13" Macbook Pro leaves room for a Mac 'netbook'...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
One thing that got me thinking is Apple updating the Macbook to a Macbook Pro spec. OK the white Macbook is still there, but I think its a temporary measure until Apple release the much rumoured 10" 'netbook' class Mac, whether its a laptop or tablet form. The 13" Macbook is a step in a bigger picture, rearranging the laptop range and coming in at a lower price with a netbook type basic portable.

The netbook rumours didn't make sense to me until yesterday because it would overlap with the Macbook, now that the unibody Macbook is a Pro, there is room for a lower price point portable to replace the white Macbook. Make it smaller and not as powerful as a MBP to cut down on model overlap like there traditionally has been between consumer and pro Mac laptops before, and you're done. You've got yourself a Mac 'netbook' model.

Whaddyathink?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    No netbook. That other rumored device, yeah.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    l255jl255j Posts: 57member
    Actually, that's one of the most intelligent guesses I've heard in a long time. In fact, I think you're right, or at least I hope you are. Then again, the Macbook Air pretty much fills in for the sub-notebook category. I can imagine there being one more possible step down for Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Its going to be tablet based. And there is a strong possibility that it will still debut this year. I have a feeling Jobs will use the product as a way to make a public comeback at an event. Perhaps the September iPod event or a smaller one in October. Since there is no MacWorld anymore for Apple that is what I see happening. They won't wait till early next year to debut the product because that will mean missing the Christmas shopping season. And I don't think they will wait all the way till the next WWDC to debut it.

The MacTouch will happen in 2009!
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post

Its going to be tablet based. And there is a strong possibility that it will still debut this year. I have a feeling Jobs will use the product as a way to make a public comeback at an event. Perhaps the September iPod event or a smaller one in October. Since there is no MacWorld anymore for Apple that is what I see happening. They won't wait till early next year to debut the product because that will mean missing the Christmas shopping season. And I don't think they will wait all the way till the next WWDC to debut it.

The MacTouch will happen in 2009!

I agree 100% with this. I dont know where the new tablet will be classified though. I mean they obviously had a reason to bump the 13 inch to a pro and only keep one regular macbook. I doubt think they will drop the Macbook line completely though. It would be then end of the ibook type computer. So maybe a tablet to sit with the white one. Macbook Tablet could be its name. But then again, a tablet might be aimed at pro users. hmmm. Anyways, i predict a september tablet. But what are they doing with the standard Macbook line. hmm
  • Reply 5 of 20
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    There are several gaps in Apple's product line. Some of them are very old indeed, and I think most people have given up on ever seeing them filled.

So, sure, there's a lot of room between the iPod touch and the Macbook for either a large tablet or a more traditional netbook. Will Apple make one? Maybe. Don't hold your breath.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Apple will never make a netbook, NEVER.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    10" is too small, something like the 12" PowerBook would be nice
  • Reply 8 of 20
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    The white mac book is a very large seller. its a classic. It will stay in the lineup.

I feel the tablet will be 8x6 in. Right size to fit in a lab coat. Also the perfect size to play games on.

It will simply be a large touch.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    undo redoundo redo Posts: 164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

I agree. The only thing I don't like about my netbook is its small screen. 1024x600 just isn't big enough and it needs to be more like 1200x800. But if Apple can't do a smallish portable like the old 12" PowerBook for about $800, I'll stick with my netbook or get one of the 11.6" models coming out soon. There's no need for major expenditure just to couch surf.

I have no interest in a tablet. I wonder how many people really do. I wouldn't want to type this post on one.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    A smaller portable is possible but Apple wouldn't even consider calling it or marketing it as a netbook. For the most part I believe they are calling correctly when they say that netbooks don't offer up a good solution for their users. So Apple would try to address those issues in a smaller device, it would not surprise me if that smaller device tried to fit in as an AIR product.

