Apple stores to open 8 a.m., AT&T stores 7 a.m. for iPhone 3G S

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has let fans know that its stores around the world will open up to two hours early to accommodate the iPhone 3G S' launch, while those eager to buy their phones at AT&T could receive theirs an hour earlier.

The iPhone maker has quietly clarified its launch plans and says that, whenever possible, Apple stores worldwide will open at 8 a.m. on June 19th in their respective time zones to help accommodate the initial rush of customers for the faster, video-capable device.

Apple's approach mirrors that it took for last year's iPhone 3G launch, when long lines formed outside of many stores hours before they opened and could potentially have interfered with other shoppers.

AT&T is also opening its doors at the same time in the US, but is offering an added incentive to early adopters. Those who pre-order an iPhone 3G S directly from one of its retail stores will have the option of walking into the store at 7 a.m and picking up theirs ahead of the general public; two queues will exist outside of each store until the wider 8 a.m. release. The cellular carrier cautions that this isn't a raincheck and that those who pre-order will have to be in line if they expect a new iPhone on launch day.

The Friday release is already expected to mark Apple's third iPhone release to be accompanied by a high-profile retail debut. Unlike last year, however, Apple and AT&T are expected to avoid the activation server outages that kept iPhone 3G customers waiting for hours, as buyers can pre-order the iPhone 3G S online and have it shipped in sync with the retail release.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    aybaraaybara Posts: 45member
    I won't be in line. I do not qualify for the full discount upgrade, and don't plan on spending $500 for the 32GB iPhone.

And since my renewal to qualify for the FULL discount upgrade arrives in March 2010. I'm just going to wait until WWDC next year and the most likely iPhone 4G.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aybara View Post

I won't be in line. I do not qualify for the full discount upgrade, and don't plan on spending $500 for the 32GB iPhone.

And since my renewal to qualify for the FULL discount upgrade arrives in March 2010. I'm just going to wait until WWDC next year and the most likely iPhone 4G.

Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 47
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    I may do the fanboi thing for the first time ever, and go into a store on the opening morning... I qualify for an immediate upgrade. (yay)

Anyone know if UK O2 stores are opening early on the Friday?
  • Reply 4 of 47
    bluevoidbluevoid Posts: 72member
    What about Best Buy? Had a gift card burning a hole in my wallet since Xmas.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Quote:

Ditto. Or I might try and sell my 16GB iPhone 3G, but unless I get a decent amount for it, I'll probably just stick with what I have.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    Yea, you can "get" an iPhone an hour earlier at ATT stores....if you arrive at 2am and are one of the first 10 people in line because that is all they will have on hand. Everyone else will get a "voucher" they can pick one up with "soon". Both for my 2G and my wifes 3g we went to a large ATT store several hours before they opened and didnt get one, but drove to the Apple store an hour away and got one on opening day.

Fool me twice shame on you ATT...the point is...cant get fooled again. <heh heh>
  • Reply 7 of 47
    aduzikaduzik Posts: 94member
    That guy in the video has crazy eyes. *head tilt*
  • Reply 8 of 47
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    The only time I did the 'fanboi wait in line' routine is when I just so happened to need a computer and Apple emailed me a 10% discount notice a few days before a OS release.

I met Phil S. a hour before release time and he showed me Expose. Wow! I ran home and drained my bank account..as Apple wasn't accepting checks back then.

So I lugged home $6000 worth of Apple gear (to play 3D games), saving $600 and thought I got a great deal. Too much machine for my needs and now it's gone, gone gone as Apple switched to Intel.

Impulsive sales suck and Apple is good at it, Phil is a genius at it.

I'll stick with my cheap phone that only costs me $10 a month. I got wifi and a computer, does a lot.

I'll take the iPhone apps on my MBP though...
  • Reply 9 of 47
    I am one of the lucky ones. I dont have an iphone (first gen ipod touch) and my contract is up in august. I was eligible for the 16gig 3gs for $199 so i preordered one and it should be at my house on the 19th .

No waiting in line for me.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    Quote:

I'm just going to wait until WWDC next year and the most likely iPhone 4G.

That's a good question, Apple named the new iPhone the 3Gs "s for speed".

In my experience, when a company adds a little bit to a existing product name, like Apple did, it's a intermediate product.

Like 'Edge Plus" for example or 2.5G.

So if this version of the iPhone is still 3G and AT&T is rolling out 4G, where does that leave someone in a year with a 2 year contract?

A powerful phone, but can't take advantage of 4G networks to work to it's full potential? Video doesn't work well etc?

So? Spend an additional $200 to cancel the present contract for the iPhone 3Gs and get the iPhone 4G?

It's like AT&T and Apple are not in sych with each other.

Tethering for example, AT&T makes big money with their wifi connect cards, why should they allow that on iPhones?

