Unibody 13 inch Macbook Pro- Can you upgrade the hardrive?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just recently put a 500gb hard drive in my regular macbook. I am thinking of buying a new unibody macbook and to save a little cash just swap out the hard drives. Is this possible with the unibody?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Yes it is. There are plenty of "how to.." around the net. Its not to much harder than a standard notebook. Infact some would say its easier since once you crack it in half everything is right there.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    kestralkestral Posts: 308member
    Just got mine today and installed a 500GB Seagate Momentus 7200 SATA drive, so the answer is yes.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    There's a support document on Apple's site detailing how to replace the hard drive. The bottom-plate screws have to be reinstalled in a particular order (think of torquing down the head on an internal combustion engine).
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

There's a support document on Apple's site detailing how to replace the hard drive. The bottom-plate screws have to be reinstalled in a particular order (think of torquing down the head on an internal combustion engine).

I thought replacing the harddrive would void your warranty.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

I thought replacing the harddrive would void your warranty.

Only if you break something while replacing the HDD.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Dispite what PC users would have you believe not only is it possible to upgrade a mac, in many cases they are designed to be, ala the white macbook and old 13" unibody.