AT&T already sold out of launch day iPhone 3G S pre-orders

Comments

• Reply 121 of 190
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Well, not that long ago this site was considerably more community minded. Then a bunch of folks got pissed (long story) and started a different site.

At that time we didn't think of it as "a business", we thought of it as a community with a shared interest, and figured the owners of the domain were lucky to have such a dedicated, smart, interesting bunch making the discussion forums an attractive destination for Apple users.
  • Reply 122 of 190
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Very humble Addabox
  • Reply 123 of 190
    Not talking about myself, talking about the community. Why wouldn't think well of a group of folks I enjoyed talking to?
  • Reply 124 of 190
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Of course

Just poking at you
  • Reply 125 of 190
    dappledapple Posts: 44member
    AT&T is expected to make MMS and tethering avaiable to iPhone 3GS subscribers by the end of July, which gives them time to react with network improvements to what is anticipated to be a massive, yet unpredictable, amount of both iPhone 3GS sales and data downloads and uploads, IMO.

Don't forget that videos will be flowing onto the internet from iPhones and that those over the air iTunes sales of movies and other larger than normal data will be flowing onto iPhones as soon as June 19th.

Don't be surprised if AT&T dethrones Verizon before the Summer is over as having the most cellular subscribers, if not data plan or smart phone subscribers.
  • Reply 126 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Of course

Just poking at you

I richly deserve the occasional poke.
  • Reply 127 of 190
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dapple View Post

AT&T is expected to make MMS and tethering avaiable to iPhone 3GS subscribers by the end of July, which gives them time to react with network improvements to what is anticipated to be a massive, yet unpredictable, amount of both iPhone 3GS sales and data downloads and uploads, IMO.

Don't forget that videos will be flowing onto the internet from iPhones and that those over the air iTunes sales of movies and other larger than normal data will be flowing onto iPhones as soon as June 19th.

Don't be surprised if AT&T dethrones Verizon before the Summer is over as having the most cellular subscribers, if not data plan or smart phone subscribers.

• AT&T is currently behind Verizon by 8M subscribers as of the end of the March quarter numbers.

• That doesn’t include the 1.5M Altell subscribers that will be moving from Verizon to AT&T.

• That makes a difference of only 5M subscribers (if nothing else were to change)

• There are about two weeks left in this quarter after the iPhone 3GS launches.

Depending on how Verizon does and how much the bottom two carriers do, it seems quite possible for AT&T to get back on top by the end of the 3rd calendar quarter, but that would be an empty victory since Verizon will still have the better network.

The fact that AT&T won’t support MMS and tethering on the 3rd iPhone release is just poor management and planning somewhere. It’s not like these things would have come to a shock to them, but I still wonder what is so wrong that there other phones can support it but not on the iPhone.
  • Reply 128 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I richly deserve the occasional poke.

I suggest the more angry and negative posters here should get poked more often.
  • Reply 129 of 190
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

? That doesn?t the Altell 1.5M from Verizon that will be moving to AT&T.

What exactly does that say?
  • Reply 130 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Prolly just left out the "include", yeah?
  • Reply 131 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Nothing articulate or lucid, that?s for sure. I fixed it.
  • Reply 132 of 190
    Quote:

Prolly just left out the "include", yeah?

I did, but it was still a bit convoluted after that correction. I originally had it as a paragraph and thought it more clear as a bullet points. Somewhere along the way my rearranging went awry.

Moving on…

Any educated projections on opening weekend sales, 2nd calendar quarter iPhone sales for Apple and 2nd calendar quarter subscriber numbers for AT&T?
  • Reply 133 of 190
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Ok, I see.

It's late. I think I'll go to bed. I've just had a successful couple of hours on ebay, so I'm finished for now.
  • Reply 134 of 190
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    my order says prepared for shipping as well, so im going to take that as there is a nice little box in china somewhere with my name on it, im happy

now if i got it oh say tomorrow id be even happier but since that won't happen let the "shift refresh" on my order window begin!
  • Reply 135 of 190
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

Well, not that long ago this site was considerably more community minded. Then a bunch of folks got pissed (long story) and started a different site.