Wifi connect cards incur a fee of $60 a month and a tiny 5GB per month download limit.

blah...
  • Reply 11 of 47
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    AT&T is offering free overnight shipping, so I decided to go that route. Camping out would've been fun, though.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

That's a good question, Apple named the new iPhone the 3Gs "s for speed".

In my experience, when a company adds a little bit to a existing product name, like Apple did, it's a intermediate product.

Like 'Edge Plus" for example or 2.5G.

So if this version of the iPhone is still 3G and AT&T is rolling out 4G, where does that leave someone in a year with a 2 year contract?

A powerful phone, but can't take advantage of 4G networks to work to it's full potential? Video doesn't work well etc?

So? Spend an additional $200 to cancel the present contract for the iPhone 3Gs and get the iPhone 4G?

It's like AT&T and Apple are not in sych with each other.

Tethering for example, AT&T makes big money with their wifi connect cards, why should they allow that on iPhones?

Wifi connect cards incur a fee of $60 a month and a tiny 5GB per month download limit.

blah...

I don't think you're really going to have to worry about missing out on AT&T's extensive 4G network by this time next year......

And it's not like they're going to throw a switch and turn off their 3G network. If the iPhone 3G S is a good phone next week and does what you want, it will still do those things in a year.

I mean, when you buy a laptop do you brood about how they're going to make newer ones that go faster and refuse to let you trade it in after a year for credit?
  • Reply 13 of 47
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    This could be my first Apple wait in line. Could be. I want my phone on Friday. First iPhone.

Anyone ever had problems porting a number? What do I need to bring with me?
  • Reply 14 of 47
    When will ATT decide to publish them? The day before 3GS starts?
  • Reply 15 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

This could be my first Apple wait in line. Could be. I want my phone on Friday. First iPhone.

Anyone ever had problems porting a number? What do I need to bring with me?

You will need your account number and the person whoever is the primary on the account.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    I'll be camping out the night before. This will be my 3rd time doing so. It's cool that they're offering it in the morning. That means we just have to spend the night on the street instead of the night when it's cold and the day when it's hot in the sun.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

When will ATT decide to publish them? The day before 3GS starts?

That would be early for AT&T. So far, it appears that the rate plans and options are staying the same. AT&T is more reactive and proactive but I can?t believe that even they would not have published rate plan changes a 9 days before launch.
  • Reply 18 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I don't think you're really going to have to worry about missing out on AT&T's extensive 4G network by this time next year......

And it's not like they're going to throw a switch and turn off their 3G network. If the iPhone 3G S is a good phone next week and does what you want, it will still do those things in a year.

I mean, when you buy a laptop do you brood about how they're going to make newer ones that go faster and refuse to let you trade it in after a year for credit?

I'd like to get more than just a mere two years of value from any iPhone (or Mac), and especially not the last year suffering with a outdated standard, and the whole time with a powerful iPhone but handicapped by 3G slowness.

That's what I'm trying to figure, is if ATT is going to roll out 4G within the year, perhaps Apple is going to release a 4G model shortly afterwards.

It's a game of meeting the latest iPhone with the latest network speed.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

You will need your account number and the person whoever is the primary on the account.

Thanks footloose. The primary on the account is my wife and I don't see her making it to the store.

The Apple site says I can preorder and the phone will arrive on the 19th. Anyone think this isn't true? I prefer that to waiting in line if it's a sure thing. Did they arrive on the shipping date last year if you pre-ordered?

If I do order online can I just port the number later from VZW?

Thanks for answering so many questions.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

I'd like to get more than just a mere two years of value from any iPhone (or Mac), and especially not the last year suffering with a outdated standard, and the whole time with a powerful iPhone but handicapped by 3G slowness.

That's what I'm trying to figure, is if ATT is going to roll out 4G within the year, perhaps Apple is going to release a 4G model shortly afterwards.

It's a game of meeting the latest iPhone with the latest network speed.

You won't get any less value from the iPhone if you buy a new one. You'll be gaining OS updates and features, and AT&T's network will speed up and offer more coverage than it currently does. You lose nothing.

As Addabox stated, when 4G goes live 3G is still there. 2G is still there and with more coverage than 3G for all US carriers.

But there is a lot of 3G growth left before AT&T will pop up its first 4G LTE radio tower. First of all, there are no chips for it right now for small power conscious devices. I have a 3G USB card from AT&T and it only has a 14.4Mbps/2.0Mbps chip. Secondly, AT&T still HSDPA @ 14.4Mbps and HSUPA and Evolved HSPA offering 42Mbps down and 21Mbps up before it reaches its 3G cap. These are 3G and these aren't in use either.

Don't get caught in the LTE hype from Verizon. It's a tactic that won't come to fruition for many years in the capacity 3G is right now.