Three turn-by-turn GPS solution providers plan iPhone offerings

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A trio of turn-by-turn GPS navigation system makers said this week they plan to introduce solutions for the iPhone later this year, but Olathe-based Garmin isn't among them, choosing instead to take on the iPhone head-on with its own hybrid cellphone/navigator solution.

Garmin out

"At this time, we have no plans to offer an iPhone application given our strategic smartphone relationship with ASUS to produce the Garmin-Asus nüvifone," Garmin spokesperson Jessica Myers told AppleInsider earlier this week.

Introduced as a prototype in January of 2008, the Nüvifone is a 3G-enabled touchscreen-based mobile phone that will morph into a turn-by-turn GPS navigator with hands-free calling once snapped into a vehicle mount.

Although Garmin and its partner Asus had initially anticipated availability of the Nüvifone for last fall, plans for the device, which will also sport a build-in camera, appear to have been delayed till the third quarter of this year at the earliest.

TomTom in

Garmin's move to take on the iPhone with a similar device essentially opened the door for its primary competitor TomTom to embark on an exclusive working relationship with Apple to deliver the first dedicated in-car navigation solution for iPhone: a TomTom navigation app combined with a car kit designed specifically for the iPhone.

Apple is focusing on development of the app itself, which will include IQ Routes and latest maps from Tele Atlas when its made available on the App Store following the release of iPhone Software 3.0 a bit later this month.

For its part, TomTom is putting the finishing touches on the car kit accessory, which enhances the iPhone's GPS signal through its dock connector thanks to third-party accessory support built into the iPhone SDK 3.0. The kit also charges the iPhone, includes a built-in loud speaker for spoken turn-by-turn directions, and comes equipped with a microphone for hands-free calling.

While previewing the solution at WWDC on Monday, TomTom?s co-founder and CTO Peter-Frans Pauwels said the kit will include a built-in FM transmitter for playing your iPhone's music library over your car stereo as well.

TomTom says details regarding pricing and availability for both the application and the TomTom car kit for iPhone will be made available in advance of the products? launch later this summer. In the meantime, the company has published the following teaser video to YouTube showing the navigation software interface and its car mount kit.

Navigon also in

Jumping on the heels of TomTom's announcement was German GPS device maker Navigon, which said Tuesday that iPhone users will be able to "kit out their smartphones" with its own navigation software from App Stores across the globe later this month.

"With the new OS 3.0 operating system, Apple has made the use of navigation software on the iPhone possible, and NAVIGON has quickly managed to adapt the MobileNavigator software to the new firmware," said Navigon chief executive Egon Minar. "The iPhone can now be transformed into a versatile, fully functional navigator."

The software will reportedly include functions such as Reality View Pro, Real Roadsign Pro, Lane Assistant Pro, Speed Assistant, Day & Night Mode, amongst others, as well as the option of displaying points of interest (POIs) along the route.

"If you turn the iPhone 90 degrees, then the display switches automatically from portrait to landscape view," Minar added. "As well as this automatic display adjustment, and the intelligent address entry, there is also the option of navigating directly to an address from saved contacts. If navigation is interrupted by a telephone call then navigation is resumed automatically after the call has ended."

While pricing for Navigon's solution is similarly undetermined, Minar noted that his company plans to also release a LITE version for free, with no active route guidance, but with map material and the possibility to display POIs in the vicinity.

TeleNav to follow

Also expected to join the pack of turn-by-turn GPS solution providers for the iPhone is Sunnyvale, Calif.-based TeleNav. AppleInsider believes the company has been mapping out its own software solution for the iPhone for roughly a year now. TeleNav currently partners with several wireless providers including AT&T, who markets the software on several of its handsets under the "AT&T Navigator" brand with monthly subscription fees fetching approximately $10. TeleNav may be planning a similar partnership with AT&T for its iPhone solution.

Asked for an update on the matter Tuesday, TeleNav spokesperson MaryBeth Lowell pointed to this blog post or hers and said she "unfortunately can?t share anything" further at this time.

"[I]t?s really great to see that there is such demand for our service and we feel humbled by the onslaught of requests. We appreciate all of your ongoing support," she wrote. "We don?t have an official announcement today regarding the iPhone but will soon. So we ask that you keep following our news here or on Twitter as we will keep you updated on iPhone news that way."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple is focusing on development of the app itself, which will include IQ Routes and latest maps from Tele Atlas when its made available on the App Store following the release of iPhone Software 3.0 a bit later this month.

Wow! That's what's called "juicy news". God, we've been waiting so long.
  • Reply 2 of 56
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"At this time, we have no plans to offer an iPhone application given our strategic smartphone relationship with ASUS to produce the Garmin-Asus nüvifone,"

"At this time, we have no plans to stay in business"

Edit: Looks like Garmin isn't totally clueless, they're developing an Android phone with ASUS. (Will this be the nuviphone that actually ships?)
  • Reply 3 of 56
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    Looks like Garmin put its eggs in a teeny weeny basket. That's really an absurd alliance on their part.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

Wichita-based Garmin isn't among them, choosing instead to take on the iPhone head-on with its own hybrid cellphone/navigator solution.

