Apple says iPhone 3G S pre-orders will be filled on time

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I pre-ordered mine from ATT.com on the 9th, and it's still "in progress". What's odd is that the $318 authorization I had on my debit card disappeared a few days ago. Should I be worried?
  • Reply 22 of 44
    Mine is expected to be delivered on June 17...
  • Reply 23 of 44
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Tonight I am going to rebuild my current 3G phone, whose back panel almost shattered when it dropped from my truck to the concrete. Of course if I am unsuccessful, I guess I will be buying a new phone. Otherwise, I will pass on this 3G s model and wait until next year.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    FYI- Don't freak out like I just did when you get an email from Apple w/ a delivery date of say, the 22nd, like mine had. When you check the UPS tracking number, it will probably show a delivery date that is much better (at least if you live near a UPS hub like I do)...

From Apple:

Shipment Date: Jun 16, 2009 Delivers by: Jun 22, 2009

From UPS: Your package is on time with a scheduled delivery date of 06/17/2009.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ldg8 View Post

I was told by my area Apple Store that there will be separate lines for pre-orders and regular retail buyers. Pre-orders will be filled first.

There will be 2 lines:

1 for those paying $199 and $299

and the other line marked for fools.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LiamNYC View Post

Any word on separate lines / lack of lines for those who pre-ordered the phone for in-store pick-up at the Apple Store?

my guess is two lines. one for those that reserved (and their names will be on a set aside phone or something) and one for those that didn't. and they will just take the next person from each group. it's not likely that the 'chance it' group will be that big since the only way to be sure to get the phone you want is to reserve it.

I have heard from several places that preorders are only good on the 19th. if you don't pick it up then, the stores can release the phone on the 20th.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    Ordered the phone from att.com on 6/9/09 and I called for status update, it said it was on backorder.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    ohernanohernan Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rahul910 View Post

Ordered the phone from att.com on 6/9/09 and I called for status update, it said it was on backorder.

I order mine from att.com on the 12th, just called to check status and it said it will ship by the end of the next business day. It was for a 32gb phone.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    rectbirectbi Posts: 1member
    Preordered mine as well........my first iphone! The Curve I've been using is failing, and I've been frustrated with the cruddy internet experience on the phone. I'm a little nervous about getting used to typing on the iPhone, but I do more reading than typing, and when I do the latter its usually short text messages rather than lengthy emails, so I'll probably be ok.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    jkozjkoz Posts: 48member
    Preordered a black 32GB 3GS from apple.com. Still says "Delivers by June 19" and is currently preparing for shipment. The Crystal Film covers that I ordered with it have apparently shipped already (not surprised as they're not really a brand new item). Really hoping that it delivers by Friday because I'm moving on Sunday back to school...
  • Reply 31 of 44
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkoz View Post

Preordered a black 32GB 3GS from apple.com. Still says "Delivers by June 19" and is currently preparing for shipment. The Crystal Film covers that I ordered with it have apparently shipped already (not surprised as they're not really a brand new item). Really hoping that it delivers by Friday because I'm moving on Sunday back to school...

HA! I ordered the crystal film too--before I read about the oleophobic screen. I probably would have waited befor I bought it, but it is already in my hand.

FYI I also ordered the 32 black (on the 8th at 5:15PM EST) and it is also preparing to ship...
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

HA! I ordered the crystal film too--before I read about the oleophobic screen. I probably would have waited befor I bought it, but it is already in my hand.

FYI I also ordered the 32 black (on the 8th at 5:15PM EST) and it is also preparing to ship...

Oh damn! I didn't read about that until you just mentioned it. Oh well. It'll help with scratches, I had a couple on my 2G after having it for two months and that didn't make me happy.

I ordered it yesterday afternoon (15th) around 12PM EST after figuring out with my finances that it would work. Especially after realizing that if I sell my 16GB 2G that I can probably get close to, if not the money I paid for the 32GB 3GS.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jkoz View Post

Oh well. It'll help with scratches, I had a couple on my 2G after having it for two months and that didn't make me happy.

This will be my first iPhone, so I don't really know what to expect from the screen in terms of scratching. I think I read that the new screen is more scratch resistant, but I cannot remember for sure.

I guess it would be stupid to wait before putting the screen cover on to see if the screen scratches. If it didn't, then I just wasted my money and if it did then I just wasted my money and scratched up my screen.

Anybody else have screen protection advice/opinions?
  • Reply 35 of 44
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

This will be my first iPhone, so I don't really know what to expect from the screen in terms of scratching. I think I read that the new screen is more scratch resistant, but I cannot remember for sure.

I guess it would be stupid to wait before putting the screen cover on to see if the screen scratches. If it didn't, then I just wasted my money and if it did then I just wasted my money and scratched up my screen.

For peace of mind get a screen protector and a appropriate case for your iPhone 3G/S. You'll thank me later. You can always take it out later if you want to "free it up" from time to time.

Otherwise, just InvisibleShield it. http://www.zagg.com/

• Reply 36 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

For peace of mind get a screen protector and a appropriate case for your iPhone 3G/S. You'll thank me later. You can always take it out later if you want to "free it up" from time to time.

Otherwise, just InvisibleShield it. http://www.zagg.com/

Would you say that this is better than what we just bought?

If yes: Can we return what we've just bought?
  • Reply 37 of 44
    I ordered one just hours after the keynote and Its now a day before release...still no email with shipping confirmation and my apple order page still says prepared for shipment. doesnt seem like I will be getting mine on time...
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by silentshout View Post

I ordered one just hours after the keynote and Its now a day before release...still no email with shipping confirmation and my apple order page still says prepared for shipment. doesnt seem like I will be getting mine on time...

I am in the same boat. There must be other people in the same situation. Did you try calling them to find out what was going on? I sat on hold for a half hour yesterday before giving up. Might try again this morning.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    ebolagpebolagp Posts: 28member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by erik3306 View Post

I am in the same boat. There must be other people in the same situation. Did you try calling them to find out what was going on? I sat on hold for a half hour yesterday before giving up. Might try again this morning.

ok, so I have a question for you guys... I preordered two phones from ATT on 6/11, but they are still "in progress" and I an pretty sure at this point that they will not make it to my house before next Monday.

Now, this would not generally be an issue, but I am heading out of town for a couple of weeks and will not be able to get it. ATT customer service told me that they cannot cancel the order at this time.

So... What is to stop me from going to an Apple store this weekend and picking up a pair of phones and then returning the ATT phones to an ATT store when they arrive. My credit card has not been charged for the ATT preorders and the ATT website still shows me as being eligible for upgrade pricing... (all this assumes, of course, that the Apple store doesn't sell out of phones before I can get there...)
  • Reply 40 of 44
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

The iPhone screen does not scratch. At least, not in any imaginable usage scenario.

I've had both the 2G and 3G as long as they've existed, never used a screen protector, dropped them plenty of times, and the screen is immaculate.

No reason to worry about scratches. ITS GLASS.