Which CPU's in Macbook Pro?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is Apple using the T or P series CPU's in the Macbook Pro 15 and 17?

For example:

2.66 Ghz - T9550 or P8800

2.8 Ghz - P9700 or T9600

Any references or links that confirm which ones are being used, Apple does not include this info anywhere that I can find.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccpu View Post

For example:

2.8 Ghz - P9700 or T9600

Any references or links that confirm which ones are being used, Apple does not include this info anywhere that I can find.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro#Models_2
  • Reply 2 of 22
    maratusmaratus Posts: 38member
    Quote:

For example:

2.8 Ghz - P9700 or T9600

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ody-specs.html
  • Reply 3 of 22
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Serious ambiguity.

(As of 16 June 2009, the Wikipedia article has now switched to say that the part is the T9600.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro#Models_2
  • Reply 4 of 22
    maccpumaccpu Posts: 14member
    I am starting to think the closest thing in Corporate America to censorship in China and N. Korera is Apple Computer. I mean what is so confidential about whether or not they are using a P or T processor? Apple should be embarrassed at itself for not publishing or "divulging" these common specs.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Quote:

I mean what is so confidential about whether or not they are using a P or T processor?

Good question, though I don't know that Apple has made a habit of publishing specific part numbers in the past. Do HP, Dell, Lenovo, and company stipulate specific CPUs? Maybe they do.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sybaritic View Post

Good question, though I don't know that Apple has made a habit of publishing specific part numbers in the past. Do HP, Dell, Lenovo, and company stipulate specific CPUs? Maybe they do.

They not only list it, they offer you the choice between T or P versions of the CPU. The P series are more energy efficient, run cooler, and cost more.

Intel CPU Overview:

http://www.intel.com/products/proces...about/core.htm

Core 2 Duo Specs:

http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollecti...familyID=26548

Excuse me for the Apple rant, but sometimes this company is just full of it.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    Quote:

They not only list it, they offer you the choice between T or P versions of the CPU.

I see that Intel lists this info, but what about Dell, etc?

Regardless, Apple should let consumers know what they're getting.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sybaritic View Post

I see that Intel lists this info, but what about Dell, etc?.

To answer my own question, Dell DOES offer the specific CPU part number on its website. Apple could do the same but does not.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    It may be Apple doesn't want to divulge this information because they use both, or want to have the option of switching or using both should supply issues arise. If they advertised as one processor or the other, then they'd be locked in to using that processor only.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't a software profiler that could extract the processor stats, even if it was a PC program you had to run under Bootcamp. When I get my new 17" I'll certainly be happy to run any profiling tests anyone requests.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

When I get my new 17" I'll certainly be happy to run any profiling tests anyone requests.

Perfect, and your reasoning makes a great deal of sense.

See also http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=9611544
  • Reply 12 of 22
    I vote for T9600. Reasons?

1. Typical Apple customer doesn't give a damm which CPU model works in his Macbook.

2. T9600 is cheaper

3. T9600 was in previous BTO model. Why bothering with another CPU when nobody cares?

4. With 1.5Gbit SATA, sticking-out SD card and faulty Air C-rev LCDs, slow SSD's instead of Intel or PB22-j, wishing Apple to make such a gift is very naively.

5. P9x00 weren't used in previous unibody models, why should they present in updated ones?

6. What else?

I really hope I'm wrong...
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Given Apple's obfuscation, I'm inclined to go with the 3,06 processor. I know that it's more expensive, but at least it'll be slightly faster AND I'll know that I'm purchasing a 35W part from the get-go.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    According to this reply, it's lousy T9600.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...=1#post7804957

PWNed
  • Reply 15 of 22
    "It may be Apple doesn't want to divulge this information because they use both, or want to have the option of switching or using both should supply issues arise. If they advertised as one processor or the other, then they'd be locked in to using that processor only."

