Apple backtracks on Safari 4.0 tabs on top, ZFS

Comments

• Reply 141 of 173
    I tried tabs on top for a few days. I drag the window quite often and didn't like the delay in finding a place for my cursor to drag. With the tabs back down the below, dragging the window returns back to effortless and intuitive (for me).
  • Reply 142 of 173
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALthemal View Post

I really loved the tabs on top, it made perfect sense. I can have up to 10 tabs open at the same and the top version made it much faster in terms of workflow. I can only hope that someone at Apple is reading this thread and make it an option in preferences.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Tabs on top was alright. At least leave it in there as an option.

And I can understand the reasons for slow ZFS adoption. Fair enough.

Totally agree, Apple please give it back as an option.
  • Reply 143 of 173
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fmaxwell View Post

Yes, it really does, provided that you intelligently upgrade your drive pool -- something made more attractive by falling drive prices.

I know far more about it than you do. So do many other people. So perhaps you should back off rather than paraphrasing stuff you read on a blog.

And Time Machine does not? Please! When terabyte hard drives can be had for $80, most of us are not too concerned.

Yes. I have a Mac Pro with 4.3TB of storage. You worry about your systems and I'll take care of mine.

Did you know that I have 8 Xeon CPU cores running at 2.8ghz -- so I don't care? Do you know that others are much more concerned with data integrity rather than speed? Frankly, the average modern Mac CPU spends most of its time twiddling its thumbs now.

Did you know that I have 16GB of ECC RAM -- so I don't care? Again, many of us are fully aware of the requirements and overhead and

Then that does it. To hell with data integrity, fault tolerance, and the ability to expand a storage pool. Seriously, though, that's a weak criticism now, given the expansion of average file sizes coupled with the plummeting price of storage.

I've got four SATA bays in my Mac Pro. I don't find myself opening the cabinet and yanking out drives very frequently.

That you do not recognize the seriousness of the loss of ZFS and the real-world benefits that so many would have realized, is a poor reflection on you -- not on the people you're addressing so condescendingly.

Agreed.

Who the hell wants ZFS on a laptop when it's designed for Servers and Workstations?

I'd love to have pools of drive space on my servers to then use my laptop to remotely access and get at my work while I keep my laptop lean.
  • Reply 144 of 173
    exscapeexscape Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foljs View Post

It's incredible, but 100% of the comments in this threads are from people that know almost nothing about ZFS, or have only causally used it in some system. Most of them drool over "features" advertised by clueless journalists that know nothing about the actual implementation.

For example:

1) Do you know that ZFS (especially snapshots) CONSUMES DISK SPACE LIKE CRAZY?

With over 50% of Mac users on laptops (with only one drive and maybe an external hd), can you really afford to have a hd hungry filesystem?

2) Do you know that ZFS is pretty CPU intensive?

3) Do you know that ZFS needs *A LOT OF MEMORY* and can crash when it runs out?

4) ZFS is expensive for small files.

5) Most of the benefits with pools, unified storage et al means you have to KEEP ALL THE POOL DRIVES connected to use the filesystem, not just plug it when you want it.

http://drewthaler.blogspot.com/2007/...ter-redux.html

What the fuck? First off, I take the first paragraph as a huge insult, having used it for quite a while and, even if in small parts, have helped debug it in FreeBSD. I've read white papers, presentations, set up several types of pools, read kernel code, etc etc. I'm don't know "almost nothing" about ZFS. Do YOU even know what the SPA and DMU layers do?

1) No, I didn't, actually! Unless you delete files like crazy, they don't consume disk space like crazy, since they share all the blocks with the original filesystem until changes occur.

Did YOU know that you can *remove* snapshots if they get too big? It's true!

2) No, not that either. Don't use compression and it's not very CPU intensive at all, at least not when using the default fletcher2 checksum algorithm. Switch to SHA256 and you have only yourself to blame.

3) Again, no. This is mostly/only true on FreeBSD, and you can easily tweak your way around it (and then again, it's mostly/completely solved now on >2GB RAM systems - I'm sure Apple are competent enough to auto-tweak it for systems with less RAM than that).

4) With variable block and stripe sizes? Source, please.

5) No shit, sherlock. How does this differ from other RAID0/RAID5/RAID6 or even JBOD solutions? Use one pool per disk if you for some wacky reason remove them on a regular basis. Or use RAIDZ2 and live with the fact that you've got a semi-degraded array now an then.

Please don't go to personal attacks when YOU are obviously the one with no clue.
  • Reply 145 of 173
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Agreed.

Who the hell wants ZFS on a laptop when it's designed for Servers and Workstations?

I'd love to have pools of drive space on my servers to then use my laptop to remotely access and get at my work while I keep my laptop lean.

You are putting words in his mouth. he didn't say "Who the hell wants ZFS on a laptop?" etc.

