New screenshot gallery shows more polished Snow Leopard

Comments

• Reply 81 of 137
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

SN will sport a Marble GUI alla QT X... Mark my words!

I wouldn't be surprised if the QTX UI remains unique. And it's OK to have a unique window/control style IF that appearance serves a useful purpose. In this case, it indicates a different KIND of window. (Whereas the difference between Safari and iTunes is meaningless inconsistency.)
  • Reply 82 of 137
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

Well tell us exactly what you want them to do?

Not much, really. I'm not aching to see much changed in OSX. As useful as they may be, I'm saying that the technical improvements are not going to appear very compelling to your average Mac user. I'm happy to see them pricing it at $29, if only because I think they'd have a tough time selling this update at $129.
  • Reply 83 of 137
    webraiderwebraider Posts: 163member
    I don't care how cheap it is.. I will not be purchasing another Apple Product (OS or Hardware) until they either release or make known their BluRay plans. The fact that you can't even Author A BluRay Disk from Final Cut Pro is ABSURD! I konw most of the macs shipping don't have the DPI to appreciate BluRay but being able to play the media is worth it IMHO. The thing is, if Apple want's to keep it's pro users the BETTER act fast to put BluRay in. Their current answer: Boot into windows... RIDICULOUS.
  • Reply 84 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

What exactly am I supposed to be looking for?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don’t think he read your post well. I think he assumed the ’11’ was a reference to it being impossible to offer a point update that numbered paste 10, hence the Wiki page to Tiger.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Not sure what part of what he wrote was wrong.

We get a new OS every 2 or 2.5 years.

I was pointing out the inaccuracy of assuming that 11.0 would come out after 10.9 rather than 10.7 or 10.13. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

I don't disagree with the point that we get a new OS every 2-2.5 years, just that you could infer anything about when OS 11 will be released based on that.
  • Reply 85 of 137
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloodstains View Post

I was pointing out the inaccuracy of assuming that 11.0 would come out after 10.9 rather than 10.7 or 10.13. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

I don't disagree with the point that we get a new OS every 2-2.5 years, just that you could infer anything about when OS 11 will be released based on that.

No problem.

I hate assuming here as well but there seems to be two schools of thought coming from end users.

1. The "my amp goes to 11" crowd- These users are motivated by what they perceive as huge change. Thus they crave being able to jump from 10.7 to 11.0 because that would seem to portend such a radical shift in computing paradigm.

2. The other (such as myself) crowd - places no real emphasis on version numbers other than to ascertain the scope of a release. Since Apple has dogmatically stuck to 10.x paid upgrades I'm not about to assume a jump to 11.0 out of sequence will happen though I do not dispute the possibility of it happening.

Thanks for the clarification.
  • Reply 86 of 137
    talon8472talon8472 Posts: 149member
    Oye, I can't wait for it to be officially released. It looks like a great upgrade!!!
  • Reply 87 of 137
    tiadimundotiadimundo Posts: 153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

What kind of stuff has MS had since Windows 2000 that is not in OS X? Do tell. I can tell you about 3000 things that OS X has that are not in any Windows release, and they are all available by starting that little thing called Terminal.

Maximized windows, mouse scroll wheel, ALT+Tab window switcher, window resizing on all edges, full keyboard navigation of the UI ...

• Reply 88 of 137
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    You might find this hard to believe, but I actually like aqua. I would assume a lot of other people do as well. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind the whole OS taking on the look of Quicktime X. Yet, when Apple changes things too much, people whine. Take for instance, the Tabs on top of Safari. That really was a good feature. Some people whined, and boom Apple does away with the feature. Now in the final release it is a bigger pain in the but to create tabs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I'm not bitching about the $30 (if you read more carefully) and Windows always looks like a Kiddie Carnival to me (ugly as sh*t).

What I'm saying is ten year old blobby blue scroll bars are passé and if anyone should have higher standards for GUIs it's Apple. I will be buying Snow Leopard for the "under the hood" improvements, and I would still buy it if it was the old price.

