13-inch MacBook Pro teardown reveals "unimaginative" SD Card slot

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 97
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lvidal View Post

Just tell me you "design geniuses" how do you use your USB drive EVERY SINGLE DAY without breaking it?? this complaint is the senseless one I've known in all Apple fans history. I really hope Apple never redesigns it.

Haha. Well at least you didn't scream like that other dude...

Seriously though, I think the hubbub here is that Apple removed a port that they deemed unnecessary (right after they'd just taken away firewire to much vexation), and replaced it with a card-slot that, while useful, is rather awkward looking.

It's not a biggie by any means, but it is weird considering Apple's attitude towards aesthetics is one of the most unforgiving in the industry.

Jimzip
  • Reply 82 of 97
    I must admit, although I'd like it flush, I think it hanging out 1/3 its length... its not goting to be easy to snap. I'd be suprised if we hear of any being damaged at all.
  • Reply 83 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

NO- who cares that it doesn't do what you want it to do.

That's exactly what I said you meant...
  • Reply 84 of 97
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I don't think a lot of people understand what's going on here.

Apple discovered that only a small percentage of users were using the EC slot.

Of that small percentage, the vast majority would have been using the slot for SD or FW800.

If the MBP has both of those, there's little reason to keep EC other than those who need PCI expansion.

Those are high-enders, and will probably use the 17" anyway.

Apple also envisions a time when software can be delivered by SD card (as well as download) and is moving to begin that process.

In time, when the SuperDrive drive is removed, there will be room for a spring-mounted mechanism as well as a larger battery.

In time, the SuperDrive will become an optional install. This was market tested with the AIR.

Apple is always thinking two years ahead.
  • Reply 85 of 97
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Can you believe it? Apple gives them something they never had before on a Mac and all they do is BITCH!

Do I need to say more?

• Reply 86 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I think the optical drive is making its last stand. In fact not only would I like to see either a larger batter or more expansion where the optical drive used to occupy space but I'd love that space to be used for more sophisticated cooling so that a Quad-core chip will work.

Then if Apple wants to go Blu-ray then can make an external drive that works on multiple computers.

Exactly my thoughts. Although we cannot tell beforehand, it seems that removing the optical drive would make the Quad core option a reality in the 13" model, something probably feasible by summer or autumn of next year. Or at least use a more powerful GPU. Snow Leopard would put in good use any of those.
  • Reply 87 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Apple also envisions a time when software can be delivered by SD card (as well as download) and is moving to begin that process.

In time, when the SuperDrive drive is removed, there will be room for a spring-mounted mechanism as well as a larger battery.

In time, the SuperDrive will become an optional install. This was market tested with the AIR.

Apple is always thinking two years ahead.

From a technological point of view I see only disadvantages in the use of optical media compared to SD cards in portable computers. I believe it is only a matter of time for the prices to come down and make the SD cards a viable alternative. Probably Apple will drop the optical drive when the cost per GB parity is achieved between optical disks and SD cards, if not sooner.
  • Reply 88 of 97
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Then if Apple wants to go Blu-ray then can make an external drive that works on multiple computers.

I?m not sure would make an external Blu-ray drive the way they now make an external Superdrive. You can get an external optical drive much cheaper than you can buy Apple?s slim version, but that is expected with such a small design. If Apple were to do the same thing with a BRD the price difference gets quite obscene and the potential number of buyers drop considerably.

However, if we are talking about potential sales for all notebooks, not just MBAs the number may go up despite the price difference between 3rd-party external BRDs. I know some just want Apple?s design or slimness and the prices will drop, but the prices on 3rd-arty drives will drop, too. With CD and DVD drives creating an external made sense as it was and still is not uncommon for software to be dispersed on optical media, but with BR, it?s mainly video that it is used for and it competes directly with Apple?s digital media format.

I think they?ll add HDCP to the OS, but I wouldn?t think they?d sell an Apple-branded external BRD. For all those that want one, no matter the cost, I hope I?m wrong.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Exactly my thoughts. Although we cannot tell beforehand, it seems that removing the optical drive would make the Quad core option a reality in the 13" model, something probably feasible by summer or autumn of next year. Or at least use a more powerful GPU. Snow Leopard would put in good use any of those.

