Apple begins shipping first iPhone 3G S pre-orders

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Monday began shipping its new iPhone 3G S handsets to customers who were among the first to place their pre-orders last week following the handset's introduction at the company's annual developers conference.

"My 32GB black iPhone that I ordered the second I could on the Apple iPhone store has officially shipped," said AppleInsider forum member DiscoNomad. "I found out this morning via an email which included a tracking number."

The new iPhones, believed to be manufactured by Foxconn Electronics, are shipping out of Shenzhen, China, which is home to mainland China's second busiest port, ranking behind only Shanghai.

Although customers provided with shipping notifications weren't given a specific arrival date, Apple had promised delivery by this Friday, June 19th, the same day handsets go on sale nationwide at AT&T, Apple, Best Buy and Wal-Mart retail stores.

A quick check of the Apple Store appears to suggest that customers who place their pre-order today will still be eligible to receive their device on Friday. Prospective buyers should note, however, that orders placed online for new iPhones aren't easily manipulated given that each order is tied to an AT&T account.

Customers who wish to change the model of iPhone they've ordered may need to wait up to two business days to resubmit their order because it may take that long for AT&T to reset accounts as being eligible for upgrade or early upgrade pricing, some people have been told.

On Wednesday, just two days before iPhone 3G S will go on sale, Apple will release iPhone Software 3.0 for existing iPhone, iPhone 3G, and iPod touch users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 223
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    My 32GB black iPhone -- that I planned to order the second I could on the Apple iPhone store, but did not -- has officially not shipped. I found out this morning that my email did not include any tracking numbers.

Now, can I get a headline too, please?

(Seriously, congratulations, DiscoNomad -- you're famous!)
  • Reply 2 of 223
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Well I guess we know who's getting laid this Friday...
  • Reply 3 of 223
    tac22tac22 Posts: 20member
    Im excited and i might not even be getting one

I want to but i'm still debating

I have a ipod touch first gen and i use it so much there is just so many times were i tell myself wouldn't it be conveanient to get the internet here... and here... and here... plus the fact that i broke my phone last month and still haven't replaced it... hmm

Oh and i just downloaded the 3.0 software for free... the final firmware... im surprised its out, but im excited i didn't have to spend $10 on it, now i can go buy a few apps instead.

If anybody wants to download it now especial ipod touch users so you don't have to pay the money this youtube video works great http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7x2Hjuws4o
  • Reply 4 of 223
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tac22 View Post

If anybody wants to download it now especial ipod touch users so you don't have to pay the money this youtube video works great http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7x2Hjuws4o

Obtaining software that costs money for free is called piracy. Linking people to instructions showing how to get that software on a forum like this is called stupid.
  • Reply 5 of 223
    tac22tac22 Posts: 20member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Obtaining software that costs money for free is called piracy. Linking people to instructions showing how to get that software on a forum like this is called stupid.

Yea i guess your right huh, well that link i put up there is really just spam and it doesn't work and i didn't even try and do it \

hmm i am i more stupid then the people posting video tutorials?? or the sites with the download???
  • Reply 6 of 223
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Does the background gets more blurry if you tap the object in focus several times?

It looks like Apple is totally redefining the world of picture taking. They should take this further and offer iPod touches with high quality built in photographic lenses! Something that sets the iPod Touch truly apart from the iPhone, apart from the freedom of not having a data plan.
  • Reply 7 of 223
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    So Disco how was the sex with Bubba, you know the sex you had to get your iPhone shipped and then get on the front page?

Grr still waiting for my tracking number (I refused the sex without at least dinner first).
  • Reply 8 of 223
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    No tracking number yet from AT&T.
  • Reply 9 of 223
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

No tracking number yet from AT&T.

My order status says, "Prepared for shipment" but my credit card hasn't been charged and I haven't received a notice of shipment yet. Maybe by the end of the day/
  • Reply 10 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Does the background gets more blurry if you tap the object in focus several times?

In order to reduce the depth of field (i.e. making the out-of-focus objects blurrier) you must increase aperture. This would mean that the iPhone's camera would normally work at less than maximum aperture, which I don't think is the case ? or I don't see why it should be.

