OS X Server & MySQL

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is it true that OS X Server comes with MySQL preinstalled? If so where and how do I get it up an running?

(Yes I have RTFM, I need some Jaguar Server specifics)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    It says it does, but I was never able to get it running. I recommend taking a look at <a href="http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/"; target="_blank">Marc Liyanage's site</a> for some top-notch instructions on how to install MySQL on Mac OS X (including server).

[ 10-02-2002: Message edited by: Ringo ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Yep I never saw it either in my default install.

I used Marc Liyanage's package(s) also - have been for over a year. He does only top-notch work (never had a problem yet) and he gets out updated packages usually the day after the app gets updated.

Five stars all the way on entropy.ch - Marc is awesome.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    So true: marc liyanage, you gotta love that guy...
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I used his package as well, but just this week I lost contact with my databases.. I'm not certain what the problem is yet though.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Code Master:

<strong>I used his package as well, but just this week I lost contact with my databases.. I'm not certain what the problem is yet though.</strong><hr></blockquote>

i used his stuff as well, but never could get connected to the db. bummer.
  • Reply 6 of 9

<strong>I used his package as well, but just this week I lost contact with my databases.. I'm not certain what the problem is yet though.</strong><hr></blockquote>

What error message do you get when you try to connect. Can you see the MySQL daemon running (using top or process viewer)?

If you don't follow the directions he gives you can end up with problems. You might have to do a database dump if you are installing over an existing database (of your grant privilege tables too).

If you restart your machine you either need to install the additional startup item he has or restart MySQL from the command line.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I'm not certain what went wrong, but the sql daemon must have crashed because I had to reboot for some other reason and my server was running again.. how do you restart the daemon in the command line? I tried what I thought were the commands from the entropy site but kept getting errors like:

can't connect through port /temp/sql

or something like that.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I had an older mysql package installed which died when I updated to Jaguar. I installed this latest package and now mysql works, but my old tables were gone.

I looked at /usr/local/ and, as I expected, found two mysql directories with different versions. The older versions data/ subfolder still had my old databases.

I didn't import them, in fact I just deleted the old install completely. But you may be should to import yours if this is in fact your problem.
  • Reply 9 of 9

<strong>I'm not certain what went wrong, but the sql daemon must have crashed because I had to reboot for some other reason and my server was running again.. how do you restart the daemon in the command line? I tried what I thought were the commands from the entropy site but kept getting errors like:

can't connect through port /temp/sql

or something like that.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yep you are right - that error is an indication that it simply isn't running. I think it is actually a socket error (I forget off hand but I think it is "can't connect to sock /tmp/mysql" or some such.) By default the errors you receive if you can connected but are having other issues will inform you what the exact issue is (like a privilege error for instance).

To start the daemon:

From the terminal do a cd to the mysql installation directory and start the daemon (I think that will restart it too? Can't remember that either!) using:

./bin/safe_mysqld &

you might want to start it up as the user "mysql" if you followed in install instructions, and so would use the -u and -p flags.

[ 10-07-2002: Message edited by: The Pie Man ]</p>