of being upgradeable to remain useful; my iMac is from 2003, the PC is from 2005 and my last laptop was a K6 HP Pavilion that I had long enough that I went through 3 batteries (older technology of course) and just passed it on to a friend recently.

It is just a minor quibble that wouldn't stop me from buying one. My understanding is that this battery type is relatively new technology and there is no telling how long they will actually last. That is what I was concerned about. Obviously if there is a defect or recall it should be covered under warranty.

You may never need a battery in the new machines.

They give 1000 charges before they start to decrease their capacity.

They are not dead after 1000 charges, so even after 5 years you can still be getting 80% battery capacity. If you want to replace it then it will still cost you less than the 3 batteries you would buy with the old technology!
  • Reply 205 of 225
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greglo View Post

WTF are you on? Seriously?

In the few years I've had my Mac I've never used, nor had to use, firewire. I couldn't even point to the port.

I am happy for all the people that do use it and do want it and have got it back, but let's not delude ourselves here - firewire is a non-issue for a ridiculous amount of people. There is no need to call people crazy or insane because they couldn't care less about a they don't use.

I never said crazy or insane. Even if you never used fire wire before just being there affords you great power. Many of us here remember 4 hr DATA TRANSFERS with usb. And with firewire its 17 minutes. And god forbid your mac dies. I would swoop in with my mac and my firewire wire and turn your mac on from my mac under slave control.> target disc mode>. TRY that with usb.

ok.

• Reply 206 of 225
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bruce Young View Post

I wish there were published specs from Apple that actually stated what TFT LCD display type is used in the different MacBooks/MacBookPros. And similarly, what display type the iMac uses in its different models, for that matter.

Good background info from your link.Thx.

Also see: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles...chnologies.htm

and: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD

I know the Apple build philosophy seems to be: never tell 'em what hardware is really inside -- re. HD, CD/DVD, LCD kind/manufacturers. Though they make an exception for the big interest items of CPU and GPU, obviously.

But I keep hoping for some way to find out the truth of what LCD panels are in the various Macs.

"the truth is out there..."

There are 'ioreg' commands that will get you the information you seek.
  • Reply 207 of 225
    fjpoblamfjpoblam Posts: 126member
    Upgradeable to 8G? Lots of resource there, for me. I think I may see a 13-inch MBP in my future, like SOON!
  • Reply 208 of 225
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Just saw and played with these 13" babies. I need one now- I am salivating.
  • Reply 209 of 225
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rnb2 View Post

JFC, people, we're talking about computers! They're obsolete when you buy them!

Computers perhaps, but not necessarily technologies.

With the Unibody MacBooks Apple effectively pulled the rug out from under many people's feet.

The decision was a massive mistake on Apple's part. Judging from some posts on Apple's mailing lists even manufacturers were not made aware of the decision to remove FW on those Macs and as a result some products were jeopardised. What made things worse was Apple's failure to explain the logic behind the decision (barring Steve Jobs supposed email two liner, which if authentic, is a kick in the teeth to the people that use firewire).

In software, when Apple decides to phase out an API it normally gives programmers ample time to work around the future removal of the API. They should do the same with manufacturers when it comes to technological change. Firewire as a technology should be phased out when firewire accessories become scarce and then wait a couple of years at that before removing it from macs. A lot of people have invested heavily in the technology, buying into Apple's own support of the bus. Given the support shown by users and manufacturers alike, Apple should declare its roadmap for firewire. It has nothing to lose by doing this.

As it is, a lot of damage has already been done by its refusal to make things clear over the last seven months. There is absolutely no justification for that silence and we don't know how many boardroom decisions were made during those seven months on possible future firewire products by third parties.

In the past Apple had a clear stance. They wanted us to use firewire and for manufacturers to pay the licence fees (that last point was a huge mistake). Now, it's anybody's guess. Is support for FW3200 planned, for example.

We can put this episode alongside others that demonstrate that Apple has the unique ability of constantly shooting itself in the foot with negative results for users - just look at the unnecessary frustration caused by the move to USB. Now, that's IRONIC.
  • Reply 210 of 225
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avon B7 View Post

Computers perhaps, but not necessarily technologies.

With the Unibody MacBooks Apple effectively pulled the rug out from under many people's feet.

The decision was a massive mistake on Apple's part. Judging from some posts on Apple's mailing lists even manufacturers were not made aware of the decision to remove FW on those Macs and as a result some products were jeopardised. What made things worse was Apple's failure to explain the logic behind the decision (barring Steve Jobs supposed email two liner, which if authentic, is a kick in the teeth to the people that use firewire).

