University claims Apple's glossy screens may cause injury

Comments

• Reply 121 of 335
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mechengit View Post

So you're telling me that the 6-bit TN screen is a preference for others?

Preference, no, viable choice because of cost, yes. People usually don?y buy exactly what they want, they buy what they want within their price range. I am well aware of the differences in display types, but the desire for a 13? display outweighed my desire for higher-end display. I guess my lack of whining about not having a 13? MB with non-glossy IPS display makes me ignorant.

PS: 1280x800 is fine for me, too.
  • Reply 122 of 335
    mechengitmechengit Posts: 133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

3) You’ve missed the point that we’re all saying that choice is great, while you are stating over and over that choosing glossy means you’re ignorant. Oh wait, you say most, not all, so I guess that qualifier gives you an out. One of those “present company excluded" comments so you can say that you didn’t mean anyone here.

Taking several quotes out from me only goes to show that your understanding of "choosing glossy means being ignorant" is based on your own deduction.
  • Reply 123 of 335
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Turns out previous generations of Macs, the Glossy outsold Matte by 10 to 1. I can see why they dropped it. It costs too much to leave a little used option in the product line.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...op,2130-4.html
  • Reply 124 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Undo Redo View Post

This and no Firewire on the MacBook have been among Apple's most controversial issues. Apple listened on the Firewire issue. I hope they will on this.

So does whining work? I will say yes.
  • Reply 125 of 335
    undo redoundo redo Posts: 164member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ulfoaf View Post

it might save your life.

No but it might have me buying a Mac again.
  • Reply 126 of 335
    I thought this was appleinsider not the onion.
  • Reply 127 of 335
    ddubres79ddubres79 Posts: 101member
    Well sure people love the glassy/glossy but for decades people have also enjoyed the sweet sickness of Marlboro that causes lung/mouth cancer and Alcohol that kills your liver.

Just because the pusher gives the masses what they want doesn't mean it is good for them in the long run.

* This post was meant as both sarcasm and a jab at Apple's new consumer base.
  • Reply 128 of 335
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Ridiculous.

The gloss issue has been completely exaggerated, and has remained so since Apple introduced glossy screens.

Nearly ALL displays on the market today have glossy screens. And the average user doesn't seem to give a sweet damn one way or the other. But I suppoose it's a backhanded compliment that Apple is mentioned specifically. Speaks to the growing use of Apple notebooks. Very good.

I'd actually prefer a glossy screen for general use. Colours look much richer and deeper (especially blacks), and overall it's more attractive, and much easier to clean, too. But my Sammy SyncMaster TOC T240 is such a beauty that I can live with no gloss for the time being.
  • Reply 129 of 335
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Guys, I just got back from the hospital. They said the screen on my lappy has caused severe nerve damage in my spine and they have to amputate.
  • Reply 130 of 335
    indiekidukindiekiduk Posts: 381member
    I think it is pretty shocking of Apple to sell inferior glare screens and then charge $50 for matte which they now call anti-glare. I expect we will see $50 anti-glare screens across the range soon.
  • Reply 131 of 335
    if only matte screens could pop colors...
  • Reply 132 of 335
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:

Apple knows that glossy screen has glaring issues. How do I know? Because they have an anti-glare option for the 17" MacBook Pro. They just don't want to admit the issue because many ignorant consumers like the glossy screen.

So someone who likes these screens is now ignorant, basically, because they don't share your personal views?

Grow up.
  • Reply 133 of 335
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Oh god - it was terrible - the glare from my screen was coming right at me? what was I to do?

I have both - although on the glossy it was a refurb and I would have chosen it if there was a matte option at the time.

Yes there is a bit of glare - but the glare causing injury? Yes I read about the guy with the left leaning chiropractic deal - but come on - maybe it wasn't the glare but hours spent staring at a computer screen that causes strain?

and how severe or damaging or permanent is this "injury" - now if someone's laptop caught fire then I could see the use of the word "injury"

then again the laptop problem could occur even when operated in the safest possible manner.

Glossy screen is not an engineering defect.

am I rambling? hmm could be - I tend to do that sometime - oh well.
  • Reply 134 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tt92618 View Post

So someone who likes these screens is now ignorant, basically, because they don't share your personal views?

Grow up.

Wow... can people even read these days? Is this the "broad, sweeping generalization" that someone is refering to?

"...because many ignorant consumers like the glossy screen." DOES NOT MEAN "whoever like these glossy screens are ignorant"
  • Reply 135 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Guys, I just got back from the hospital. They said the screen on my lappy has caused severe nerve damage in my spine and they have to amputate.

So you're getting a firmware update.
  • Reply 136 of 335
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    I can understand the problem with high gloss displays. Most workers have zero control over the lighting in their workplace and therefore cannot avoid reflections.

I just picked up my iPod touch and confirmed what I thought when reading this thread: I never hold it so it directly faces me. I've always got it at some angle that yields the fewest unwanted reflections. I sit in a corner in my office so I can point it into a relatively dark area. On the train it's much harder to deal with light coming in the windows and people with bright shirts so I usually keep it in my bag and just listen to music.

In order to avoid reflections with a notebook computer you may have to turn the entire machine, including keyboard, to an angle. I don't know about you, but I don't like trying to type on diagonal keyboards.

Many older matte Apple displays were awful. They were dull, lifeless and a bit blurry. The last generation of matte cinema and notebook displays overcame those problems so I personally saw no need to move to glossy.

If they insist on putting a layer of glass over the display then they should try to use something that cuts the glare. Museums and art galleries have special glass that offers excellent clarity and color accuracy without glare. I'm sure it's expensive, but Apple is a premium price brand.
  • Reply 137 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by indiekiduk View Post

I think it is pretty shocking of Apple to sell inferior glare screens and then charge $50 for matte which they now call anti-glare. I expect we will see $50 anti-glare screens across the range soon.

How are glossy screens "inferior" exactly?
  • Reply 138 of 335
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:

Again, you missed my point. Apple chose to lower the bar to cut down cost when they chose not to use the glossy screen that could have less glare than the one on current Macbook Pro, just like they did with the TN display.

I don't think that is true at all. Do you have some evidence to support that, or is that merely your personal view? Please provide some evidence that a glossy screen is less expensive to manufacture than a matte screen. As a matter of fact, please recognize that lurking beneath the glossy glass front of an iMac is a normal old matte display. So, unit per unit, how would the additional manufacturing step and the additional materials required for the glass pane be 'cost cutting'?
  • Reply 139 of 335
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I can understand the problem with high gloss displays. Most workers have zero control over the lighting in their workplace and therefore cannot avoid reflections.

I just picked up my iPod touch and confirmed what I thought when reading this thread: I never hold it so it directly faces me. I've always got it at some angle that yields the fewest unwanted reflections. I sit in a corner in my office so I can point it into a relatively dark area. On the train it's much harder to deal with light coming in the windows and people with bright shirts so I usually keep it in my bag and just listen to music.

In order to avoid reflections with a notebook computer you may have to turn the entire machine, including keyboard, to an angle. I don't know about you, but I don't like trying to type on diagonal keyboards.

Many older matte Apple displays were awful. They were dull, lifeless and a bit blurry. The last generation of matte cinema and notebook displays overcame those problems so I personally saw no need to move to glossy.

If they insist on putting a layer of glass over the display then they should try to use something that cuts the glare. Museums and art galleries have special glass that offers excellent clarity and color accuracy without glare. I'm sure it's expensive, but Apple is a premium price brand.

Currrent Apple glossy displays are already low-glare.
  • Reply 140 of 335
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Apple, please bring back:

- Matte screen.

- Startup key on the keyboard.

Thanks.