Next Logical Step for MBP?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
hi

i was wandering now that the MB 13" is now a MBP so to speak, what is the next logically step for the MBP? for example when is the next major internal change due and whether or not they will try and drop the cd drive in order to slim it down? \ or whether as another post said, this leaves room for a mac tablet?

but any ideas or thoughts welcome

o and a v random question, but is there any chance of apple ever making a matte black mbp in metal ..... or i am just being hopefully :P

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    dropping optical drive would be suicide

but if possible, I'd like to see even lighter and thinner MBP

and even though I'll probably never buy one, a 20" would be sweeeet
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Hopefully a blu-ray drive and a built in 3G card for internet.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Even thinner!
  • Reply 4 of 23
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Since my 17" G4 is starting to get long in the tooth, I would like to upgrade to a 17' tablet. It would be thinner/lighter comes in black. Slots for Blu-ray, firewire, USB, Mini Display port and ethernet. I believe the next logical step is a tablet.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reg View Post

Since my 17" G4 is starting to get long in the tooth, I would like to upgrade to a 17' tablet. It would be thinner/lighter comes in black. Slots for Blu-ray, firewire, USB, Mini Display port and ethernet. I believe the next logical step is a tablet.

Tablet is logical. Tablet with BluRay is not logical.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    I watched a movie from a thumb drive the other day. Until the constant data rate can handle a HD movie/full screen without pixelating, then an optical drive is needed. They have the Blu-ray superdrive for the power macs so it will only be a short time before they are ready for my tablet.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

dropping optical drive would be suicide

but if possible, I'd like to see even lighter and thinner MBP

and even though I'll probably never buy one, a 20" would be sweeeet

How would dropping an optical drive be suicide? How old were you when the original iMac

was announced.

I think indeed the next step is to dis-integrate the optical drive which has become this generations "floppy" disk.

I don't see Apple making the laptops thinner. Their hottest processor is the 35 watts TDP 3.06Ghz . Apple needs to be able to handle the upcoming 45 watts TDP Nehalem Mobile (Clarksfield). That 10 TDP extra watts won't be easy.

I'd like to see them remove the optical drive. Add another drive bay (redundancy is always a Pro feature) maybe a larger battery and cooling options to run the Quad Core Nehalem chips.

They could be kind and bring ExpressCard back. I'd also like to see discrete graphics in ALL Pro Apple notebooks.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Obviously I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd happily give up an internal optical drive in return for one or more of the following:

Bigger battery

Lighter weight

2nd hard drive option

Faye Runaway
  • Reply 9 of 23
    reza666reza666 Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post

Obviously I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd happily give up an internal optical drive in return for one or more of the following:

Bigger battery

Lighter weight

2nd hard drive option

Faye Runaway

Same here. All i ever wanted has been

- HDMI (come on apple its getting ridiculous now!)

- 3G

- Non reflective screen like the ones before. Hate the current ones. I can see myself in it and it annoys me.

- Lighter weight is always a plus ofc
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reza666 View Post

Same here. All i ever wanted has been

- HDMI (come on apple its getting ridiculous now!)

- 3G

- Non reflective screen like the ones before. Hate the current ones. I can see myself in it and it annoys me.

- Lighter weight is always a plus ofc

HDMI is a consumer electronics connection whilst DisplayPort is designed for computer displays. What we really need is DisplayPort that sends the audio through the connection as well.
  • Reply 11 of 23
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

How would dropping an optical drive be suicide? How old were you when the original iMac

was announced.

I think indeed the next step is to dis-integrate the optical drive which has become this generations "floppy" disk.

I don't see Apple making the laptops thinner. Their hottest processor is the 35 watts TDP 3.06Ghz . Apple needs to be able to handle the upcoming 45 watts TDP Nehalem Mobile (Clarksfield). That 10 TDP extra watts won't be easy.

I'd like to see them remove the optical drive. Add another drive bay (redundancy is always a Pro feature) maybe a larger battery and cooling options to run the Quad Core Nehalem chips.