This may be the case or they just don't want to advertise that they are using the older version of the CPU. This should tell you something about Apple. If you are deciding what you are getting on the Windows platform you are not only given a choice you are able to make an informed decision and pay for what you are getting. With Apple they lead on that these laptops are the greenest most energy efficient designs, and then pass along the less efficient cheaper CPU in their "premium" product.

The people over on the Mac Rumors post linked above are reporting that their new Macbook Pros have the T series CPU's. Note how "mikethebigo" reports he determined the CPU Type (full specs) via Windows not OS X. Just one example of a very simple and common spec that is available and accessible on any other platform Windows, UNIX, Linux, but not OS X as far as I can tell.

Steps To Find CPU ID - Info on Windows Vista:

1) Launch Command Prompt

2) Type "wmic" without the quotes, hit Enter

3) Type cpu list, hit Enter

Example:

C: \\Users\\username>wmic

wmic:root\\cli>cpu list

On Linux and UNIX you can get complete info via /proc. On OS X there is no /proc. This article discusses this issue. By the way "sysctl -a hw" did not show complete specs including T or P type from what I could see. I welcome anyone who can tell me how to pull up this information under OS X.

http://osxbook.com/book/bonus/ancient/procfs/

This whole thing is not the end of the world. If you get a new Macbook Pro and it has a T processor the only thing I'd be a little ticked about is that given Apple pricing we should be getting the P series. Intel's pricing and release of the P series is such that the T version is released first. Then the P version is released and the price of the T series drops. So Apple is making a big deal about lowering prices, when in fact all comparable PC's are now cheaper, because Intel dropped the prices.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    To give Apple the benefit of the doubt, not stating the full spec could be due or partly due to availability. In the case of the P9700 2.8 Ghz I know other vendors will not be shipping units with this CPU till the end of the month. Still, one reason to let people know what the full spec is, is because the T series costs less. Everyone should know what they are getting and paying for. This is not a trade secret, it is the customer asking Apple, what are you selling me, and what am I getting for my money. Very often Apple seems to be pretty smug with responding, we are not going to tell you.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:

To give Apple the benefit of the doubt, not stating the full spec could be due or partly due to availability. In the case of the P9700 2.8 Ghz I know other vendors will not be shipping units with this CPU till the end of the month. Still, one reason to let people know what the full spec is, is because the T series costs less. Everyone should know what they are getting and paying for. This is not a trade secret, it is the customer asking Apple, what are you selling me, and what am I getting for my money. Very often Apple seems to be pretty smug with responding, we are not going to tell you.

Introduction DatetJune 8, 2009\tDiscontinued DatetN/A

Processor TypetCore 2 Duo (T9600)\tProcessor Speedt2.8 GHz

Detailst*The Intel "Core 2 Duo" 45 nm "Penryn" (T9600) processor includes two independent processor "cores" on a single silicon chip. Apple also offers this model via custom configuration with a 3.06 GHz "Core 2 Duo" (T9900) for an additional US$300.

Processor UpgradetSoldered\tFPUtIntegrated

System Bus Speedt1066 MHz\tCache Bus Speedt2.8 GHz (Built-in)

ROM/Firmware TypetEFI\tROM/Firmware SizetN/A

L1 Cachet32k/32k\tL2/L3 Cachet6 MB (on chip)

RAM TypetPC3-8500 DDR3\tMin. RAM Speedt1066 MHz

DetailstSupports 1066 MHz PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM.

Standard RAMt4 GB\tMaximum RAMt8 GB

Detailst4 GB of RAM is installed as two 2 GB modules, no slots free.

Site sponsor Other World Computing sells MacBook memory, as well as hard drives, batteries, carrying cases, and accessories.

Motherboard RAMtNone\tRAM Slotst2

Video CardtGeForce 9600M GT*\tVRAM TypetGDDR3*

Detailst*This system has dual graphics processors -- a NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT with 512 MB of dedicated GDDR3 SDRAM and a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M with 256 MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory.

