Apple sees 11 million downloads of Safari 4 in three days

Comments

• Reply 61 of 100
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Yeah dude!!!11

Don't you know that everything Apple does is awesome!!1 And will always be awesome!

And anyone who disagrees is just a contrarian troll???

Just like those trolls at macfixit and macintouch, who think they're so cool to point out that Safari 4 is a huge resource hog, has major javascript issues, and can't handle fringe sites like blogger, Apple and Amazon!

And don't you realize that because I haven't had any problems yet, it also means that no one else has?

Get on board the Apple express! It's awesome!!1!

Baaa! Baaa! MacSheep, have you any drool?

Yes sir, yes sir, three mouths full!

One for my MacBook, One for my iPhone, and one for anything announced at a Keynote.
  • Reply 62 of 100
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

Is it just me or does safari crash more often then its predecessors on 10.5.7 /

Or is it as usual the Flash Plugin that gets the blame

1st gen MB, 12.5GB, 10.5.7

It should be easy enough to determine if it's Flash or something else on your machine. Just disable plug-ins and run for a while. It's actually quite pleasant NOT having all the distracting/flashing/scrolling crap cluttering up the pages. It can't hurt for a few hours, and then you'd have your answer.
  • Reply 63 of 100
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Yes.

As does Adium, and BowTie,and probably a lot of other apps I don't use.

So because you don't use it means it's not useful? He was asking for SnapBack to return to the address field. Command-clicking on the title bar pops up a list that produces a similar effect to SnapBack.
  • Reply 64 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Safari 4 working great on iBook G4 (10 years old) running 10.5.7

• Reply 65 of 100
    spiffy1spiffy1 Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PKGuy323 View Post

I love the Safari 4 on my Mac. However, the Windows version at work crashes almost EVERY time I use it. Not a good thing if there are Windows users considering switching to Mac.

I always get the feeling that Windows is intentionally screwing up Safari.

Aside from that, Safari is okay. But it does get bogged down if too many windows are open for too long on a Mac, let alone PC. Firefox is okay. It reminds me of a circus or a carnival with lots of pretty rides and miscellaneous BS attached to it. Sort of detracts from the core browser experience, although I'd take it over IE any day.

I was forced to use a PC for a few months while traveling and I used Google Chrome. I have to say that is BY FAR the fastest, easiest and most stable browser I have ever used. I am looking forward to Chrome on the Mac. That'll be sa-weeet!
  • Reply 66 of 100
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    I am among the 11 million that downloaded it. I checked it out. It crashed on me a few times, which was more than I remembered with the old Safari. Not a big deal because I still prefer Firefox.
  • Reply 67 of 100
    delanydelany Posts: 51member
    Safari 4 initial impressions:

Feels faster.

Top sites (though a direct steal from Chrome)

Dislikes:

Crashed once already after only a half an hour or so of use. When I was playing with top sites. Hm. Though it did survive a visit to Metacritic.

New loading indicator is terrible. Very un-Apple. That's a gonner in a future version for sure.

New tabs look clunkier (bigger?).

Basic Features Still Missing:

The option to have links marked to open in a new window instead open in a new tab without having to hold down Command. I mean, honestly, once you've accepted that a browser should have tabs what is the point in not having this?

Simple offline browsing.
  • Reply 68 of 100
    yodieyodie Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bonklers View Post

I notice that the tab can be dragged out to its own window, BUT how can i drag that window back to the tabs?? That seems like a pretty common sense feature that should be available. the solution is INCLUDE THE OPTION to have the tabs on the title bar and make tabs show up even if there is only one window.

Tabs DO show up even if there is only one window...

Type:

Code:

defaults write com.apple.safari AlwaysShowTabBar TRUE

• Reply 69 of 100
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eko425 View Post

Apple only has around 7% of the worldwide market

Nope. Actually it's less than 4%.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

It is like this:

5 million Mac users downloaded Safari for Mac.

