Yeah another first time purchase topic.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
All right I'm looking at either one of the 15-inch MacBook Pros with NVidia GeForce 9400M + 9600GT 512MB vs. the iMac 24-inch with the ATI Radeon 4850 with 512MB. Just want to get some opinions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    um... do you want something portable or not???

If you want a desktop, then definitely go with the Macbook.

If portability is needed, then it's definitely the iMac for you!

• Reply 2 of 4
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    That helps a bit though it just comes down to the graphics card at the moment.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If you don't need something portable, and don't want to keep charging your computer then get the iMac. Desktops are more productive.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    A few things I'm factoring into my decision.

1. Applecare - Not sure if I should get it right away though it's an $80 or $180 difference varying from the iMac, MacBook Pro 13", and MacBook Pro 15" and 17".

2. Space - While I have a large desk. I'm wondering about space for the iMac. The 24-inch seems to take up too much space and while the 20-inch would take up less space. I'm wondering if it would still be a proper fit.

3. Graphics - nVidia GeForce 120GT w/ 256MB or GeForce 130 GT w/ 512MB vs. 9400M w/ 9600GT 256 or 512MB

4. Heat - Which gets hotter faster and give off more heat?

Right now I'm leaning towards the 20-inch iMac though maybe some MBP fans can post their thoughts. Portability is not an issue.