Apple's iPhone 3G S sports 600MHz chip, oleophobic coating

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
One of Apple's wireless partners is confirming Wednesday that the new iPhone 3G S indeed sports an embedded ARM processor that's 50 percent faster that the one employed by its predecessor. Meanwhile, Apple has provided its recommendations for cleaning the the handset, which is finished with an oleophobic coating.

600MHz iPhone 3G S chip

T-Mobile of the Netherlands is amongst the first to publish specifications for the iPhone 3G S's processor and onboard memory, noting that the device includes a "600 MHz-processor" and "256 RAM."

This revelation appears to confirm a detailed forum post from a Chinese insider that was first brought to light by AppleInsider early last month. Specifically, it noted that the new iPhone would look identical to the iPhone 3G but feature a 600MHz chip and 256MB of on-board RAM, compared to the iPhone 3G's 400MHz processor and 128MB of RAM.

As was reported a few weeks later, the 600MHz chip was rumored to be based off ARM's v7 Cortex reference designs, the successor to the ARMv6 chip currently employed in the second-generation iPod touch and iPhone 3G. However, AnandTech is now claiming it's the same ARM Cortex A8 found in the Palm Pre.

It's widely expected to be the last iPhone chip to be based off ARM's broadly available reference designs, with future iPhones expected to include ARM chips with proprietary Apple technology implemented by the company's recently-acquired team of engineers from P.A. Semi.

On Tuesday, AppleInsider confirmed the iPhone 3G S's graphics core to be the PowerVR SGX.

Oleophobic screen coating

Meanwhile, Apple has noted on its website the new iPhone 3G S's screen is finished with a "fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating" not found on the iPhone 3G.

To clean the screen on the 3G S, the company recommends users simply wipe their iPhone’s screen with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove oil left by their hands and face. These cleaning instructions differ somewhat from "soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth" recommended for cleaning the iPhone 3G.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    "Aow- I miss the old coating!"

"I can't type as fast" etc, etc,
  • Reply 2 of 69
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    I made a comment about the screen yesterday! Woo! (yeah, first time I caught something before AI had officially mentioned it).

So the specs of the 3Gs and the Pre CPU/RAM are exactly the same right?
  • Reply 3 of 69
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    A nice addition...

Can't wait for mine to arrive!
  • Reply 4 of 69
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

I made a comment about the screen yesterday! Woo! (yeah, first time I caught something before AI had officially mentioned it).

So the specs of the 3Gs and the Pre CPU/RAM are exactly the same right?

I believe that the Pre has a better GPU - iPhone has SGX 520, Pre has SGX530. Of course the clock speeds could be different, never mind the software/driver optimisation quality.
  • Reply 5 of 69
    rrobrrrobr Posts: 28member
    Oleophobic screen coating. Huh. Does that mean the new iPhone doesn't like margerine?
  • Reply 6 of 69
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

30 seconds after removing it from the box, the screen protector will be applied and it won't make any difference at all.
  • Reply 7 of 69
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rrobr View Post

Oleophobic screen coating. Huh. Does that mean the new iPhone doesn't like margerine?

Just the screen, you should still spread margerine on the water damage indicator and the rest of the case.
  • Reply 8 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

To clean the screen on the 3G S, the company recommends users simply wipe their iPhone?s screen with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove oil left by their hands and face. These cleaning instructions differ somewhat from "soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth" recommended for cleaning the iPhone 3G.

The best thing I've ever used is denim. Yup, the front thigh of my jeans. And if that doesn't work, then huffing on the screen and using denim is the next best thing.
  • Reply 9 of 69
    that my PowerMac (blue & white) G3 only had:

300 MHz,

64 MB of RAM

6 GB hard drive

That's the same amount of space Snow Leopard will remove on install!
  • Reply 10 of 69
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

At least it will feel snappy!
  • Reply 11 of 69
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    It's great that it's oleophobic, but how resistant is it to scratches?
  • Reply 12 of 69
    Anandtech has a great article that details the new CPU / GPU, and says it uses the new Cortex A8, the same CPU that's in the Pre.

http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3579
  • Reply 13 of 69
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    the 3GS' new guts is not just about a faster processor. the entire System On A Chip has been redesigned. here is a great explanation of the details from a guy who really knows his stuff:

http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3579

Prince, take note!

[good one, DRayMIS, you are two minutes faster}
  • Reply 14 of 69
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    ARM was used in the Newton, was it not? I seem to recall that the series was "Strong ARM" processor. I always liked that clever moniker!
  • Reply 15 of 69
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

ARM was used in the Newton, was it not? I seem to recall that the series was "Strong ARM" processor. I always liked that clever moniker!

A big "meh" on the screen coating. I always protect my touch screen devices with a screen protector anyway. Already have a set of three coming from Hong Kong that I ordered on eBay for my 3G S
  • Reply 16 of 69
    daseindasein Posts: 139member
    Quote:

One of Apple's wireless partners is confirming Wednesday that the new iPhone 3G S indeed sports an embedded ARM processor that's 50 percent faster that the one employed by its predecessor. Meanwhile, Apple has provided its recommendations for cleaning the the handset, which is finished with an oleophobic coating.

600MHz iPhone 3G S chip

I thought the 3G had the 620 MHz ARM chip, albeit clocked down. As for RAM, doesn't it also have 128MB, even though roughly half of that is system dedicated?
  • Reply 17 of 69
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Yes, the newton had a StrongARM processor. Original Newton Arm 610 at 20 MHz. Newton 2100 StrongARM 162 MHz.

The new iPhone at 600 MHz, that is so 2001! LOL.

I never use a screen protector on my iPhone or iPod. I don't want to ruin the clarity of the screen. I take care of my electronic devices. My iPhone and iPod don't have a scratch on them.

Oleophobic? Does that mean it is afraid of Oleos?
  • Reply 18 of 69
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Personally, I think Apple has the right idea by not evening publishing CPU, GPU and ram specs.

It's about how the phone performs, how the UI feels, what the entire user experience is. If those things are very satisfactory to me, why should a I care about a string of numbers on some tech site somewhere? And by "me", I mean the average consumer, not tech enthusiasts.

I have no doubt that there will be people claiming that this or that phone is "better" because it has a faster processor or GPU. In fact, I can guarantee there will be the usual "LOL crappy old iPhone with its old hardware LOL" stuff bandied about, because spec list dick measuring is such a popular hobby.

But normal users don't care about that, they care how their hand held computer actually works. If there are annoying pauses and glitches they care; once the system hardware is fast enough to run the UI seamlessly and give you fast app switching, then it's just a great experience and further advances are about supporting more sophisticated apps.
  • Reply 19 of 69
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rrobr View Post

Isn't that an iHate crime?
  • Reply 20 of 69
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:

This revelation appears to confirm a detailed forum post from a Chinese insider that was first brought to light by AppleInsider early last month. Specifically, it noted that the new iPhone would look identical to the iPhone 3G but feature a 600MHz chip and 256MB of on-board RAM, compared to the iPhone 3G's 400MHz processor and 128MB of RAM.

No way.

Now everyone can access the results of real tests of real iPhone 3G[S].

They prove "chinese rumor" was all bullshit.