They could be kind and bring ExpressCard back. I'd also like to see discrete graphics in ALL Pro Apple notebooks.

DVD and BD are not FD.

OS X still comes in DVDs.

If you wanna install a new version, or another OS you'll need a DVD drive. I know you can install Linux from a USB Flash drive, but can you do the same with OS X?
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

DVD and BD are not FD.

OS X still comes in DVDs.

If you wanna install a new version, or another OS you'll need a DVD drive. I know you can install Linux from a USB Flash drive, but can you do the same with OS X?

The parallels are all there.

FD= DVD

Zip drive = Bluray

I'm not saying Apple will kill the optical drive they'll just either make it external or optional or both. Basically the naysayers will be speaking from inconvenience more than anything IMO.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Apple adds an inch back to the thickness of a new MBP. The extra inch is one giant battery in teh new non-removable fashion. First laptop w/over 24 hours of heavy usage on one charge
  • Reply 14 of 23
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Here is some comments and my view or wants for the next revision of machines.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spikeme View Post

hi

i was wandering now that the MB 13" is now a MBP so to speak, what is the next logically step for the MBP?

Quad Cores and a faster 9400M.

Quote:

for example when is the next major internal change due and whether or not they will try and drop the cd drive in order to slim it down?

Actually this revision at WWDC was much bigger than I was expecting other than the lack of a QUAD CORE anywhere in the lineup.

As to the CD drive that really needs to go! Just imagine how bit the battery would be if it wasn't in the case. That and the fact that they hardly get used anymore. Even if the battery didn't end up bigger I'd like to see more internal secondary storage and frankly a CD drive is just a waste of space, especially if you need to carry an external HD around with you.

Quote:

\ or whether as another post said, this leaves room for a mac tablet?

It would be absolutely foolish on Apples part to design a Mac TABLET around a note book. If such a devices is to have a chance in hell of being successful it will need to have a tailored motherboard and battery solution along the lines of an iPhone. I have a hard time believing that Apple will repeat the mistakes of the past when it comes to a tablet. Especially when they have been so successful with the iPod Touch and iPhone.

Quote:

but any ideas or thoughts welcome

Here is a bright idea: Your use of abbreviations and single letter whatevers SUCKS!

Quote:

o and a v random question, but is there any chance of apple ever making a matte black mbp in metal ..... or i am just being hopefully :P

The problem with black finishes is that they don't take abuse well.

As to what I'd like to see:

Drop the CD drive.

Install a very large SSD in its place. Or see number 6 below.

OLED display.

Quad cores at least as an option.

An internal PCI-Express slot. This to be implemented at the users option as a Cell modem, a SSD, an additional GPU/ OPEN CL accelerator or what ever they want it to be. The biggest use I could see is for an extra internal SSD storage bay.

The above item should not detract from the fact that the room freed up by deletion of the CD drive is to be used to provide room for at least 2 conventional SSD modules. Being able to install three in a RAID configuration would be a big win though. They could actually have a nice array if they used 1.8" SSD drives.

Ideally the above array of SSD disks would be driven by a dedicated RAID controller for maximum speed and reliability.

Firewire 3200. Nothing public has come from Apple with respect to this interface. However I have this idea that it is farther along and more stable than USB 3.0. Ultimately it ought to work much better than USB even if in theory a bit slower.

Solar recharging built into the cover. OK maybe not enough area to result in a serious recharge but it ought to be able to reduce battery load thus extending battery life.

A 9 pin RS232 port. Yeah I know a huge regression but the amount of industrial hardware that depend upon it is just amazing. It provides for a way to use the Mac Books that is easy as opposed to kludges currently required.

Those are off the top of my head and could be considered a personal wish list. The thing is I think a number of people could get into the idea of manny of the items listed above.

Dave
  • Reply 15 of 23
    reza666reza666 Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

HDMI is a consumer electronics connection whilst DisplayPort is designed for computer displays. What we really need is DisplayPort that sends the audio through the connection as well.