On the other hand, camera phones without autofocus work at a narrower aperture to increase the depth of field ? hence making focusing less problematic. With autofocus, the iPhone 3G S will hopefully not suffer from poor lighting due to narrow aperture.
  • Reply 11 of 223
    ajitmdajitmd Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

It looks like Apple is totally redefining the world of picture taking. They should take this further and offer iPod touches with high quality built in photographic lenses! Something that sets the iPod Touch truly apart from the iPhone, apart from the freedom of not having a data plan.

Very true... Apple could add value to the iTouch with the same camera and video functions. Enough to make people upgrade their iTouch. With a decent flash, it would be like a regular camera, but flah in not that important. Add a compass and GPS and we got real value. Maps would have to be stored with the application. Add Skype as needed.

The good part is no carrier involved in the upgrade.
  • Reply 12 of 223
    utsavautsava Posts: 53member
    Got a tracking # this morning. I ordered mine last Wednesday night.
  • Reply 13 of 223
    adamiigsadamiigs Posts: 355member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by utsava View Post

I have a feeling, more like a CUNNING PLAN, no ok it's a feeling, that they are processing East Coast orders first due to longer shipping times.

Would people that get their numbers post East, Central or West coast so we can see if I'm pretty smart at figuring out the obvious or I'm a blathering idiot? (or a little of both)

I'm cali and still no tracking number.
  • Reply 14 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

My 32GB black iPhone -- that I planned to order the second I could on the Apple iPhone store, but did not -- has officially not shipped. I found out this morning that my email did not include any tracking numbers.

Now, can I get a headline too, please?

(Seriously, congratulations, DiscoNomad -- you're famous!)

No kidding right I am super friggin famous now... I am gong to print out this article and put it on my fridge. I guess now I'll become one of those people who make an annoying youtube video of me breathing hard and unboxing another iphone.

DiscoNomad
  • Reply 15 of 223
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdb8167 View Post

My order status says, "Prepared for shipment" but my credit card hasn't been charged and I haven't received a notice of shipment yet. Maybe by the end of the day/

My order says preparing for shipment too. By the way, My debit card shows a hold equal to the price of the iPhone but they did not charge it yet. My experience with Apple is that they will charge it to you the moment they ship the product.
  • Reply 16 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by utsava View Post

Bah! I ordered mine last Tuesday Night, and mine is just In Progress still.
  • Reply 17 of 223
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DiscoNomad View Post

No kidding right I am super friggin famous now... I am gong to print out this article and put it on my fridge. I guess now I'll become one of those people who make an annoying youtube video of me breathing hard and unboxing another iphone.

DiscoNomad

Last week my website tracking service showed a visit from Apple.. I had it framed next to my diploma
  • Reply 18 of 223
    Mine says prepared for shipment. With the 2 day business shipping, I may get it by this Wednesday, June 17, 2009

------------------------------------

Prepared for Shipment

Product / Part No. \t \t

Unit Price

\t \t

Qty

\t \t

Ext. Price

IPHONE 3G S BLACK 32GB-USA

MB717LL/A

\t \t

$299.00

\t \t

\t \t

$299.00

Rate Plan:

No Voice Plan

Data Plan for iPhone ......... $30.00

- Data Plan for iPhone

200 ......... $5.00

- iPhone Text Messaging 200

Custom configuration

| Show Hide

With AT&T Rate Plan

\t\t\t\t\t\t

Ships: Delivers by June 19th
  • Reply 19 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamIIGS View Post

I have a feeling, more like a CUNNING PLAN, no ok it's a feeling, that they are processing East Coast orders first due to longer shipping times.

Would people that get their numbers post East, Central or West coast so we can see if I'm pretty smart at figuring out the obvious or I'm a blathering idiot? (or a little of both)

I'm cali and still no tracking number.

I'm in Texas and I still have "prepared for shipment" as status
  • Reply 20 of 223
    No I think everyone gets it on Friday. I talked to my UPS guy this morning at work and he said that they are adding extra people for the deliveries in the Bay Area.