In software, when Apple decides to phase out an API it normally gives programmers ample time to work around the future removal of the API. They should do the same with manufacturers when it comes to technological change. Firewire as a technology should be phased out when firewire accessories become scarce and then wait a couple of years at that before removing it from macs. A lot of people have invested heavily in the technology, buying into Apple's own support of the bus. Given the support shown by users and manufacturers alike, Apple should declare its roadmap for firewire. It has nothing to lose by doing this.

As it is, a lot of damage has already been done by its refusal to make things clear over the last seven months. There is absolutely no justification for that silence and we don't know how many boardroom decisions were made during those seven months on possible future firewire products by third parties.

In the past Apple had a clear stance. They wanted us to use firewire and for manufacturers to pay the licence fees (that last point was a huge mistake). Now, it's anybody's guess. Is support for FW3200 planned, for example.

We can put this episode alongside others that demonstrate that Apple has the unique ability of constantly shooting itself in the foot with negative results for users - just look at the unnecessary frustration caused by the move to USB. Now, that's IRONIC.

Good news you company is saved. APPLE INC. will put fire wire on every computer as of this past monday. yay
  • Reply 211 of 225
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avon B7 View Post

Agreed. Apple could still turn this around. As I have stated elsewhere on the board, Apple only need look at their policy of licensing and either drastically reduce licensing fees for the FW800 standard or get rid of such fees altogether. In doing so they could encourage peripheral/PC manufacturers to include the port while making the average consumer aware of the benefits of FireWire over USB thus giving momentum to further FireWire standards development. In simple terms... give the masses a free taster, advertise the benefits and reap the rewards further down the line.
  • Reply 212 of 225
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Anyone have a quick suggestion on firewire 400 to 800 link (cable or otherwise)? I have some Macs and external HDs with one and not the other.
  • Reply 213 of 225
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

Anyone have a quick suggestion on firewire 400 to 800 link (cable or otherwise)? I have some Macs and external HDs with one and not the other.

$4.96 6ft
  • Reply 214 of 225
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

$4.96 6ft

IVE often wondered about that too
  • Reply 215 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Just saw and played with these 13" babies. I need one now- I am salivating.

me too!!!!
  • Reply 216 of 225
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MiMac View Post

IVE often wondered about that too

What the hell happened with that? Let me retry

$4.96 6ft cable
  • Reply 217 of 225
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubit View Post

The cable link posted is for a mini-FW400 to FW800 cable.

(edit: ) here is one from same vendor for 6-pin FW400 to 9-pin FW800 cable. http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Other options, and which work better for me, for external FW400 (6-pin) devices to plug into new FW800 ports (9-pin) on the various new MacBooks, Minis, iMacs:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/fw_adapter.html - Adapter $15 from Sonnett, $12 or so from Amazon and others. Because it is an FW800 male plug/FW400 female socket adapter device , it allows you to use your existing FW400 device cables.

http://www.cwol.com/firewire/firewir...94b-cables.htm - Cable with FW800 (male) one end, FW400 (male) other end. $10.

Since I already have a ton of FW400 cables, I will probably get one or several of the Sonnet adapters... (I wonder if they discount for multiple... )
  • Reply 218 of 225
    acerbasacerbas Posts: 6member
    Does anyone know which processor Apple uses in the new 13" MaBook Pros? The 25w P9500, or the 35w T9400? Or neither of them? Although the 9500 is more expensive it would seem to offer the advantages of less heat (imagine, a laptop you could actually use on your lap), and longer battery life.

"As for pointing to our mental failures with scorn or dismay, we might as well profess disappointment with the mechanics of gravity or the laws of thermodynamics. In other words, the degree of disillusionment we feel in response to any particular human behavior is the precise measure of our ignorance of its evolutionary and genetic origins."

-- Reg Morrison, The Spirit in the Gene
  • Reply 219 of 225
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acerbas View Post

Does anyone know which processor Apple uses in the new 13" MaBook Pros? The 25w P9500, or the 35w T9400? Or neither of them? Although the 9500 is more expensive it would seem to offer the advantages of less heat (imagine, a laptop you could actually use on your lap), and longer battery life.

I can?t be certain as it?s a new revision, but Apple was using the 35W CPUs even when the 25W counterparts were available. I?d wager it?s still the same. If you go to an Apple Store and install Geekbench it will tell you the CPU model.
  • Reply 220 of 225
    maratusmaratus Posts: 38member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acerbas View Post

"As for pointing to our mental failures with scorn or dismay, we might as well profess disappointment with the mechanics of gravity or the laws of thermodynamics. In other words, the degree of disillusionment we feel in response to any particular human behavior is the precise measure of our ignorance of its evolutionary and genetic origins."

-- Reg Morrison, The Spirit in the Gene

Apple uses P8400 and P8800 in 13" MBP