Same 5 million Mac users downloaded Safari for their cursed office PCs.

1 million genuine Windows users downloaded Safari for PC to see what is the fuss all about.

1 billion remaining PC and Mac users closed tab with download link in their existing Firefox, IE, Opera, older Safari... and went on with their lives.

bingo!
  • Reply 70 of 100
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yodie View Post

Tabs DO show up even if there is only one window...

Type:

Code:

defaults write com.apple.safari AlwaysShowTabBar TRUE

or, you could just use the keyboard shortcut shift-command-T, or the menu item "show tab bar" in the view menu.
  • Reply 71 of 100
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    I want to like Safari, but it's too slow to switch between drop-down menus on my bookmarks bar, and too slow to close tabs. Also I miss Adblock too much. I'm going to have to stick with Firefox.
  • Reply 72 of 100
    yodieyodie Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

or, you could just use the keyboard shortcut shift-command-T, or the menu item "show tab bar" in the view menu.

True, but that's less fun.
  • Reply 73 of 100
    xtrmtrkxtrmtrk Posts: 21member
    I've had more Safari crashes in the last 24 hours than the last 24 months. I'm regretting installing 4.0, at least on my PowerBook G4. It seems it can happen on all pages, even relatively simple ones. I haven't found any way to reliably reproduce the problem. I hope there's a 4.0.1 soon.
  • Reply 74 of 100
    rbodmanrbodman Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrob View Post

the new afari is crashing everytime I go to the online Apple store--why???

very frustrating!

Indeed Safari 4 crashes on all 5 of my Macs, each on Mac OS X 10.5.7.

The issue is Java Script which is enabled in Safari:Preferences:Advanced.

If you disable it, then Safari won't crash, but it won't open many sites.

If you enable it, Safari will crash on Apple:Store every time.

This is about as stupid an error I can think of. Apple is acting like Microsoft.

Hope they put out an update soon.
  • Reply 75 of 100
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbodman View Post

Indeed Safari 4 crashes on all 5 of my Macs, each on Mac OS X 10.5.7.

The issue is Java Script which is enabled in Safari:Preferences:Advanced.

If you disable it, then Safari won't crash, but it won't open many sites.

If you enable it, Safari will crash on Apple:Store every time.

This is about as stupid an error I can think of. Apple is acting like Microsoft.

Hope they put out an update soon.

It's also frustrating to read these crash complaints while I haven't experienced a single crash since upgrading to Safari 4.0 in day 1. I always enable everything in preference, but still can't reproduce any crash.
  • Reply 76 of 100
    erunnoerunno Posts: 225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I'm surprised they didn't add multiple processes for tabs also, since it would be pretty easy to do.

Says the self-confessed non-developer. If you want gain some insight into trying to retrofit a mostly single-threaded architecture into a multi-process one I urge you to read the Firefox development mailing lists where the Mozilla developers are experimenting with exactly that problem. Hint: It's far from trivial, especially when having to do it on multiple platforms.

Quote:

However, there is actually lots of new sandboxing on Safari 4, just nothing to do with the tabs.

Too bad Apple is again after a quick money grab and made it a 10.6 only feature despite Chrome being a working proof-of-concept that sandboxing works on 10.5 just fine with the OS tools available.

Anyway, I'm glad that Apple *finally* fixed the ridiculous memory usage. Safari still uses about 300-400 MB memory (give or take 20) but at least it *stays* in that range even after extended use. My best guess is that the fixed amount of used memory is used for caching the site previews in top sites/history search and indices for full-text search.

I'm really disappointed that Apple didn't implement the non-modal password dialogue from Firefox/Chrome as it's such an *obvious* usability improvement while they wasted time experimenting with tabs-on-top.

It's also a little bit disappointing that the adress bar does not work like Firefox' aweseome bar. You still can't search for arbitrary substrings in the URL/site title. It's pretty much the same old adress bar as in Safari 3 with a much improved result field.

