Iphone 3g or 3gs?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I'm having a hard time deciding? Money is not a problem, but i'm trying to justify whether or not it's worth it to spend more to obtain the 3gs. I'm fully aware of the difference and it's difference i'm willing to live with if i choose to get a iphone 3g, but is it a wise decision? Usually it wouldn't be this hard for me to decide, but i'm not the only who may suffer with any short comings. My fiancee is deciding to switch with me too since we are on a family plan and her whole family is on verizon. If it were just me i'm bringing along then i would just get the 16gig iphone 3g and be done with it. Thinking for two is totally different cause with females especially my wife-to-be i will have to hear the complaints.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    The $100 upfront price difference is a drop in the bucket compared to the roughly $1600 cost of service over a two year contract, so I wouldn't hesitate to go with the 3G S.

Might be worth it to wait till it's in store so you can see how much difference the Snappy? makes, though.

Of course, if AT&T decides to offer a cheaper data plan to go with the 3G, that's another matter. But we haven't heard any word of that to date, and of course you'd still have to decide is the inevitable restrictions such a plan would entail would be worth it for you.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    yeah... seeing as the difference in TOTAL cost is so small, I'd have a hard time buying anything other than the latest and greatest. No telling what apps will come out that you might find useful, but that rely on the compass or the new camera... (or perhaps even the "faster" CPU that it seems to have... though not yet confirmed.)
  • Reply 3 of 10
    i may just wait and try to catch a iphone 3g cheap on ebay. To avoid being locked into two years with AT&T, there are heavy rumors of verizon getting the iphone and the WWDC keynote was a great predictor of that. Although i didn't think the way the keynote speakers at the conference, when referencing AT&T's lack of tethering and mms support until later on, was that terrible they still did it in a not so fashionable way. That could be a strong indication of things to come.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Et voilÃ*. The very first result of Apple's brave marketing is here.

Customer is completely confused.
    1. Video of exceptional quality

2. Presumably better radio sensitivity

3. Presumably longer battery life

Are those worth $100 + prospects of staying with a bit lame AT&T network?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by needaMAC View Post

I'm having a hard time deciding? Money is not a problem, but i'm trying to justify whether or not it's worth it to spend more to obtain the 3gs. I'm fully aware of the difference and it's difference i'm willing to live with if i choose to get a iphone 3g, but is it a wise decision? Usually it wouldn't be this hard for me to decide, but i'm not the only who may suffer with any short comings. My fiancee is deciding to switch with me too since we are on a family plan and her whole family is on verizon. If it were just me i'm bringing along then i would just get the 16gig iphone 3g and be done with it. Thinking for two is totally different cause with females especially my wife-to-be i will have to hear the complaints.

iPhone 3G S because it will last you longer. I say that because next year a new iPhone will come out, and you don't want to spend $99 for a phone that will be out dated (the iPhone 3G). Plus, its faster and has a better picture quality -- which is always good.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    needamacneedamac Posts: 26member
    well i wasn't going to get the 8gb iphone 3g in the first place and really the won't be outdated because of apples coming out with something new every year. If they are going to keep a $100 3g in there lineup for consumers not willing to spend the extra for the 3gs then that means it will be around for awhile. None of this really matters anymore cause i broke down i pre-ordered the 3gs
  • Reply 7 of 10
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Genuine comparison of iPhones: 3G vs 3G[S]
  • Reply 8 of 10
    mtomto Posts: 16member
    So the iPhone 3G will play video MMS messages but not take them? Is the correct..?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Wife-to-be... She would likely appreciate better-quality photos and the occasional video, especially if you have a kid over the term of the contract. Toss in the honeymoon, get-togethers, family holidays and the like and there are plenty of reasons you and she might want a better camera that can grab video.

200 bucks to make everybody happy. Give yourselves the best as you start your new lives together.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Agreed with BergerM. iPhone 3G[S] for me BTW... Which only comes out sometime in July in Malaysia...