I wonder if a seconds GPU could be used now that Grand Central and OpenCL will be in place. Even if it?s 2x9400Ms in the 13? MBP. Though I?m still waiting for dynamic switching of the IGP and GPU of the other MBPs and for a combined use option. In any case, the options it gives Apple?s engineers is phenomenal. It would be a new age in notebook design that will promptly be copied by all the major OEMs the way the very niche MBA had it?s internals copies from several OEMs almost immediately.
  • Reply 89 of 97
    Quote:

From a technological point of view I see only disadvantages in the use of optical media compared to SD cards in portable computers. I believe it is only a matter of time for the prices to come down and make the SD cards a viable alternative. Probably Apple will drop the optical drive when the cost per GB parity is achieved between optical disks and SD cards, if not sooner.

I can?t foresee the cost per GB being equal anytime soon, but there are plenty of other advantages and things to calculate for estimating when Apple will find it viable. For starters, if we add the cost 8GB SDHC card and the SD reader we probably already get a cost that is lower than the cost of a DL-DVD and the optical drive.
  • Reply 90 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can?t foresee the cost per GB being equal anytime soon, but there are plenty of other advantages and things to calculate for estimating when Apple will find it viable. For starters, if we add the cost 8GB SDHC card and the SD reader we probably already get a cost that is lower than the cost of a DL-DVD and the optical drive.

So you believe that the end of the Superdrive is closer than we here think?
  • Reply 91 of 97
    Quote:

So you believe that the end of the Superdrive is closer than we here think?

If by SuperDrive you mean a CD/DVD writer, then no. I think that Apple would lower the price to appeal to more customers, and after a couple years at $99 and now a potential option for many more buyers a lower price would be highly feasible. I just don?t think that a new SuperDuperDrive with Blu-ray capabilities is feasible.
  • Reply 92 of 97
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    I'm absolutely shocked that Apple would cheap out, and screw up on something as simple as an SD slot. Something every other computer maker has been doing well for years. I am not buying the no room argument either, tiny netbooks all have spring-loaded SD slots. The 9" HP Mini even has an additional slot that lets an entire USB stick fit all the way flush inside it (plus the spring-loaded SD slot, plus two regular USB slots, plus ethernet, video out, audio in/out, AND a 3G card slot).

If Apple can't figure out how to do simple things like this, maybe they need to sub-contract somebody else to design their laptops for them.
  • Reply 93 of 97
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If by SuperDrive you mean a CD/DVD writer, then no. I think that Apple would lower the price to appeal to more customers, and after a couple years at $99 and now a potential option for many more buyers a lower price would be highly feasible. I just don’t think that a new SuperDuperDrive with Blu-ray capabilities is feasible.

If the superdrive becomes external, which I am all for, how does that impact the air?

The new 13" Mac Pro is only 4.5 pounds, and sans disk drive would come even lower (unless it is filled some something heavier, like the battery)

But my point is, if the weight difference becomes smaller and the MBP gets an even better GPU or quad CPU then it has now, then it is hard to justify buying the Air

Now that the MBP screen is better, slightly less weight is the only pro for the Air.

EOL?
  • Reply 94 of 97
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Do I need to say more?

Thank you.
  • Reply 95 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTripper View Post

"half the card hangs out of the side of the computer."

Like if it disappeared inside, how are we supposed to get it out?

A menu based eject button? A tiny pinhole for paperclip ejection? I much rather remove it manually thank you.

(edit: I've changed my position to a spring loaded flush mounted SD port, see later post)

per MacWorld.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1410...dcard_mbp.html

The new SDXC has capacity up to 2TB (repeat 2TB) per card and much faster speeds. Don't know if the new Mac SD slot can handle it or not or the exFAT format if it's required or not.

Supposely one can format a SD card and install OS X on it.

Should be very interesting for laptop owners to be able to have a clone of their boot drive on a SD card for emergencies or archiving purposes.

But the slow usb bus will drag the system down when booting from it.
  • Reply 96 of 97
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

But the slow usb bus will drag the system down when booting from it.

As I've mentioned previously, this machine is simply a precursor to the real implementation of high capacity, high speed SD cards still to come. The most obvious show of this is Apple's using the USB bus to hook the card into the system instead of the Firewire bus.

This machine is a far better value that the USB-only version because of the inclusion of Firewire.

But it's still a proof-of-concept machine with regards to the SD slot.
  • Reply 97 of 97
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halhiker View Post

I was thinking if they got rid of the CD drive I could get another HD.

There already is a few ways to do this... just... DO it! I just modified my 13" to do this with the MCE optibay...

http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/

(no I do not work for them). I put a 120GB Vertex SSD in my MBP 13" along with the 320GB I have, so I have a nice fast OS (on the SSD) and a lot of storage since I never use my CD drive.

_pure awesomeness_ Like I said, you can already do this.