What about very recent iPhone 3G buyers?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I understand the reasoning behind AT&T charging extra for those people not eligible for an upgrade.

However, I bought the 1st generation iPhone in November 2007. A friend of mine then wanted to buy it off of me this spring. I sold it to him and purchased the iPhone 3G at the end of April of this year, which was probably not the smartest thing as rumors of an updated iPhone were swirling.

I'm not sure if they've done so in the past, but is there any word of allowing an eligible upgrade to the iPhone 3G S for those who have recently purchased the iPhone 3G, say, in the past 3 months?

Any replies and/or help in the matter are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    needamacneedamac Posts: 26member
    usually with any carrier they will give you 30days, but seeing that you are well outside of 30 days you would be hard-pressed to find any store that would be willing to let you do that.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Do you suppose Apple would refund to ATT the $300 or $400 that ATT paid on your behalf to cover Apple's true cost of the phone? ... That's the cost ATT is trying to recover over the course of a 2 year contract.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    jbfresh1jbfresh1 Posts: 10member
    I realize why they are charging the premium for those not eligible for the upgrade, which is why I prefaced my question with: "I understand the reasoning behind AT&T charging extra for those people not eligible for an upgrade."

I was just asking if anyone had heard anything about Apple or AT&T having some sort of stipulation for those people who had purchased an iPhone 3G quite recently.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbfresh1 View Post

I realize why they are charging the premium for those not eligible for the upgrade, which is why I prefaced my question with: "I understand the reasoning behind AT&T charging extra for those people not eligible for an upgrade."

I was just asking if anyone had heard anything about Apple or AT&T having some sort of stipulation for those people who had purchased an iPhone 3G quite recently.

I see you are trying to be reasonable, but your question just doesn't make any sense. The cost is too high for either Apple or at&t to give you a meaningful break.

It would be a lot easier to take if there were no subsidies on these phones--then you could change phones whenever you want to pay full price and no one would feel that Apple or at&t owed them anything. But consumers have shown that they are impressed by initial costs more than total costs so the subsidy model continues. Bottom line, somebody has to pay for these phones, and it is not going to be Apple or at&t--it is going to be you...
  • Reply 5 of 10
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Basically all existing customers have been shafted.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

I bought my iPhone the first day that the line was available. I did not upgrade to the iPhone 3G, primarily because my area still not have 3G service. In the two years that I have owned my phone, it has given me nothing but everything that I have asked of it. I can state without evocation that I have not been shafted. None of the many iPhone owners that I know have been shafted.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Basically all existing customers have been bound by the contracts they chose to sign, that's life get over it.

I knowingly signed a two year contract knowing in full the cosequences of breaking it early, I intend to enjoy another year of my existing iPhone with a new OS which is more than I'd get if I'd got any other brand of phone under exactly the same terms and conditions...

...it could be worse I could have got a WinMo phone and been stuck with 6.1 when 6.5 and 7 versions will be released over the two year period of my contract.

In Australia we have an acronym...

HTFU*

Harden the f*ck up.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

I bought my iPhone the first day that the line was available. I did not upgrade to the iPhone 3G, primarily because my area still not have 3G service. In the two years that I have owned my phone, it has given me nothing but everything that I have asked of it. I can state without evocation that I have not been shafted. None of the many iPhone owners that I know have been shafted.

For original iphone customers it's ok as most will be in a position to upgrade but I believe the thread was about RECENT iphone customers. I don't think that includes original iphones.

I am refering to iphone 3G customers. And i am referring to O2 when they allowed original iphone customers to upgrade early for a £200 fee. Sure the original iphone was unsubsidised and the 3G one was subsidised but in doing that they set a prescedent.

Most of those 3G iphone owners will be in a position where their best option will be to just skip the 3GS. By the time they come out of contract for upgrade in Jan 10 they will only have 6 months to go until the next iphone arrives assuming Apple stick to a 12 month refresh.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Basically all existing customers have been bound by the contracts they chose to sign, that's life get over it.

I knowingly signed a two year contract knowing in full the cosequences of breaking it early, I intend to enjoy another year of my existing iPhone with a new OS which is more than I'd get if I'd got any other brand of phone under exactly the same terms and conditions...

...it could be worse I could have got a WinMo phone and been stuck with 6.1 when 6.5 and 7 versions will be released over the two year period of my contract.

In Australia we have an acronym...

HTFU*

Harden the f*ck up.

Read my post twit.

For me im not too bothered. I will just buy it on PAYG and sell my 3G one to offset the price. At least that way by the time I come out of contract I will be ready for a free upgrade.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Read my post twit.

For me im not too bothered. I will just buy it on PAYG and sell my 3G one to offset the price. At least that way by the time I come out of contract I will be ready for a free upgrade.

There is no need to resort to name-calling. For many users--especially those who own iPhone 3Gs--there is no need to upgrade phones either. I gather that you want to upgrade to have prettier toys than the other kids, but that you don't want to pay full price for your toys. Too bad.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Read my post twit.

At least you should get a good price for it, does O2 let you unlock them?

I got mine with Vodafone Australia and officially unlocked it, to do an early upgrade would cost $A69 x 12, I could probably recoup a fair amount of this by selling my old one and throwing in some of the accessories I gathered on the way, I also have an 8GB which I paid $A299 for, it was a special offer from my company who was selling off iPhones that had been exchanged, it was faulty so I sent it to Apple and they replaced it with a new one, to unlock it will cost $A75.

We also have PAYG iPhones over here but not with my network, I'd have to balance up the total cost of buying and unlocking one.

It seems like a lot of trouble to go to so I might just see what the OS 3.0 upgrade has to offer before making a decision.

The new hardware has some enticing features but I might just wait to see what comes next year, especially if 4G networks start appearing.