• Reply 89 of 137
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Not much, really. I'm not aching to see much changed in OSX. As useful as they may be, I'm saying that the technical improvements are not going to appear very compelling to your average Mac user. I'm happy to see them pricing it at $29, if only because I think they'd have a tough time selling this update at $129.

I have to say, average users are no dummy either. All those refinements and speed improvements worth much more than that that price tag, let alone the new technologies they introduce in 10.6.
  • Reply 91 of 137
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

10.7 - est 2011

10.8 - est 2013

10.9 - est 2015

11.0 - est 2017

Do we actually know that next up is 10.7? I know Apple don't do roadmaps, and I may have missed a reference somewhere, but is it not possible that OSX will end with 10.6? Isn't part of the idea with SL that it lays the foundations for the multi-core & GPGPU future? The end of the 2-D desktop paradigm and the onset of a 3-D virtual workspace?
  • Reply 92 of 137
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webraider View Post

I don't care how cheap it is.. I will not be purchasing another Apple Product (OS or Hardware) until they either release or make known their BluRay plans. The fact that you can't even Author A BluRay Disk from Final Cut Pro is ABSURD! I konw most of the macs shipping don't have the DPI to appreciate BluRay but being able to play the media is worth it IMHO. The thing is, if Apple want's to keep it's pro users the BETTER act fast to put BluRay in. Their current answer: Boot into windows... RIDICULOUS.

As a apple stock holder i say .DUDE shape up and fly right. Get with the apple program. We will ignore what you said ok. Go out right now and get that MBP 15 " you wanted.

• Reply 93 of 137
    martinzmartinz Posts: 92member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

I just wish they would add the ability to view animated GIF's in Preview and not have to resort to using a web browser, especially given the fact that when you download an animated GIF it defaults to Preview.

Preview in Tiger I think it was had a Play button that you could add to the toolbar - that's pretty weird that it left and that you can't view them.

Re other things being said: I fully agree on the versioning thing - I thought Tiger's 10.4.10 and 10.4.11 would have sorted that out for people once and for all. History would suggest Apple might be unpredictable on such things though, like with 7.6, 7.7, 8, 8.1, 8.6, 9, and such. But I think they won't really have a need anymore to round off to 11 for marketing purposes - the cats have been handling that just fine since Jag.

I really hope that the scrollbars get dealt with this time - we were all hoping that they would go all dark grey almost two years ago with Leopard though, so I'm not holding my breath.

Resize handles on all sides would be nice, but that was one of the things offered by brushed metal, which we finally killed with Leopard - ironic hmmm.

Not convinced at all on the new Stacks vis Ã* vis List mode browsing in the Dock as we had between 10.0 and 10.4.11, taking a short vacation for 10.5.0, and have had since 10.5.1. The only issue with that mode is that mouse navigation can get stuck if a particularly wide filename arises - still better than being able to see 10 characters of a name in grid view though IMO. Desktop browsing ≠ iPhone browsing in that regard.

Interesting also the dock exposé menu - looks very much like the iPhone cut/paste menu, at least the one previewed a while back, weird. And as for the use of Dock exposé, the example of dragging a pic into a Mail window is about the only thing I can think of, and one can already do that quite happily - maybe not with quite so many windows open though. And then there's always just browsing within Mail to find the file.

The new Apple keyboards have that F-key assigned to show all windows, and leave no room for a single key to show desktop, even though IMO that remains the most useful exposé feature - still good to see they are tidying up the mini-window layout though.

It would be pretty cool to have an OS that goes to 11, but I think we'll see at least Cougar (although this one should really be older), Lynx and Lion before then - after that they get a bit less widely known - Ocelot? Those three take us to .9 so the decimal theory could be right after all .
  • Reply 94 of 137
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuperMacGuy View Post

Here's classic doublespeak from Apple. Quicktime's new "less intrusive" view - look now, putting controllers RIGHT ON TOP OF THE CONTENT is NOT "LESS" intrusive. In fact it obscures the actual content even more! Now I have to put my cursor over top of the movie to see how much I've watched or the timecode or to pause it etc. Of course it fades away and that is OK. Also take close look at the images, the QT title bar actually ALSO intrudes into the movie view, not above/outside the image content. But I never had a problem with the old quicktime play/pause/rr/ff buttons or the time marker playhead etc. If I wanted to see it full screen I use full screen mode and it all goes away including my desktop. But now the controller is SMALLER and therefore LESS ACCURATE.