Garmin sucks anyway. Short it.

TomTom is the cherry on the GPS sundae. Long it.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I think Garmin's making a terrible mistake. Introducing yet another touch phone into a crowded market, and expecting your GPS solution to be the differentiator doesn't make any sense, when people can download GPS programs for the phones they're familiar with.

It means leaving App Store money on the table on the gamble that consumers will get excited about a "Nüvifone."

Now, maybe they'll prove me wrong, and the Asus partnership will make a great phone. But when capable handsets that can run your software are proliferating, why reinvent that wheel?

Maybe they're going for the "whole widget" thing, but Garmin has had a pretty narrow focus to be jumping into the general computing pool, and make no mistake: nobody in their right mind would buy a smart phone just because it has great Garmin GPS integration, unless it's a pretty kick ass phone in general.

Google, Garmin...... is every vendor that has internet centric wares to peddle going to make their own phone?
  • Reply 6 of 56
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    I want to stay away from monthly fees to maintain the usability from the app. I'd be fine with paying for updates and whatnot.
  • Reply 7 of 56
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

I want to stay away from monthly fees to maintain the usability from the app. I'd be fine with paying for updates and whatnot.

Couldn't agree more. 10 bucks per month = forgeddaboudit
  • Reply 8 of 56
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    LOL, Garmin releasing its software on a phone that 3 people will buy.

Good bye Garmin, wasn't nice meeting ya.
  • Reply 9 of 56
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Pretty soon there will be no point in buying a GPS navigation-only unit to stick into your windshield.
  • Reply 10 of 56
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I take it Garmin will be withdrawing their Symbian and WinMlo versions from the market then.

I guess I won't be updating my wife's Navman anytime soon, I'll be comparing the cost of updating the the maps ($A189) to the iPhone offerings.

Goodbye Garmin it was nice using you.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    nace33nace33 Posts: 94member
    I won't be buying any software that requires a monthly subscription. If you want more money, make it an in app purchase program where we can actually buy more components for the software. Otherwise, I'll take my $$$ elsewhere thank you very much!
  • Reply 12 of 56
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Garmin is on the wrong side of history.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    TomTom charges about $150 for its other smart phone software. Map subscrptions are $40 per year, or $80 per update. That would be $190 first year.

The $10 a month option from Telenav might be attractive to some people.
  • Reply 14 of 56
    mr.scottmr.scott Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think Garmin's making a terrible mistake. Introducing yet another touch phone into a crowded market, and expecting your GPS solution to be the differentiator doesn't make any sense, when people can download GPS programs for the phones they're familiar with.

It means leaving App Store money on the table on the gamble that consumers will get excited about a "Nüvifone."

Now, maybe they'll prove me wrong, and the Asus partnership will make a great phone. But when capable handsets that can run your software are proliferating, why reinvent that wheel?

Maybe they're going for the "whole widget" thing, but Garmin has had a pretty narrow focus to be jumping into the general computing pool, and make no mistake: nobody in their right mind would buy a smart phone just because it has great Garmin GPS integration, unless it's a pretty kick ass phone in general.

Google, Garmin...... is every vendor that has internet centric wares to peddle going to make their own phone?

I agree... I have a Garmin GPS and can say it's one of the easiest to use of the GPS units out there. Makes no since to not be part of this market. I guess their "Thinking Different" is not like Apples and like you said, why set up shop for a phone that in all probability will not make it with the likes of Apple, RIM and the others. Now which of the companies providing this service is the right one to go with? Looks like the folks in Germany have a pretty cool idea and interface and even Tom Tom looks cool but the folks out in CA not giving any info on their software...what up with that?
  • Reply 15 of 56
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    BREAKING NEWS!

Jon Rubenstein to be Palm CEO July 1st!

back to topic...
  • Reply 16 of 56
    I hope you don't have to have their little adapter and power supply to use this... This would be useful while biking or taking the bus or even walking. if it needs 12V from a car to work....
  • Reply 17 of 56
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I really like that Navigon 3D view!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

TomTom charges about $150 for its other smart phone software. Map subscrptions are $40 per year, or $80 per update. That would be $190 first year.

Never having owned a TomTom, I have a question: you can just NOT update your maps, can't you? Things don't change that often. So if I wished, I could buy an $80 update after 3 years, say? (Not that $40/year sounds that bad anyway.)
  • Reply 18 of 56
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

They might be wise to change their pricing structure for the iPhone. Most successful apps are the ones people don't mind dropping $5-$10 on. Once prices reach the $100 mark, you're better off buying a standalone.
  • Reply 19 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

Pretty soon there will be no point in buying a GPS navigation-only unit to stick into your windshield.

That is kind of the point. There are all kinds of niche electronic products that the iPhone can turn into...the markets for which can be large or small...so auto GPS...then hiking/biking GPS....golf GPS rangefinder...flip-type video camera...medical record display for physicians....and so forth.
  • Reply 20 of 56
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

"At this time, we have no plans to stay in business"

Or?

?At this time, our lawyers are unable to find a loophole to get us out of a contract we foolishly signed with Asus."