New screenshot gallery shows more polished Snow Leopard

Comments

• Reply 61 of 137
    nofear1aznofear1az Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I'd like to see something new, something unified, and for Apple to take a step back from the gharish-ness that is Leopard. Something more serious is in order IMO but from recent developments we might have to wait until 10.7.

I hear what you are saying and I agree but I bet you will not see any UI change until OS 11.0. I really would like Apple to update the UI and make it all consistent as well as improve the Finder. But I believe Apple is going to stick it out with this current UI theme until 11.0....

(but here's hoping it's earlier than that)
  • Reply 62 of 137
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esXXI View Post

What on earth. Why are you making silly comments like this if you've no idea how the Finder is actually drawn?

You've been able to do this for many years. Finder > Preferences > Uncheck Hard-disk drives.

Wow thanks, did not know that.
  • Reply 63 of 137
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

Go on then. Say Windows 7 looks better. I challenge you.

I can't believe people are still bitching for having to pay $30 to get a new computer.

What an assinine post.

There's nothing wrong with bitching about aqua assets still in Snow Leopard- especially since they apparently recoded a very large portion of the OS. Aqua scrollbars+buttons look ugly as hell at this point, and clash with everything else in the OS. They need to go, and I'll be appalled if they leave them there for the final version of SL. It takes me a few seconds to replace the scrollbar files to those from itunes, so seriously, how hard could it be for Apple? They already have the assets.

People like you are the most irritating kind. Someone can't criticize a specific aspect of a product, without being called 'bitching', 'ungrateful', etc. Pathetic. The way some of you apologize for Apple at every turn is frightening. We criticize because we want Apple to improve and release the best products they can. I wouldn't be criticizing anything if I didn't give a shit. Its not like asking for 10 year old, system wide assets to be visually updated (especially when updating them is a relatively simple thing to do) is demanding.
  • Reply 64 of 137
    The winter tree wallpaper in the screenshots looks great!

Can't imagine if Snow Leopard released with the same sort of funky/wacky wallpapers in Win7 RC1. 0_0
  • Reply 65 of 137
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nautilus. View Post

The winter tree wallpaper in the screenshots looks great!

Can't imagine if Snow Leopard released with the same sort of funky/wacky wallpapers in Win7 RC1. 0_0

You can download a million wallpapers in all kinds of sizes off the net. Just wander around Interfacelift, for instance.

Does it really matter whether SL includes new wallpapers?
  • Reply 66 of 137
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nofear1az View Post

I hear what you are saying and I agree but I bet you will not see any UI change until OS 11.0. I really would like Apple to update the UI and make it all consistent as well as improve the Finder. But I believe Apple is going to stick it out with this current UI theme until 11.0....

(but here's hoping it's earlier than that)

10.7 - est 2011

10.8 - est 2013

10.9 - est 2015

11.0 - est 2017

You really think there will be no UI changes (significant) in 8 years?
  • Reply 67 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

You people are not very grateful. Read up on Snow Leopard or watch the WWDC keynote. If you have not taken any time to notice what Apple is saying about this upgrade is that it is, for the most part, an under the hood upgrade.

Your efforts are appreciated, but - sadly - misplaced. None of the posters that have presented this stance have ever listened to any other point of view (on the subject). Those that can't see the virtue of real improvement should be left to sleep it off. (IMO)
  • Reply 68 of 137
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lukeskymac View Post

I can't believe people are still bitching for having to pay $30 to get a new computer.

I've got 2 G5's and a 867 G4 Laptop so at the moment that $30 doesn't get me much.

Let me know where I can pick up a few of those $30 new computers to swap my G5's and Laptop.
  • Reply 69 of 137
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

200% faster?

It's like getting two new computers!

in 3d

!!
  • Reply 70 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

10.7 - est 2011

10.8 - est 2013

10.9 - est 2015

11.0 - est 2017

You really think there will be no UI changes (significant) in 8 years?

Oh god; not this again...

That is not how software versioning works:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_...ersion_history
  • Reply 71 of 137
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Why change the UI for every release??

Leopard's UI (as it is now in SL) is just fine. It's very clean, very easy on the eyes, and is characteristic of subtle elegance.

Or would you prefer Windows 7, which looks like a multiple-clown homicide. Colours all over the place, transparency-glass-hell. Looks like it was designed by Flava Flav on a bender.