Standard VRAMt512 MB*\tMaximum VRAMt512 MB*

Built-in Displayt15.4" Widescreen\tNative Resolutiont1440x900

2nd Display SupporttDual/Mirroring\t2nd Max. Resolutiont2560x1600

DetailstThe maximum resolution supported on an external display is 2560x1600.

Standard Hard Drivet500 GB (5400 RPM)\tInt. HD InterfacetSerial ATA

Standard Opticalt8X DL "SuperDrive"\tStandard DisktNone

DetailstApple reports that this slot-loading "SuperDrive" (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) has a maxium write speed of "8x DVD-R, DVD+R; 4x DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, DVD+RW; 24x CD-R; 10x CD-RW" and a maximum read speed of "8x DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-ROM; 6x DVD-ROM (double layer DVD-9), DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, and DVD+RW; 24x CD".

Standard ModemtNone\tStandard Ethernett10/100/1000Base-T

Standard AirPortt802.11a/b/g/n\tStandard Bluetootht2.1+EDR

USB Portst2 (2.0)\t Firewire Portst1 (800)

DetailstTwo 480-Mbps USB 2.0 ports, one 800-Mbps Firewire "800" port.

Also see: Complete Ports.

Expansion SlotstSD Card Slot\tExpansion BaystNone

DetailstThis model has an SD card slot. It does not have an ExpressCard/34 expansion slot. No expansion bays are provided.

Incl. KeyboardtFull-size\tIncl. InputtTrackpad (4 Finger)

Case TypetNotebook\tForm FactortMacBook Pro (Unibody)

Apple Model NotMB986LL/A\tApple SubfamilytMid-2009 15"

Gestalt/Model IDtN/A\tMachine ModeltMacBookPro5,3*

Battery Typet73 W/Hr Li-Poly\tBattery Lifet7 Hours

Pre-Installed MacOStX 10.5.7\tMaximum MacOStCurrent

MacOS 9 SupporttNone\tWindows SupporttBoot/Virtualization

DetailstAlso see: Are there any third-party programs to run MacOS 9/Classic applications on Intel Macs?

Site sponsor OHS specializes in heavily upgraded Macs capable of running both MacOS X and MacOS 9 applications.

For more on running Windows on Intel Macs, please refer to the exhaustive Windows on Mac Q&A.

Dimensionst0.95 x 14.35 x 9.82\tAvg. Weightt5.5 lbs (2.49 kg)

Original PricetUS$2299*\tEst. Current RetailtUS$2299*

DetailstThis is for the stock configuration with a 2.8 GHz processor. Apple also offers this model via custom configuration with a 3.06 GHz "Core 2 Duo" (T9900) for an additional US$300.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    "Introduction Date: June 8, 2009 Discontinued Date: N/A

Processor Type: Core 2 Duo (T9600) Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Details: *The Intel "Core 2 Duo" 45 nm "Penryn" (T9600) processor includes two independent processor "cores" on a single silicon chip."

Appreciate the information, but at the very least there seems to be a few typos.

This mentions the T9600's "Introduction Date" as June 8, 2009. Intel lists the launch date for this CPU as "Q3, 08". Intel lists the launch date for the P9700 as "Q2, 09". The T9600 has been around for a while, it is the P9700 that has just been introduced.

http://laptoping.com/intel-core-2-du...u2700-ulv.html

This is an example of why it is important for Apple to publish accurate and complete information. It eliminates misinformation and misunderstandings, as well as provides customers with the information they are looking for and considering when choosing which system to buy.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    To the point of pricing, and I think also demonstrates this is an older CPU.

Intel Cuts T9600 and P8700 Mobile CPU Prices :

http://techiton.blogspot.com/2009/06...obile-cpu.html
  • Reply 20 of 22
    brucep I may have misunderstood your post. Is it stating that Apple is introducing the T9600?

Also a point that should be made the T9600 is a positive upgrade from the slower 2.66 Ghz which was previously the fastest CPU offered on the 15 inch Macbook Pro. Same with the 17 inch Macbook Pro you are getting a bump in CPU speed as well as a lower price. As the article mentions Intel has reduced the price 40% on the T9600.