And in fact lots of people might.
  • Reply 146 of 173
    nite41nite41 Posts: 41member
    Things I like about Safari 4:

-> Finally out of Beta (I was beginning to think whether the Google Beta bug had caught on with Apple)

-> Looks more polished, more professional (if I may say that)

-> Tabs can be dragged around

->The new automatically appearing/disappearing loading indicator

-> Faster

Things I do not like about Safari 4:

-> Takes longer to start than the Beat version (but still quicker than Firefox 3.5 Preview)

-> I want the tabs on top (had gotten used to it in the Beta version)

-> Lacks the glossy/shiny look of Beta version (the final version looks more like 'matte')

-> I can see shadows of the stuff added in the Bookmarks Bar

Things I would love to see in future Safari:

-> No tab bar! Instead, do something like this: Designate a special area or a special button or a special key that can be used to view all open tabs. Something like the Top Sites feature. But it should be a translucent 'floating' Top Sites kinda thing. Once we click on the tab we want to view, the floating thing disappears.

-> Skins please! Or at least themes. Sometimes, my eyes get bored of the grey world!
  • Reply 147 of 173
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kevwood View Post

Just launched safari and noticed they'd moved the tabs again. Backwards step IMO. I preferred the 'tabs up top', maybe I was in the minority? How about just giving us the option to choose!

I liked the idea of tabs on top but in practice whenever I tried to move a tab I always forgot to drag the top-right corner of the tab and so ended up moving the whole window, for this reason I didn't find the experience intuitive. It's a shame to lose the space but I find it easier to use the tabs on the bottom.

I am really glad that you can finally add sites to your top sites and they've got rid of that horrid blue highlight. Much improved from the Beta.
  • Reply 148 of 173
    Sometimes, Apple drops an advertised feature when it is discovered that it simply isn't ready for mainstream users yet, as was the case with Time Machine backups to AirPort.
    And if you believe that one, I've got a bridge to sell you. It's in Alaska, it goes no where, and it doesn't exist. Apple pulled Time Machine backups to AirPort because it realized it, only in retrospect, that it had a viable new product and revenue stream. In short, they ripped off all those people who purchased upgraded Airport Extremes in anticipation of that particular advertised feature being included in Leopard, only to turn around and try to charge them double for a Time Capsule eight months later. It's one of the sleaziest things Apple has ever done. Apple claims that AirPort backup is still possible, by using Finder mounted Air Disks, but that "feature" can't be automated, defeating one of the primary points of Time Machine, and it is still sufficiently unstable as to be classifiable as a fools errand to try to implement.
  • Reply 149 of 173
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nautilus. View Post

Re: tabs on top

Maybe Apple didn't want to look like it was copying Google Chrome, and also because it didn't quite fit in with the overall UI (no other program uses it).

It looks like how Opera did it long before there was a Google Chrome. That's one reason why I didn't use Opera, I didn't like how the tabs were done. The user interface can be rearranged, it was too irritating and time consuming to do it.
  • Reply 150 of 173
    As for the question of why would anyone need ZFS on a laptop -- since they only have a single disk -- one might ask a better question... Why, at this point in the game, are laptop still operating with only a single disk? Laptops are mobile and therefore more subject to stress and abuse -- and therefore more likely to fail -- all reasons for storage redundancy. Certainly in small, low-end laptops, space and battery life are issues, but in professional products, especially large ones like the 17-inch MacBook Pro, why aren't their two drives that can either be used separately, or as a RAID system? Traveling professionals would have use for this. Business executives would have use for this. And with battery changes now approaching 7-hours, even average people could afford to run two disks has a simple way of ensuring data integrity. Replace those two disks with two solid state drives and the system becomes even more stable and more energy efficient.

The question isn't why do we need ZFS on a laptop; the question should be why don't we need ZFS on a laptop yet?
  • Reply 151 of 173
    then they would have never "tried" it in the first place I don't think.
  • Reply 152 of 173
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheSnarkmeister View Post

As for the question of why would anyone need ZFS on a laptop -- since they only have a single disk -- one might ask a better question... Why, at this point in the game, are laptop still operating with only a single disk? Laptops are mobile and therefore more subject to stress and abuse -- and therefore more likely to fail -- all reasons for storage redundancy. Certainly in small, low-end laptops, space and battery life are issues, but in professional products, especially large ones like the 17-inch MacBook Pro, why aren't their two drives that can either be used separately, or as a RAID system? Traveling professionals would have use for this. Business executives would have use for this. And with battery changes now approaching 7-hours, even average people could afford to run two disks has a simple way of ensuring data integrity. Replace those two disks with two solid state drives and the system becomes even more stable and more energy efficient.

The question isn't why do we need ZFS on a laptop; the question should be why don't we need ZFS on a laptop yet?

