University claims Apple's glossy screens may cause injury

Comments

• Reply 41 of 335
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

downgrading to a matte display.

No, AI got this wrong, that should be 'upgrading' to a Matte display. I have a unibody 13" and the screen sucks. It's shocking how prone the screen is to getting dirty and the reflections are nothing less than apalling if you have a source of strong light behind you.
  • Reply 42 of 335
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    On reflection, companies held up to the mirror of scrutiny should never gloss over issues like this.
  • Reply 43 of 335
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Gloss vs Matte is a matter of user preference, not ergonomics! I prefer a glossy laptop and a matte monitor. Should I see a shrink?
  • Reply 44 of 335
    mechengitmechengit Posts: 133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It seems to me that a company should try to give consumers what they want.

What the consumers want can be easily educated, or even manipulated. When the iPhone came out, most people had doubt that they could ever type fast on a software keyboard. Many people that I know of who used to be Blackberry/Treo fans are now fans of software keyboard. Giving in whatever the consumers demand does not necessarily bring success. Educate what the consumer should need by providing/creating a different technology is also a proven strategy.
  • Reply 45 of 335
    rhowarthrhowarth Posts: 144member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mechengit View Post

You ignored the obvious. If there is no glare issue on the glossy screen, why bother providing an anti-glare then?

A large number of consumers, if not most consumers, are ignorant. Period.

All I can say is I was somewhat worried when I bought my current 15" MacBook Pro, not having had a glossy screen before. Given the choice, I would have gone for matte. But given that I had no choice, I can honestly say that that the fact that it's glossy hasn't bothered me ONCE in the months since I've had it, it's only when I read articles like this that I'm even conscious of it!

I don't know if that makes me ignorant. I'm a software developer and not a graphic designer so I don't do professional colour matching but if I did I would probably buy a CRT rather than an LCD display, matte or otherwise.

-Rolf
  • Reply 46 of 335
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

You ignored the obvious. If there is no glare issue on the glossy screen, why bother providing an anti-glare then?

A large number of consumers, if not most consumers, are ignorant. Period.

Why only on the 17" for the anti-glare option? We need to know that the 17" model is the high-end model. People who tend to buy the 17" are more likely to be more aware and intelligent about the screen quality compared to the mainstream consumers, like most consumers are happy with their 6-bit TN screen.

You make some very unusual statements:

— People who buy larger notebooks tend to be less ignorant than people who buy smaller notebooks.

— People who buy the 17” MBP are most likely buying the plastic-screened version.

Neither one of those rings true to me. Do you have anything to back your previous statement? There seems to be evidence that supports the use of both types of displays. Stating that someone is ignorant for preferring the type you don’t care for is, in itself, ignorant.
  • Reply 47 of 335
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Are matte displays so hard?

No.

Are Apple so stubborn? Yes.
  • Reply 48 of 335
    retroneoretroneo Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

This comes form a country, where crocks, and sharks can kill and eat you, more people are stung by jellyfish, where a kangaroo could kick your ass, and more people die in cars because of impact with kangaroo

Hahaha.... Tell me you're joking

(Still awake in Melbourne)
  • Reply 49 of 335
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You nailed it.

And you nailed his nailing of it.
  • Reply 50 of 335
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;1433076]An Australian University is warning its faculty and students about some potential adverse health effects of using Apple's notebook

"Reflections and glare on high gloss monitor screens and their relation to the angle of the monitor screen, could cause the operator to adopt awkward postures... It advises users to close their blinds or window shades...to minimise glare and reflection."

Better do what they say, because looking out your windows is even more unhealthy. Even better- live in a dark basement or even a prison! Think I'll go watch TV-no can't do that either...Come to think of it, I can't use my contacts or my glasses! I can't even look at my favorite framed pictures anymore?
  • Reply 51 of 335
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

What the consumers want can be easily educated, or even manipulated.

You crack me up dude. You're saying Apple should force-feed matte screens on everybody because they know what's best for us. Well, as was stated above matte v. glossy is a matter of preference. You can make a glossy screen matte by slapping a filter on it, but you can't make a matte screen glossy with a filter (without losing all the benefits of glossy anyway) Seems to me the obvious/best solution is to make them with glossy screens and let the small percentage that prefer matte turn them into matte screens.
  • Reply 52 of 335
    ogmanogman Posts: 5member
    This is nothing compared to the damage done by glossy pages in over-priced textbooks. I encourage students to avoid buying textbooks.
  • Reply 53 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Where was this study when we had glossy CRT monitors and standard TV sets years back? I even remember using glossy monitor filters at that time.

The difference with CRTs is that few had perfectly flat screens, so reflections were more diffused than the flat, mirror-like LCD monitors we use today. Most high-end displays had anti-glare coatings.

I really fail to see why Apple so far refuses to offer a matte screen option for the rest of the MacBook Pro line. Especially the 15", which is/was (until the 13" was renamed) the most popular model.