OK MULTIPLE CHOICE TEST . which one below is not one of the nine gates of hell ??

a >> Windows 7

b >> multiple-clown homicide

c >> transparency-glass-hell.

e >> Flava Flav on a bender
  • Reply 72 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloodstains View Post

What exactly am I supposed to be looking for?
  • Reply 73 of 137
    Here's classic doublespeak from Apple. Quicktime's new "less intrusive" view - look now, putting controllers RIGHT ON TOP OF THE CONTENT is NOT "LESS" intrusive. In fact it obscures the actual content even more! Now I have to put my cursor over top of the movie to see how much I've watched or the timecode or to pause it etc. Of course it fades away and that is OK. Also take close look at the images, the QT title bar actually ALSO intrudes into the movie view, not above/outside the image content. But I never had a problem with the old quicktime play/pause/rr/ff buttons or the time marker playhead etc. If I wanted to see it full screen I use full screen mode and it all goes away including my desktop. But now the controller is SMALLER and therefore LESS ACCURATE.

(My comments based only on screenshots and descriptions not of any actual use).

Maybe there is a Pro mode, or edit mode can be more frame accurate. Or maybe I'll just have to use VLC for everything and hope they keep improving that.

Apple's innovative but I really hate their continual de-professionalizing of everything.
  • Reply 74 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

OK MULTIPLE CHOICE TEST . which one below is not one of the nine gates of hell ??

a >> Windows 7

b >> multiple-clown homicide

c >> transparency-glass-hell.

e >> Flava Flav on a bender

Uhhh... Flava Flav on a bender?

But seriously.... Any pointers on where the info in on the itunes like scroll bars.... what do I type in google?

They left out Desktop Expose from the Beta --- The Horror!!!
  • Reply 75 of 137
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Pretty much my feeling at this point. I thought it was dismaying that the article said that these screen shots were the "most revealing" of what we'll get from Snow Leopard. From this I take it that Snow Leopard is going to be a bit of a snooze. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but personally I'm completely lacking in anticipation of this release.

Well tell us exactly what you want them to do?
  • Reply 76 of 137
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

The scroll bars are the same ugly-as-sin Aqua scroll bars we've had since Cheetah.

I still don't understand why they haven't been changed to match the iTunes scroll bars, which fit in much better with the Snow Leopard interface.

So because it looks ugly for you, and the ones in Itunes looks good to you, it holds true for everyone?
  • Reply 77 of 137
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I can't wait to spend my $29.

Pre-order and it?s only $10.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Insulting someone by calling them a "girl"? Are you five years old?

Insulting someone by calling them a ?5 year old?? Are you a girl?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

What exactly am I supposed to be looking for?

I don?t think he read your post well. I think he assumed the ?11? was a reference to it being impossible to offer a point update that numbered paste 10, hence the Wiki page to Tiger.
  • Reply 78 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuperMacGuy View Post

Here's classic doublespeak from Apple. Quicktime's new "less intrusive" view - look now, putting controllers RIGHT ON TOP OF THE CONTENT is NOT "LESS" intrusive. In fact it obscures the actual content even more! Now I have to put my cursor over top of the movie to see how much I've watched or the timecode or to pause it etc. Of course it fades away and that is OK. Also take close look at the images, the QT title bar actually ALSO intrudes into the movie view, not above/outside the image content. But I never had a problem with the old quicktime play/pause/rr/ff buttons or the time marker playhead etc. If I wanted to see it full screen I use full screen mode and it all goes away including my desktop. But now the controller is SMALLER and therefore LESS ACCURATE.

(My comments based only on screenshots and descriptions not of any actual use).

Maybe there is a Pro mode, or edit mode can be more frame accurate. Or maybe I'll just have to use VLC for everything and hope they keep improving that.

Apple's innovative but I really hate their continual de-professionalizing of everything.

It's not doublespeak. They have their point of view upon the matter and you have yours.
  • Reply 79 of 137
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuperMacGuy View Post

Here's classic doublespeak from Apple. Quicktime's new "less intrusive" view - look now, putting controllers RIGHT ON TOP OF THE CONTENT is NOT "LESS" intrusive. In fact it obscures the actual content even more! Now I have to put my cursor over top of the movie to see how much I've watched or the timecode or to pause it etc. Of course it fades away and that is OK......

Isn't this the way it works right now when watching in full-screen mode?
  • Reply 80 of 137
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloodstains View Post

Not sure what part of what he wrote was wrong.

We get a new OS every 2 or 2.5 years.