At that time we didn't think of it as "a business", we thought of it as a community with a shared interest, and figured the owners of the domain were lucky to have such a dedicated, smart, interesting bunch making the discussion forums an attractive destination for Apple users.

Good point. I started lurking just after the upheaval, so I have seen many references, but I did not live through what must have been an upsetting time.*

Still, that is sorta the natural way of things, isn't it? It is hard for an established business to hold onto its two-guys-in-a-garage, free spirited mojo... The band breaks up just after they start making money... [I had another example involving organized religion, but I don't want to upset anyone...]

*After reading over and over how much community was lost in the split, I did look into the other forum. I even joined. There the problem was there seemed to be little interest in welcoming new folks (even non-trolls) and every conversation was part of an inside joke. That is fine for long termers, but not so good for adding members...
  • Reply 136 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Good point. I started lurking just after the upheaval, so I have seen many references, but I did not live through what must have been an upsetting time.*

Still, that is sorta the natural way of things, isn't it? It is hard for an established business to hold onto its two-guys-in-a-garage, free spirited mojo... The band breaks up just after they start making money... [I had another example involving organized religion, but I don't want to upset anyone...]

*After reading over and over how much community was lost in the split, I did look into the other forum. I even joined. There the problem was there seemed to be little interest in welcoming new folks (even non-trolls) and every conversation was part of an inside joke. That is fine for long termers, but not so good for adding members...

Heh. All true enough. And I know what you mean about the other place, they're pretty tight.

Still, doesn't mean new communities can't be forged. There are plenty of interesting characters here these days, just like always. But there are also a lot of folks who seem awfully hostile to the very idea of such a forum as this, as if it should properly be a "computer user" site and any stated preference for the Mac platform is sorta suspect.

That aspect is very different. I don't know if that's happened at other Mac sites or not. Maybe it's an inevitable byproduct of Apple's increased market share and the iPhone. Have no idea.
  • Reply 137 of 190
    According to ATT, the two iphones I ordered Thursday have shipped with tracking numbers. I can't track using the numbers however.
  • Reply 138 of 190
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The fact that AT&T won?t support MMS and tethering on the 3rd iPhone release is just poor management and planning somewhere. It?s not like these things would have come to a shock to them, but I still wonder what is so wrong that there other phones can support it but not on the iPhone.

I believe that most, if not all, companies supported these services right from the beginning.

As we know, Jobs demanded that service providers lower their data plans in order to get exclusivity. As such, we saw a significantly lowered price for the "unlimited" data from AT&T at the launch of the iPhone in the US.

Obviously, AT&T's first report that the average iPhone user consumed approximately 100 MBs per month in the first year of launch help other countries determine the pricing structure for their data plans. Thus, as we have seen, most limited their plans in more 'realistic' usage terms.

It would appear also, that companies that provide unlimited data plans charge separately for MMS and tethering. Whereas those that limit data, include these services.

AT&T announced that these services would be available soon. They may come tomorrow or even 6 months from now. I can't or won't predict when, but I expect that, like their surprising 'lower than predicted' price plans at the launch of the first generation iPhone, that it will be less than what is being charged now. Unless?

?it just doesn't make good business sense.

What many also do not take into account, is the cost of providing "free" Wi-Fi. It isn't free. Sure for the user. However, for the payer, not. AT&T has, like other service providers, provide a directory of thousands of free Wi-Fi hotspots that are paid for by companies like some that I consult for. These companies do not have unlimited data plans, just like I don't have at home now with my internet services. As such, nobody can predict how much the new 3GS's, particularly with the increased functions of the new 3.0 software on it and the iPod touch, will have on Wi-Fi and its payers, let alone on the 3G network.

Interesting that some can denounce universal medicare and be such screamers for 'free' universal wireless.
  • Reply 139 of 190
    Just curious if Walmart is holding to the $199 price for the new iPhone or did they manage to work out a discount price w/ Apple?
  • Reply 140 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

my order says prepared for shipping as well, so im going to take that as there is a nice little box in china somewhere with my name on it, im happy

now if i got it oh say tomorrow id be even happier but since that won't happen let the "shift refresh" on my order window begin!

I received the UPS tracking # for my 32GB GS today showing it has left China.