That is all very lose and improbable speculation as I tend to agree with others that Apple is working on a tablet of sorts. However I don't see that tablet being a "Mac" but rather an iPhone derived product. Trying to deliver a "Mac Tablet" would just be a total nightmare and rather stupid considering the history of such devices. So Apple won't make that oft repeated mistake, instead they will deliver a platform that grooves on being a tablet and nothing more.

Dave
  • Reply 11 of 20
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I don't care what you call it but Apple needs something

Whateveryouwannacallit Internet device - $549-479

Macbook- $999

Macbook Pro - 1299 Quad Core

I don't care how Apple does it but they need to hit these price bands.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Or 13" and really thin, oh yeah.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I don't care what you call it but Apple needs something

Whateveryouwannacallit Internet device - $549-479

Macbook- $999

Macbook Pro - 1299 Quad Core

I don't care how Apple does it but they need to hit these price bands.

It will be a tablet, and it will cost about $999. Why so much? Well it's that not much, really. Multi-touch OS X, SSD, extremely thin and light. Don't expect this to cost much less that $999, cause I believe it won't. What's more, that $999 model will be the base model, there will be a more expensive version with double the storage.

Apple will drop the "Pro" moniker from the MacBooks, they'll call all the MacBook Pros, simply "MacBook". They'll kill the plastic MacBook, and they'll introduce this new tablet - "Mac touch". The Mac touch will replace the MacBook, and the MacBook Pros will be renamed MacBook, and colors will be introduced.

/puts crystal ball away
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It will be a tablet, and it will cost about $999.

No body except for thoughtless early adopters would buy at that price. No matter how you look at them tablets do not have the functionality to effectively compete against laptops. Not the way I imagine them nor the way you do. The last thing Apple needs is another AIR that has sales that absolutely tank after the first three months when saner minds rule the wallet.

Quote:

Why so much? Well it's that not much, really. Multi-touch OS X, SSD, extremely thin and light.

It is way to much for the uses that a tablet would be targeted at. I'm fairly sure Apple will not target any tablet it does release at the general purpose computing market. They simply don't work well in those markets. Thus the need for uses and applications that don't encumber operation of the device.

Plus on such a device I/O would be minimal at best. You will have networking, Bluetooth and most likely a DOCK like connector and little else. Basically a fat iPod Touch with a more advanced operating system.

Quote:

Don't expect this to cost much less that $999, cause I believe it won't. What's more, that $999 model will be the base model, there will be a more expensive version with double the storage.

They won't be successful if they can't get the price down to around $500 for the base model, ideally less than that. I do agree that there has to be more than one version, massive storage would really help on this sort of device. Mostly for the storage and buffering of media files.

Quote:

Apple will drop the "Pro" moniker from the MacBooks, they'll call all the MacBook Pros, simply "MacBook". They'll kill the plastic MacBook, and they'll introduce this new tablet - "Mac touch".

Obviously if the tablet is part of the iPod Touch family this will never happen. Besides you underestimate the importance of the Mac Book to Apple and its education markets. There are very few college students that will be suckered into a tablet to do their papers on.

Quote:

The Mac touch will replace the MacBook, and the MacBook Pros will be renamed MacBook, and colors will be introduced.

/puts crystal ball away

I suspect your crystal ball is clouded by thunderstorms

Dave
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

No body except for thoughtless early adopters would buy at that price.

So you agree with me then. Sorted.

Waterford?
  • Reply 16 of 20
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    For apple, if they were worried about cannibalization of the MacBook, could do an ARM based netbook

Like the Always Innovating Touchbook. Only since it runs the iPhone OSX (and not Linux) it won't suck ass.

https://www.alwaysinnovating.com/touchbook/

Does everything a netbook does except runs MS Office...so I guess they'd have to add an ARM based iWork and maybe iLife.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I don't think it makes any sense to expect an Apple tablet to sell in netbook range. Netbooks are all about getting as cheap as possible. Just because Apple might make a device with a smaller screen doesn't mean they're going to be thinking in those terms.

