Apple stores holding fire sales on last-gen Mac notebooks

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
While Apple retail stores this week have been waiting on the first shipments of new Mac notebooks announced Monday, the company has quietly introduced end-of-life pricing on previous generation models to help its shops clear remaining inventory.

"Our Macbook Family has been updated and all current stock of Macbook and Macbook Pros need to be sold," the Mac maker wrote in an email to store representatives, educational institutions, and other partners supplied directly by the company. "All current in store computers are on a first come first serve basis."

Not all Apple retail stores are expected to have each of the earlier models in stock, but generally speaking Apple has cut the price on previous-generation 13-inch MacBooks by $100 to $300, previous-generation MacBook Airs by $400 to $800, and previous-generation MacBook Pros by $400 to $500.

The image below breaks down the price cuts as they were presented to Apple retail stores. A total of nine previous Mac notebook configurations are being offered with end-of-life pricing. Readers who aren't in close proximity to an Apple store or who are looking for even steeper discounts may want to check out our Mac Price Guide, which has been split into two sections: one for current generation Macs and one for previous-generation Macs.

Meanwhile, AppleInsider sponsor ClubMac on Wednesday announced aggressive pricing on Apple's just-announced line of 13-, 15-, and 17-inch MacBook Pros. Combining the online retailer's rebates with special coupons that offer an additional 3% discount has resulted in the best prices we've seen on the new notebooks.

For example, savings on 13-inch models range from $115 to $144, savings on 15-inch models scale from $170 to $270, and savings on the 17-inch model total $321. To see these prices, customers must click through the links in the Mac Price Guide and add the notebooks to their shopping cart. The additional 3% discount should reflect next to the line "Instant Discount(s)" once the items have been added to the cart.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    too bad i just got my unibody low end model in janurary.

will definately consider upping to 15 incher come xmas time though. a slick deal indeed!

but combine these prices with education promotion and holy cow, get a free ipod or sell it on ebay, and take 100 bucks more off wow
  • Reply 2 of 47
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    $1599 for me in the Apple Education store for the cheapest 15" MBP. no reason to buy it when the new one is going to be only $100 more
  • Reply 3 of 47
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    ClubMac is selling the new 15" 2.53GHz MBP for $1528.62.

Apple Store is selling the old 15" 2.4GHZ MBP for $1599.00.

What am I missing here? Why buy the old model when the new one is cheaper? Further, there's no sales tax on online purchases. Why is Apple calling this a fire sale?
  • Reply 4 of 47
    imatimat Posts: 209member
    And plan to keep it until for at least three more years! Luckily most of the features of Snow Leopard will work on my computer.

In the meantime I am updating the innards of it to keep it "in shape" (4 GB RAM and the weekend project called "from 250GB 4700 rpm HDD to a 500GB 7200 rpm HDD (please keep your fingers crossed for me, I never attempted such a "surgery")).

My next Mac will probably be a 15", because it is much easier for travelling, with a Cinema Display for work (as an architect I need some screen real estate).

Sweet deals indeed though. I hope Apple gains market share and traction this year. They deserve it
  • Reply 5 of 47
    No shoes, no shirt, no service.

No pain, no gain.

No woman, no cry.

No FireWire, no deal!
  • Reply 6 of 47
    The Campus store here is selling the 13" unibody MacBooks for $899 and $1099. REALLY tempting! I wasn't really in the market, but......
  • Reply 7 of 47
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    The only Macs without firwire! What an aberration! PROTOTYPES!
  • Reply 8 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMat View Post

And plan to keep it until for at least three more years! Luckily most of the features of Snow Leopard will work on my computer.

In the meantime I am updating the innards of it to keep it "in shape" (4 GB RAM and the weekend project called "from 250GB 4700 rpm HDD to a 500GB 7200 rpm HDD (please keep your fingers crossed for me, I never attempted such a "surgery")).

My next Mac will probably be a 15", because it is much easier for travelling, with a Cinema Display for work (as an architect I need some screen real estate).

Sweet deals indeed though. I hope Apple gains market share and traction this year. They deserve it

I had 2 17 pre-unibodies, and upgraded memory and hard drive. Fear not its easy, just print out a guide, and tape your screws to the correct part of the guide so that you wont forget which was which on replacement. Was your hands and touch your hand to a solid ground before you start, and and occasion during the process.

good luck
  • Reply 9 of 47
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

$1599 for me in the Apple Education store for the cheapest 15" MBP. no reason to buy it when the new one is going to be only $100 more

That depends, it's not so simple. The new $1699 15" doesn't have the 9600 graphics chip, the new one with the better graphics is $1999. The new models don't have the Express Card slot, if you want that in a 15", then now is the best time.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    if they made a 15" one with a slower CPU like in the 13" model or the MBA, i'd consider it

i've read CPU benchmarks since the mid 1990's and a faster CPU never gives you that much performance gains except on a few tasks. I/O is still the biggest bottleneck in a computer.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

The only Macs without firwire! What an aberration! PROTOTYPES!

Somehow or another, I think people who collect Edsels would be a good target market for the FireWire-less MacBooks.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Somehow or another, I think people who collect Edsels would be a good target market for the FireWire-less MacBooks.

The Jay Leno Mac!
  • Reply 13 of 47
    Just saw and played with these 13" babies. I need one now- I am salivating.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    bigdaddypbigdaddyp Posts: 811member
    I bought a 2.4gh unibody from Best Buy 18 days ago. 4 days to late to get price match or return it. I figured we might see a speed bump but god who knew apple would knock the friggin price down so much as well. Damn it.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

I bought a 2.4gh unibody from Best Buy 18 days ago. 4 days to late to get price match or return it. I figured we might see a speed bump but god who knew apple would knock the friggin price down so much as well. Damn it.

Never buy 1 month before an event - ANYTHING!
  • Reply 16 of 47
    digitacdigitac Posts: 2member
    I want to know where they found a MacBook Air with a 2.4Ghz processor and 250GB SSD?? Right there in the article, smack in the middle. Am I missing something?
  • Reply 17 of 47
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Just saw and played with these 13" babies. I need one now- I am salivating.

Uh... why would you be salivating over a laptop with a f'd up glossy screen? i wonder if you actually did see and play with one of them, or if you're making this up!

<picturing teckstud as either a 69 year old granny or a 10 year old kid just *pretending* to be a Mac user all this time>
  • Reply 18 of 47
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Never used FW.

SD cards and USB sticks/stick adapters are plentiful.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

ClubMac is selling the new 15" 2.53GHz MBP for $1528.62.

Apple Store is selling the old 15" 2.4GHZ MBP for $1599.00.

What am I missing here? Why buy the old model when the new one is cheaper? Further, there's no sales tax on online purchases. Why is Apple calling this a fire sale?

ITS A RIPPOFF..The new 15 in MBP 2.63 GHZ HAS 2 GPU CHIPS

FOR THE INCREDIBLE same price you can buy the old model with one gpu chip.

The new models are still cheaper.

THE NEW MODELS ARE STILL CHEAPER.

The only really great deals are to be found at ebay or craiglist kind of web site;s. You can find a slightly used old model half price. Many mac users will dump their recently bought MBP and buy new.

Just saying.

• Reply 20 of 47
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

Uh... why would you be salivating over a laptop with a f'd up glossy screen? i wonder if you actually did see and play with one of them, or if you're making this up!

<picturing teckstud as either a 69 year old granny or a 10 year old kid just *pretending* to be a Mac user all this time>

Aren't nearly all notebook screens these days glossy?