I've had several mobile computers and not one had a drive failure that caught me off guard. But if that's a major concern for some and I won't dispute that it is, then two drives in a Raid configuration has been available for a long time. It's not like ZFS is going to finally enable that feature. It's far more likely that you'll have your laptop stolen than you lose data generated since your last backup.

I can only assume ZFS is not ready for prime time on OS X and there could be a whole host of reasons for that. Let's remember, it has to be implemented in a far more user-friendly and fool-proof fashion than the average Solaris user might require. It's great if ZFS can provide greater data integrity but if there's anything half-baked about it on OS X then it could achieve just the opposite for some unlucky adopters.
  • Reply 153 of 173
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WorldNet View Post

Apple was so upside-down in their Safari 4 priorities that they forgot to keep the Reload/Stop Loading button (those idjits!).

NEVER take away a feature that has been there for the users to get used to.

Man, get a f' life. The Button is there. Are you blind?

You would have had a hell of a time when the automatic transmissions came out.

By the way, I find it faster just to type the command-r than using the mouse.
  • Reply 154 of 173
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheSnarkmeister View Post

I don't understand why ZFS and personal computers are being conflated.

Article summary:

"while all mention of full ZFS support in Snow Leopard Server has been scrubbed."

Article:

", there's no desperate, impending need to replace HFS+ nor any likelihood that ZFS would really offer consumers, who make up the vast majority Apple's target market, any tangible benefits".

True, but how often does a commercial server OS get installed on a consumer computer? It wasn't going to be put into the standard edition of OS X any time soon that I recall, that was kind of a throwaway line.

As to consumer systems, a daily or weekly backup is probably plenty, though I think being able to wind back a file change might be good, it seems like it should be possible with a single drive computer, without having to go back home to the backup drive.
  • Reply 155 of 173
    exscapeexscape Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

True, but how often does a commercial server OS get installed on a consumer computer? It wasn't going to be put into the standard edition of OS X any time soon that I recall, that was kind of a throwaway line.

It sure seemed as if Apple's (Z)FS devs thought it would remain in the client version:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermai...ne/000663.html
  • Reply 156 of 173
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    I think the reason that moving the tabs is getting such a backlash is because it was a feature that was actually released to the public, people used it and some really liked it, now it is being taken away after having the feature. If apple isn't sure if they are going to keep a feature, they shouldn't release it in a public beta, and should instead keep it to more limited releases.

I wish I had known about this sooner, I wouldn't have "upgraded".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by foljs View Post

<b>Taking away the Safari tabs on top is a huge loss to many consumers.</b>

Reallly? How?

I don't know if anyone here actually said "huge", but I'm not happy about losing the screen real estate. That is a concern to me regardless of how big my monitor is.

Glad I could answer your question.
  • Reply 157 of 173
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eluard View Post

You are putting words in his mouth. he didn't say "Who the hell wants ZFS on a laptop?" etc.

And in fact lots of people might.

I wasn't responding to you.

Laptops with ZFS with their form factor is asinine unless someone comes up with a 1TB quarter size SSD and then decides to put them in a chipcard of 4 that can be connected via some mini pci express internal slot.

Having pools for your servers/workstations with SSL/SSH/ remote connection to mount those volumes and thus do your work over Wifi, ethernet via the laptop where all the work remains securely on the server/workstation seems to be the most rational approach for ZFS on OS X.

If and when laptops become portable pool units you wouldn't expect Apple to dump a bunch of resources into thinking in such terms.
  • Reply 158 of 173
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    One thing that's worth keeping in mind...

The path to interface hell is paved with optional features.

Think about it... The worst programs that you've ever used are probably feature rich and infinitely configurable. Not that configuration is bad. But rather making everything configurable is basically giving up on designing an optimal interface. Can't come up with something that works well? Just make it configurable instead.

This leads to splintering of the user base. No longer is it possible to sit down at any machine and be at home. It also leads to a maintenance nightmare. Tons more code to support and each configuration interacts with every other configuration differently. This is part of the problem that MS has in improving their software. Every program is used in so many different ways that development and debugging is much more difficult.

Yes, the path to interface hell is paved with optional features. The real solution is to do the work up front. Give the users an optimal interface and it won't need so much customization.

One more word and I'll rest my case: Winamp
  • Reply 159 of 173
    Loved tabs on top. That half an inch of website real estate gained was definitely worth moving the mouse an extra millimeter. Tabs on top worked perfectly for me, in fact imho, it was the best innovation in the Beta. We should at least be given the option.

Otherwise bring back tabs on top!
  • Reply 160 of 173
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I guess others have mentioned it too..... well, I'd like to add my voice of displeasure. C'mon Apple, put the reload button back where it belongs. It just doesn't feel right to be pressing Apple-R each time.

They moved it inside the url location field for some reason