University claims Apple's glossy screens may cause injury

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
An Australian University is warning its faculty and students about some potential adverse health effects of using Apple's notebook and other products with high gloss screens, saying prolonged use could lead to injury if precautionary measures aren't adopted.

The advisory, published a few months ago by Brisbane, Australia-based Queensland University of Technology on its Health and Safety website, specifically addresses Mac users with Apple 'glass' or high gloss monitor screens and urges them to assess the manner in which those products are positioned and used.

"Reflections and glare on high gloss monitor screens and their relation to the angle of the monitor screen, could cause the operator to adopt awkward postures when viewing the monitor screen and using related equipment," the advisory says. "These reflections on the screen can be from internal and external sources such as the overhead lighting and/or position of windows."

Queensland recommends that users of such products conduct an assessment of the area in which those products are to be used to ensure the sources of reflections and glare are eliminated or minimised to reduce the potential for injury. It advises users to close their blinds or window shades and place the glossy displays at a 90 degree angle to any overhead lighting to minimise glare and reflection.

The university even goes as far as to recommend that students and faculty consider not purchasing products with glossy displays. Those who must, however, are urged to consult with a "Facilities Management Lighting engineer to determine if overhead lighting can be modified e.g. tube removed and still provide adequate levels of light to enable reading, writing and screen based equipment work tasks to be performed."

Other recommendations for those who must use glossy displays include adjusting the contrast to a 'low brightness' setting, which the school says will increases readability for users of high gloss monitor screens with a glass surface.

Apple began offering glossy displays as an option on its high-end MacBook Pros a few years ago before making them standard on its redesigned aluminum iMac line (review) in the summer of 2007. While introducing its all-new line of unibody MacBooks (review) and MacBook Pros (review) last fall, the company announced that glossy displays would be the new standard for its notebook lines with no build-to-order option available for downgrading to a matte display.

An early generation MacBook Pro compared to one of the latest models sporting a high gloss display.

Apple's new 24-inch LED-lit Cinema Display (review) also sports a glossy screen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 335
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    I bought a replacement monitor (NEC Opticlear) with a glossy screen last year and I do find myself leaning to the left to avoid glare in the mornings from about 8am to 11am every day I use my computer. My chiropractor has even commented on how I lean to the left...something I did not do in the past.

I don't blame Apple any more than anyone else, but these glossy screens can impact your posture.

If I buy a Macbook Pro 13 inch this summer I will make sure to waste $30.00 on a matte screen "protector". I think it will protect me more than the screen.
  • Reply 2 of 335
    All I can say is: as if they didn't suck hard enough already. Now we've got proof (of sorts).
  • Reply 3 of 335
    cima113cima113 Posts: 12member
    Pifffft!! So sad... this is what they do at university?! Higher learning my @zz!
  • Reply 4 of 335
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    If anybody can supply peer-reviewed clinical evidence, please…

Now we know a lot of comments about Apples glossy screens are about to flood this site, it wouldn't hurt anybody to look at some of this university's other recommendations before commenting.

They even outline how you should was your hands, how armrests could be harmful and how to find out if the 'seat' pan is suitable for you. http://www.hrd.qut.edu.au/healthsafe...ely/chairs.jsp

\t\t
    • Health and Safety

• Working Safely at QUT \t\t

• Chairs and Sitting Well \t\t

• Children on Campus \t\t

• Communicable Diseases \t\t

• Counter Designs \t\t

• Executive Chairs \t\t

• First Aid \t\t

• Health and Safety Induction \t\t

• Health and Safety Reports \t\t

• High Gloss Monitors\t\t

• Legislation \t\t

• Policy \t\t

• Reporting an Incident \t\t

• Roles and Responsibilities \t\t

• Risk Assessment \t\t

• Safe Computer Use \t\t

• Safe Office Checklist \t\t

• SARS \t\t

• Sharps Disposal \t\t

• Smoking\t\t

• Sun Safety \t\t

• Template for Health and Safety Roles \t\t

• Travel Advice \t\t

• Unauthorised Animals on Campus \t\t

• WHSOs and WHSRs\t\t

• Workplace Harassment\t

• Lab Safety\t

• Health and Safety Audit System\t

• Staying Healthy at Work\t

• Training\t

• Rehabilitation\t

• Workers' Compensation

• Reply 5 of 335
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    The only question is why focus on Apple. These screens have been around for quite some time, as has the problems identified. It makes no sense not to issue a general comment. Why focus on any particular manufacturer?
  • Reply 6 of 335
    mechengitmechengit Posts: 133member
    Apple knows that glossy screen has glaring issues. How do I know? Because they have an anti-glare option for the 17" MacBook Pro. They just don't want to admit the issue because many ignorant consumers like the glossy screen.
  • Reply 7 of 335
    mtomto Posts: 16member
    Dam people! Stop whining so much. Grow a pair. Only a bunch of pussies will complain about their back hurting because of a shiny computer screen. This school should be putting their resources into more important things then a back ache because someone up there has a vendetta with Apple for not offering matte LCDs.