As long as the other end is HDMI i will be satisfied. All modern LCD's today have an HDMI so it feel very strange to use 2 cables to connect to my modern LCD or Receiver. In a expensive piece of hardware you expect more to be honest.

Even some of Dell's budget laptops offer HDMI today which is sad we dont get this
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by reza666 View Post

As long as the other end is HDMI i will be satisfied. All modern LCD's today have an HDMI so it feel very strange to use 2 cables to connect to my modern LCD or Receiver. In a expensive piece of hardware you expect more to be honest.

Even some of Dell's budget laptops offer HDMI today which is sad we dont get this

Yes but the the incredulity coming from computer users is a bit interesting because HDMI isn't really a good computer display interconnect. It's DVI +audio.

However if the typical Mac user takes his/her que from PC land they will erroneously assume that HDMI is a suitable connection for computers because over there HDMI is used as a marketing point.

I want science to come back to computers.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    spikemespikeme Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Here is a bright idea: Your use of abbreviations and single letter whatevers SUCKS!

Sorry about that, I sometimes get carried

But, nice post and I now agree with you about dropping the CD drive, before I wasn't to sure but now I am convinced. All we need now is for Steve to read this and make it for us

But I had an idea admittedly saw it on a a HP, but what about just a empty bay where the CD drive is where you could swap out a hard drive, SSD, CD Drive or a even a "dock" with an e-sata and and firewire port?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    krispiekrispie Posts: 260member
    Quote:

But I had an idea admittedly saw it on a a HP, but what about just a empty bay where the CD drive is where you could swap out a hard drive, SSD, CD Drive or a even a "dock" with an e-sata and and firewire port?

Apple used to do that.

I'm going to struggle to remember the models, but one had two bays. You could put in two batteries, or one battery and a floppy drive. (540c?)

A later model had a battery bay and one that could be CD or floppy.

But the removable bays mean things have to be a lot larger for the extra mechanisms, and also affect the stiffness of the case.

Personally, I'm happy for the battery to be fixed.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    I had a Wall Street 233 that had the multi-use bays. The 3 swaps that I had were CD drive, zip drive and a spare battery. The hot swappable bays have been around for a long time. You needed the extra battery because there were several flights I had that the second battery was not enough. As much as the idea of having swappable drives is good, having to carry the extra drives around is not something I want to do any more. Just make the comm bus faster so a thumb drive can carry everything you need.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Sorry about that, I sometimes get carried

It is only a problem if you want to be understood. Us old farts aren't always up to speed with txt speech. Also don't forget some people here speak other languages, not that I don't forget that myself.

Quote:

But, nice post and I now agree with you about dropping the CD drive, before I wasn't to sure but now I am convinced. All we need now is for Steve to read this and make it for us

I see it as a good idea for the smaller laptops. Right now my usage patterns would be better served by as much internal secondary storage as possible.

The big trouble is that we are in a transition right now with respect to secondary storage. This means it is hard to nail down the best approach to physical internal storage. There is even a big question to how long Flash will be the leading solid state method of storage.

All that giberish aside I want provision for more than one storage module inside my next laptop. Those modules could be SATA (1.8, 2.5), PCI Express or something new. Ideally the minimal configuration would be three slots. I believe this is very doable on even the 13" MBP. The idea is to afford the user internal storage capacity expansion. Internal storage is the one thing we are constantly running out of as users.

Quote:

There have been some really bad implementation of such slots and a few good ones. All take up a lot of space in the frame. Personally I like the idea of the Micro? PCI Express card slots like are used on some netbooks. Implemented as storage cards you should be able to put four of them in the space of a CD drive. Use the HD space and add two more ( I'm assuming an implementation where the cards are stacked two high.

Using todays tech it should be easy to place 256GB on each card, that is a lot of bytes times 6. Obviously I have a different vision of laptops than what we are seeing in the market right now. Most of that is due to always hitting the storage wall on the machines I've owned.

Dave