(My comments based only on screenshots and descriptions not of any actual use).

Maybe there is a Pro mode, or edit mode can be more frame accurate. Or maybe I'll just have to use VLC for everything and hope they keep improving that.

Apple's innovative but I really hate their continual de-professionalizing of everything.

Very well put. I totally agree about the overlaying of the controls and title on the actual content - I hate it. In full screen mode, that's one thing. But not when it's regular size. Please give feedback to Apple now - I will also.
  • Reply 95 of 137
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

As apple stock holder i say .DUDE shape up and fly right. Get with the apple program. We will ignore what you said ok. Go out right now and get that MBP 15 " you wanted.

The only explanation I can come up with for your non-stop torrent of semi-gibberish posts is that you're typing with your tongue, holding a photo of the new iPhone in one hand, while jerking off with the other.
  • Reply 96 of 137
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TiAdiMundo View Post

Maximized windows, mouse scroll wheel, ALT+Tab window switcher, window resizing on all edges, full keyboard navigation of the UI ...

You can maximize windows in OS X as well if you need to. The + button does not maximize though, its algorithm just tries to get rid of scrollbars (both horizontal and vertical) if possible. CMD+Tab switches windows in OS X (but you can and should use expose instead), you can use full keyboard navigation if you turn it on in the settings, you can scroll with the mouse wheel, and in horizontal directions as well.

Did you even ever use OS X. Makes me wonder about anything else you might have to say. No wonder you can not recognize the value of UNIX command line and tools, that's way beyond your abilities.
  • Reply 97 of 137
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Does Apple have a reputation for offering too few bundled wallpapers? Leopard comes with 79.

Apple has a rep for adding this type of stuff quite slowly. Look at the screensavers, widgets and wallpapers Apple added for Leopard that were not in Tiger. Done counting? LOL They added 2 screensavers, 3 wallpapers, and 1 widget. Ok, my point is made.
  • Reply 98 of 137
    chase rchase r Posts: 18member
    Does anyone know if Quicktime X will natively support MKVs? After all, Apple says that Quicktime X is optimized for the latest modern media formats". I would consider MKV to be the latest in media formats.

Also what about the AC3 passthru problem that currently exists? Currently, Quicktime downmixes the AC3 stream to stereo before it outputs it... will that still be a problem?
  • Reply 99 of 137
    mcmlxixmcmlxix Posts: 32member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TiAdiMundo View Post

Open windows can fill the maximum desktop space in OSX. If by maximize you mean the way that the open windows lock into place in MS Windows, then I say it's good they don't 'maximize', but I suppose that?s just a personal preference. Being able to easily slide maximum sized windows around that aren?t locked into place makes drag and drop workflows much more efficient.

cmd+tab switches windows, and I think does so better that alt+tab since you can also select with your pointer.

Full keyboard navigation of the UI?they just forced MS Office 2007 on us at work?yeah, tell that to MS too.
  • Reply 100 of 137
    tiadimundotiadimundo Posts: 153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

You can maximize windows in OS X as well if you need to. The + button does not maximize though, its algorithm just tries to get rid of scrollbars (both horizontal and vertical) if possible. CMD+Tab switches windows in OS X (but you can and should use expose instead), you can use full keyboard navigation if you turn it on in the settings, you can scroll with the mouse wheel, and in horizontal directions as well.

Did you even ever use OS X. Makes me wonder about anything else you might have to say. No wonder you can not recognize the value of UNIX command line and tools, that's way beyond your abilities.

Oh yes I know that OS X can do this now after 4 updates. But we where talking about Windows 2000 and therefore I was referring to 10.0 to be fair.

About the Terminal: PowerShell in Vista and 7 is way beyond the Unix CLI. It's object oriented. But I personally don't need such things.