Workstation ergonomics ARE important. The quality and adjustability of your chair. Keyboard and mouse positioning. Position of your display in relation to non-adjustable elements like overhead lighting and windows. All these things contribute to comfort, fighting repetitive stress injuries, eye problems and productivity.

As far as the display goes, it's simply not practical or possible for everyone to reconfigure their workspace to fight glare. And when traveling with a laptop, conditions are even more unpredictable.

Sure, many people either don't care or prefer a glossy screen. For many others, it's more than just a cosmetic choice.
  • Reply 54 of 335
    andigandig Posts: 2member
    I think the discussion will never end.

So for my part, I got myself a matte 17 MBP, IMHO the best laptop screen I've ever had.

We can't reply to the question if glossy/glassy is bad for the eyes - it may take years, like smoking. You know there are lots of people that keep telling you that smoking isn't bad for your health...
  • Reply 55 of 335
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Are matte displays so hard?

Can a matte screen be created using some sort of material like the recyclable glass Apple now uses for it's monitor screens and that Apple touts make's it's computer so environmentally friendly?

If the screens can't be made from some sort of material that can be recyclable, then as long as Apple has that environmentalist wacko Al Gore on their Board of Directors, then forget about it!
  • Reply 56 of 335
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

If people really hated them that much don't you think the MacBook would be a horrible sales flop?

I'm sure Apple has done the cost/benefit analysis. Matte displays would require more overhead, better supply chain management, and more retail space (eg., many Apple stores currently show both glossy and matte 17" MBPs and stock both items). That doesn't mean matte displays aren't desirable by many customers, on 13- and 15-inch laptops as well as the new 24-inch display.

I would like to upgrade one of my MBPs, but IMHO Apple blew it by going all-glossy in the 15" size and now by downgrading to SATA 1. In case you've never tried it, an SSD makes a world of difference in a laptop, and SSDs are getting cheaper/more practical every month. The SSD I have in an MBP is only running at half speed, but it's running as fast as it would in any new 15" MBP. I feel no compelling need to "upgrade", especially when my old MBPs have matte displays.

Disclaimer: I have no investments in any manufacturers of computer hardware or software.
  • Reply 57 of 335
    I hate the glossy screens. As a MacBook Pro owner, I was glad there was the option to buy a new MacBook Pro with the anti-glare screen last year. I wonder what I'll do in a few years when I need to upgrade and all Apple offers is the glossy screens. I remember buying addon anti-glare screens that clipped onto the monitor or laptop when the manufacturers hadn't perfected the anti-glare screen as standard equipment.

I guess Apple is moving us backwards in the quest to make video look better on their products. I guess the anti-glare screen addon manufacturers are very happy about this turn of events.
  • Reply 58 of 335
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    ...this is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
  • Reply 59 of 335
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Of course this is all CYA on the university's part. When the first disability lawsuit is filed they'll be able to point to these documents and say, "We warned you." Don't sue us. Sue the display manufacturers. Actually I'm dumbfounded that such a lawsuit isn't already out there somewhere. There probably is and it hasn't made the blogs yet. I read somewhere that 50% of the price of a stepladder these days is for liability coverage.
  • Reply 60 of 335
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Have you ever seen a university computer lab that was ergonomically correct? I seriously doubt it.

Once again, people refuse to take responsibility for their own actions. Let's blame a widget because I refuse to sit correctly in an upright position with a straight back. Why not blame the chair? Or the table? Surely it can't be that the only exercise those folks get is whacking their wrist left-to-right to get that mouse moving? I've rarely seen a student that didn't slouch on a chair with enough opening to slide a person through their chair.

Let's spin some more baseless accusations:

95% of those students with problems drink water during the day - Let's ban daytime water drinking. They are over-hydrating themselves causing their backs to bend unnaturally in the chair due to the liquid shifting in their stomach which only becomes apparent using a glossy-screened, Apple-branded computer.

100% of those students walk to their classrooms - let's mandate high-end walking shoes. The skeletal strain of flip-flops and sandals are compressing their spinal discs causing said bad posture which only becomes apparent using a glossy-screened, Apple-branded computer.

85% use the bathroom in the morning - It has been determined that the urinals are not at the necessary elevation to properly relieve oneself. Too short and they have to slouch, proving the bad posture which only becomes apparent using a glossy-screened, Apple-branded computer. Too high a urinal results in enlarged calf-muscles causing student to hit ceiling after a bouncy walk.

53% received paper-cuts in class - sue the paper company. Diseased fingers causes over-compensation with mouse fingers that only becomes apparent when - - - using a glossy screened Apple-branded computer.

100% marketing research companies are too lazy to do actual reporting - Ok... ya got me on that one!

Shoot, I spilled coffee on my lap and got burned! I'll sue McDonalds (again) since they should have warned me that coffee is hot and can burn! But then again, it happened when I was using a glossy-screened, Apple-branded computer and the reflection of my boss looking over my shoulder caused me to over-react! I can sue Apple too!

And for the record, I've used glossy iMacs since they came out. Never, ever had a problem. I'm not saying there is no problem for some people but that can be said for just about any product out there. Grow a spine people - pun intended.