I realize that a lot of people feel that Apple "needs" an offering to compete with netbooks, but I don't think Apple would see a tablet as that thing. That's just not how they roll. They'd be more likely to give a tablet some kind of hardware/software mojo (ridiculously thin or effective voice control or something), declare it magic and unprecedented and the beginning of an entirely new chapter in computing history, and price it accordingly.

Given the recent emptying out of the MacBook range, I could see them bringing out an entirely new line of cheaper laptops, maybe ranging from $699 to $999, and also bringing out the magic tablet game changer for substantially more than that.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I don't think it makes any sense to expect an Apple tablet to sell in netbook range. Netbooks are all about getting as cheap as possible.

I find the above statement to be rediculous. There is more to a netbook than cheap. I personally might find them appaling and over priced but that is me. The actual build quality can vary widely.

Quote:

Just because Apple might make a device with a smaller screen doesn't mean they're going to be thinking in those terms.

I don't expect them to be thinking in those terms at all either. Apple has clearly stated that they are not interested in competing with a netbook. That doesn't mean they will give up and throw the business for small devices away. This a tablet would have it's niche but it is also a netbook competitor.

Quote:

I realize that a lot of people feel that Apple "needs" an offering to compete with netbooks, but I don't think Apple would see a tablet as that thing.

It is obvious that any small tablet would end up doing battle against netbooks. Apples job is to deliver a distinguishing feature set that prevents being drawn to far into the conflict.

Quote:

That's just not how they roll. They'd be more likely to give a tablet some kind of hardware/software mojo (ridiculously thin or effective voice control or something), declare it magic and unprecedented and the beginning of an entirely new chapter in computing history, and price it accordingly.

Yes the device will be offered up as magic but it can't be priced high because it ignores reality. That reality is that similar products will effectively bracket the range of privlces that Apple can charge. Netbooks, iPod Touches and even Amazons e book readers prime people with pricing expectations. Sure they can pull an AIR and screw early adopters but after a bit people recognize the intrinsic value in a product. The last thing Apple needs is three good months of sales and then watch sales tank.

A tablet has to be carefully priced because there are competing alternatives.

Quote:

Given the recent emptying out of the MacBook range, I could see them bringing out an entirely new line of cheaper laptops, maybe ranging from $699 to $999, and also bringing out the magic tablet game changer for substantially more than that.

That would be very hard to justify for the wiser customer. Let's face it a tablet will be a reduced capacity machine realative to a laptop, even AIR. It will be that way because to be useful a tablet needs to be thin and light weight. That means minimal support for ports and other functionality not related to the devices primary task. This kinda paints Apple into a corner as the device doesn't have the functionality to justify the high price because it physically can't.

What I'm trying to get across is that there is no market for a one inch thick tablet whose weight is measured in pounds. Frankly the device needs to be less than one half inch thick and well under a pound in weight. The only exclusion here would be bumps or swells added to encourage a better grip. There won't be room for a floppy/harddisk/optical disk bay nor room for a lot of other traditional laptop features. Instead we will have a machine with thin PC boards and thin batteries.

Dave
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So you agree with me then. Sorted.

Well not exactly, maybe not even close. My point is that early adopters have never made for a successful product. Apple gas many examples here such as AIR and the Cube. It is the idea that three months of good sales can not assure a successful product. Three months being just about all the boost early adopters can provide for a product.

Quote:

Waterford?

Your handle is Ireland, I thought your crystal ball might have come from Waterford. Maybe you don't actually live in Ireland, I don't know but had this idea you did and thus would grasp the humor.

Dave
  • Reply 20 of 20
    undo redoundo redo Posts: 164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

New laptops at $699 to 999 would be great, especially if there's a smaller lighter one. I don't think a tablet would ever be priced higher than a laptop. I would expect a tablet to cost just a little more than an iPod touch; certainly no more than $500. But I don't expect Apple will offer a tablet computer. A slightly bigger iPod touch, maybe.