If you want to beat the rush, 3.0 is available now.

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
This thread will probably be removed, but here goes nothing. I stumbled across the 3.0 software on a questionable Swedish service that has been in the news lately. The current build is 7A341. I downloaded it in a matter of three or four minutes. It is the real thing and it works as advertised. There is a noticeable speed boost. Search is rad. Everything seems to perform as demoed. I will not be eligible for the 3Gs until may, 2010. This update should tide most people over if snappiness is the main concern. Best of all I didn't have to wait all day while ten million people hit the Apple servers in a couple of days.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

This thread will probably be removed, but here goes nothing. I stumbled across the 3.0 software on a questionable Swedish service that has been in the news lately. The current build is 7A341. I downloaded it in a matter of three or four minutes. It is the real thing and it works as advertised. There is a noticeable speed boost. Search is rad. Everything seems to perform as demoed. I will not be eligible for the 3Gs until may, 2010. This update should tide most people over if snappiness is the main concern. Best of all I didn't have to wait all day while ten million people hit the Apple servers in a couple of days.

Yeah, I think I will wait the 2 days.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

Yeah, I think I will wait the 2 days.

Suit yourself. I have no skin in the game either way. Normally, I would do the same as you. But I had all day and nothing to lose. Believe it or not, It is quite legit. Here is a link to a Gizmodo post.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:

Suit yourself. I have no skin in the game either way. Normally, I would do the same as you. But I had all day and nothing to lose. Believe it or not, It is quite legit. Here is a link to a Gizmodo post.

Just because it "works" doesn't mean it's not doing something bad behind the scenes. I agree with Tulkas and would wait the 2 days
  • Reply 4 of 18
    When did AI members become a bunch of frightened, old women?
  • Reply 5 of 18
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:

When did AI members become a bunch of frightened, old women?

Maybe that is why Mac users in General don't worry about viruses.

For what it is worth, I was fairly surprised to see your snappiness remark with 3.0. I can't say too much due to those darn agreements I accepted but the GM version was a bit of a surprise in that aspect.

Have you noticed any decrease in batter life with your "legit" copy of OS 3.0? Another area where I was surprised.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    No surprise here. Nearly every Apple GM release is pirateable before the release date.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

No surprise here. Nearly every Apple GM release is pirateable before the release date.

I think there are going to be a lot of "battery life" complaints come tomorrow evening. Along with a few other if the GM is representative of tomorrow's release.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

I think there are going to be a lot of "battery life" complaints come tomorrow evening. Along with a few other if the GM is representative of tomorrow's release.

It isn't just representative, it is the release version.

Apple announced during the WWDC keynote that this build was the GM. The meaning of "GM" is that it is the official release to be distributed to the public.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

It isn't just representative, it is the release version.

Apple announced during the WWDC keynote that this build was the GM. The meaning of "GM" is that it is the official release to be distributed to the public.

Yes, I know what it means. See my first post as to why I worded it that way.

Am I the only one that sees this? Even my niece gave the phone back and complained about the slow interface compared to 2.x. She has no idea about the OS since she is so young and wouldn't care about anything other than it working.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    I too see occasional extreme lags. But at other times it seems quicker.

My theory is that a lot of apps need to be updated to run smoothly with 3.0. In particular, facebook seems to jerk and hault under 3.0.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    What time exactly (Pacific/Eastern) on the 17th will 3.0 be available? Anyone?
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

...on a questionable Swedish service that has been in the news lately...

I finally got it. Teh P1rat3bay is what you're talking about. LOL. Ah, as long as you don't post the actual torrent link here discussing the fact that it *is* on torrent sites is not a big deal, AFAIK...
  • Reply 13 of 18
    In case any one is interested, I also got tethering to work. This post is being sent courtesy of AT& frickin T.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Just got MMS up and running. Take that, AT&T!
  • Reply 15 of 18
    juanitojuanito Posts: 14member
    Quote:

In case any one is interested, I also got tethering to work. This post is being sent courtesy of AT& frickin T.

By up and running do you mean you simply got it to work? Or did you have to mess around with something?
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Juanito View Post

By up and running do you mean you simply got it to work? Or did you have to mess around with something?

Check it out.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    juanitojuanito Posts: 14member
    No more waiting. It's out.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    I couldn't stand waiting around to download so I used the questionable Swedish service and did the Gold Master thingy update this morning 10am (GMT+8). Working nice.

Tethering is nice. (Maxis telco in Malaysia). Getting 2mbps can you believe it... My crappy local telco DSL only reliably does 1mbps.

Testing Find My iPhone now.