Apple releases Safari 4 as "world's fastest browser"

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Put me in the camp of wanting the tabs at the top. I too didn't like them there at first but I quickly got used to it. It's not a deal break but I liked the beta U/I better. Maybe I'm crazy, but the released version seems faster than the beta as well.
  • Reply 62 of 68
    stephenbwstephenbw Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

The very bad: There's no toolbar button for "stop/reload" anymore. I use the reload button all the time (there is still a menu item for it, and a keyboard shortcut, but for me the button is much better). As for the stop button, hopefully web pages won't hang any more, and it won't be needed. One can always hope.

The reload button is the on the right of the URL bar as it was in the beta version and the 'stop' is in the same position but is now anywhere on the 'loading...' button that appears when a page is loading.
  • Reply 63 of 68
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Safari 4 final/beta/whatever is astonishingly fast only the first time the user launches it. As soon as it arranges its whole stuff (cookies, page snapshots, etc) as necessary, it instantly becomes only as fast, as every other browser in the world.
  • Reply 64 of 68
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Just use Chrome, once it is officially out for Mac OS.

Google already controls most of my email...
  • Reply 65 of 68
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    "world's crashiest browser"

FTFY, Apple.

Even since it moved to 4, Safari has been unstable to the point of being unusable for me. Good thing I switched to Firefox a long time ago...

(iMac G4 1Ghz, 10.4)
  • Reply 66 of 68
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster View Post

"world's crashiest browser"

FTFY, Apple.

Even since it moved to 4, Safari has been unstable to the point of being unusable for me. Good thing I switched to Firefox a long time ago...

(iMac G4 1Ghz, 10.4)

Do you have any system hacks installed, like Input Managers (mentioned above by others) or Application Enhancers? It seems like Input Managers are causing most of the problems, from what I hear. It's pretty clear there's something in your system not getting along with Safari 4 - if you can figure it out, give Safari another try - it is FAST.
  • Reply 67 of 68
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Do you have any system hacks installed, like Input Managers (mentioned above by others) or Application Enhancers? It seems like Input Managers are causing most of the problems, from what I hear. It's pretty clear there's something in your system not getting along with Safari 4 - if you can figure it out, give Safari another try - it is FAST.

The only App Enhancer I have is WindowshadeX, I'll try disabling it and see if that's the cause. Thanks!
  • Reply 68 of 68
    mumbo jumbomumbo jumbo Posts: 1,633member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rols View Post

At least 5 times a day I'd click on one of those top tabs and the window would minimize into the taskbar as a 'title bar doubleclick'.

That drove me quite mad.

I hear you

This drove me bonkers