Top-sites are slow to load and are in dire need of speed optimizations. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple tackles the problem in of the subsequent releases.

Altogether this is a very solid release though, it just lacks any kind of ambition.
  • Reply 77 of 100
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

It's also frustrating to read these crash complaints while I haven't experienced a single crash since upgrading to Safari 4.0 in day 1. I always enable everything in preference, but still can't reproduce any crash.

Same here. I'm running Safari 4 on a MacBook Pro, Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz 2GB ram, JavaScript enabled, no crashes on the Apple site or anywhere else. It's fast and it's working fine for me.

Not sure what's up with what other people are reporting, but it certainly doesn't appear to be some kind of obvious problem with Apple's JavaScript implementation.

Here is a fluid dynamics simulator written entirely in JS; on my install of Firefox (latest update) I can get about 8 fps under load whereas Safari 4 gives me around 20fps.

Have no idea if that's a meaningful metric of anything, just thought I'd mention it.
  • Reply 78 of 100
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Same here. I'm running Safari 4 on a MacBook Pro, Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz 2GB ram, JavaScript enabled, no crashes on the Apple site or anywhere else. It's fast and it's working fine for me.

Not sure what's up with what other people are reporting, but it certainly doesn't appear to be some kind of obvious problem with Apple's JavaScript implementation.

Here is a fluid dynamics simulator written entirely in JS; on my install of Firefox (latest update) I can get about 8 fps under load whereas Safari 4 gives me around 20fps.

Have no idea if that's a meaningful metric of anything, just thought I'd mention it.

I can’t speak for the current Safari 4 out of Beta, but I’ve been using the bata since last year when Safari 4 was first introduced. Never had that issue.

Once I install the latest SL beta I’ll get the latest Safari 4. Even with the plug-in snadboxng I know I’ll miss the tabs on top, so I’m holding off. The previous Beta is stiable enough at this point to wait a couple weeks to see if they add it back.
  • Reply 79 of 100
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

Anyway, I'm glad that Apple *finally* fixed the ridiculous memory usage. Safari still uses about 300-400 MB memory (give or take 20) but at least it *stays* in that range even after extended use. My best guess is that the fixed amount of used memory is used for caching the site previews in top sites/history search and indices for full-text search.

Agreed. I'm getting a pretty stable 250MB with about 8 tabs open, closing tabs properly releases memory and I'm not getting that horrible creep that eventually slowed everything to a crawl.

While average memory usage is higher than, say, Firefox (which seems to be content with around 100MB), I don't find the extra 150MB to be particularly vexing on a modern machine, beyond sort of an abstract desire for coding elegance. Doesn't really affect my day to day usage, is all.

Quote:

Altogether this is a very solid release though, it just lacks any kind of ambition.

Fair enough, although the performance improvement are quite welcome.
  • Reply 80 of 100
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I can’t speak for the current Safari 4 out of Beta, but I’ve been using the bata since last year when Safari 4 was first introduced. Never had that issue.

Once I install the latest SL beta I’ll get the latest Safari 4. Even with the plug-in snadboxng I know I’ll miss the tabs on top, so I’m holding off. The previous Beta is stiable enough at this point to wait a couple weeks to see if they add it back.

Safari 4 didn't crash much for me either when it was still beta, but it had some annoying lags when mousing across tabs and bookmarks in bookmark bar. The official release is more responsive to me, though typing in search for history still gives me beach ball. On top of that, I can drag by wherever I want to when I want to drag a tab, as opposed to that little space I could drag in beta.

Quote:

Agreed. I'm getting a pretty stable 250MB with about 8 tabs open, closing tabs properly releases memory and I'm not getting that horrible creep that eventually slowed everything to a crawl.

It easily uses more than 750MB with merely 4 or 5 tabs open, and I have to quit and reopen it to make it use less than 300MB. Memory usage is probably the only gripe I have about Safari 4.