There are starving children out there, we are destroying our earth..... Nope let's waist money on trying to shame Apple into offering an anti-glair option on their portable computers...

And if you get a back ache that's fine just make one of your girlfriends rub your back.. Thats what their there for.
  • Reply 8 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

The only question is why focus on Apple. These screens have been around for quite some time, as has the problems identified. It makes no sense not to issue a general comment. Why focus on any particular manufacturer?

They mad cause they don't have a iPhone 3G S. In the hood we call them, Haters!
  • Reply 9 of 335
    Quote:

First, Apple fans should have much higher standard for Apple compared to other brands. Lowering the bar just to entertain the consumers is not what Apple fans should expect from Apple and Apple fans should be angry about that. Second, you're on an Apple fan site.
  • Reply 10 of 335
    jroyjroy Posts: 29member
    Yes, it would be good if Apple extended the matte screen options to 15 and 13" Macbooks and Apple monitors. Has anyone compared the matte film add-ons to the native matte option on the 17" Mac? If it hasn't happened already, it's time for someone to publish such a comparison on several dimensions (brightness, sharpness, viewing angle, etc.). If a matte film provides a high-quality non-glare display, then we need to know about it.
  • Reply 11 of 335
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Is it just a coincidence that the dean’s brother-in-law sells anti-glare covers for computer monitors?
  • Reply 12 of 335
    nchianchia Posts: 124member
    OMG, what a bunch of morons... Have they got outlines how to wipe their backsides so as not to strain their backs as well?
  • Reply 13 of 335
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,415member
    So in essence it's not the glossy screen that causes damage it's the moron that adapts a non ergonomic position that precedes the damage.
  • Reply 14 of 335
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mechengit View Post

First, Apple fans should have much higher standard for Apple compared to other brands. Lowering the bar just to entertain the consumers is not what Apple fans should expect from Apple and Apple fans should be angry about that. Second, you're on an Apple fan site.

So you're saying the University is an Apple Fan on this Site????
  • Reply 15 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MTO View Post

Dam people! Stop whining so much. Grow a pair. Only a bunch of pussies will complain about their back hurting because of a shiny computer screen. This school should be putting their resources into more important things then a back ache because someone up there has a vendetta with Apple for not offering matte LCDs.

There are starving children out there, we are destroying our earth..... Nope let's waist money on trying to shame Apple into offering an anti-glair option on their portable computers...

And if you get a back ache that's fine just make one of your girlfriends rub your back.. Thats what their there for.

No need to shame Apple. Apple already has the anti-glare option ONLY for the 17" Macbook Pro. This goes to show that Apple acknowledges the glaring issue of the glossy screen already and does not want to admit it because bunch of ignorant consumers like the glossy screen.
  • Reply 16 of 335
    Quote:

So you're saying the University is an Apple Fan on this Site????

Nope, all I'm saying is that it is rightful for Appleinsider to report this news and it is reasonable for Apple fans to take serious about the fact that Apple has lowered the bar just to entertain the consumers, especially when Apple obviously acknowledge the glaring issue! Responding to your "why focus on Apple", I don't see why Appleinsider needs to pick on issues from other brand names.
  • Reply 17 of 335
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mechengit View Post

Apple knows that glossy screen has glaring issues. How do I know? Because they have an anti-glare option for the 17" MacBook Pro. They just don't want to admit the issue because many ignorant consumers like the glossy screen.

If the glare was such an issue then why is it only on the 17?. Why is it only an option? Why do customers like it more if it?s such a problem?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

So in essence it's not the glossy screen that causes damage it's the moron that adapts a non ergonomic position that precedes the damage.

Off to a fun week.
  • Reply 18 of 335
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Are matte displays so hard?
  • Reply 19 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MTO View Post

This issue won't go away, no matter how much you try to gloss it over.

//Yes, I was just waiting for an opening to say that.
  • Reply 20 of 335
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    I'm hoping to add "Matte Screens" to the list of things apple has taken away from us only to give back sometime later to huge applause.