Apple warns Palm Pre users iTunes sync may break

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A simple technical note from Apple on Tuesday warns that it can't guarantee third-party devices like the Palm Pre will work with iTunes and adds that future updates to the software may break media syncing with third-party devices.

The document stresses Apple's belief in the tight integration of its portable devices with iTunes and clearly, if indirectly, signals that Palm's iTunes sync feature has no guarantees at all from the iPod maker.

"Apple designs the hardware and software to provide seamless integration of the iPhone and iPod with iTunes, the iTunes Store, and tens of thousands of apps on the App Store," the company says. "Apple is aware that some third-parties claim that their digital media players are able to sync with Apple software. However, Apple does not provide support for, or test for compatibility with, non-Apple digital media players."

Although it takes care to avoid implying that it will deliberately head off Palm's efforts, Apple also mentions that, since software "changes over time," future updates to iTunes may prevent sync with third-party devices from working at all with the jukebox app.

Whether or not this is likely to happen with the Pre is difficult to tell. The feature works by identifying the smartphone in its hardware ID as an iPod and would require that Apple detect the difference between the Pre and a genuine iPod. Many of Palm's current engineers -- as well as its new CEO Jon Rubinstein -- are former Apple employees who have worked on the iPhone or iPod and are familiar with iTunes' current methods of recognizing plugged-in devices.

The notice fires another shot across the bow of Palm, which Apple increasingly sees as a concern. Outside of belittling the number of apps on Palm's software store, the iPhone designer has previously warned that it will pursue patent theft if it believes anyone has copied its techniques -- although, again, Apple has made sure it doesn't directly accuse Palm of such an act.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 169
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A simple technical note from Apple on Tuesday warns that it can't guarantee third-party devices like the Palm Pre will work with iTunes and adds that future updates to the software may break media syncing with third-party devices...

Well, we knew it was coming...\

I have to say when it actually happens I will feel bad for the Pre owners who get caught up in it...
  • Reply 2 of 169
    My Opinion the software should be exclusive to approved products; iPod, iPhone, and previously Apple- approved devices (Moto Rokr). thats it.
  • Reply 3 of 169
    I mean what did we all expect...of course Apple is going to break it. They are the competition...I would break it too. Watch as all the whinny pre users come flooding forums complaining about Apple. Hey Palm why don't you just write your own device management app instead of mooching off of iTunes.
  • Reply 4 of 169
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Yes Apple show em who is boss.
  • Reply 5 of 169
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member
    You know, I'd really like to see the Pre do well - but this nonsense of depending on another company to sync with your computer is really lame. They have to step up their game and deliver the full package - Phone & Software. Depending on another companies product to sync your device is not a smart move.
  • Reply 6 of 169
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jamisen.sc View Post

My Opinion the software should be exclusive to approved products; iPod, iPhone, and previously Apple- approved devices (Moto Rokr). thats it.

My opinion is that it's piss poor decision on Apple's part. iTunes is a central piece of OS X software and as such should not be locked to Apple's hardware alone. If Microsoft were to announce that Windows Media Player was only going to allow syncing with Zunes, people on here would be crying foul and screaming about MS's monopolistic policies. I have the same feeling about other pieces of Apple software like iMovie that provides encoding presets only for Apple products and YouTube. Apple's desire for complete control wears a bit thin at times.
  • Reply 7 of 169
    camroidv27camroidv27 Posts: 523member
    Totally expected this. Totally within the Apple business model.

Though, reading through the lines, its an excuse to kill external syncing with iTunes. If these devices just "happen" to stop working with iTunes, then its your fault. I suspect Apple would like their programmers to include code to keep these outside devices from syncing. Letting outside sources play is not their way.

• Reply 8 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

My opinion is that it's piss poor decision on Apple's part. iTunes is a central piece of OS X software and as such should not be locked to Apple's hardware alone. If Microsoft were to announce that Windows Media Player was only going to allow syncing with Zunes, people on here would be crying foul and screaming about MS's monopolistic policies. I have the same feeling about other pieces of Apple software like iMovie that provides encoding presets only for Apple products and YouTube. Apple's desire for complete control wears a bit thin at times.

They don't say it's not gonna work - they say it might not work - to make sure everybody was warned. It might cause troubles in the future and Apple just wants to make sure people will not blame Apple if something will not work in the future. Microsoft warrants nothing as well - I think it's the same case.
  • Reply 9 of 169
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:

What a bunch of bull, does Microsoft allow the Zune software to sync with Palm Pre, why isn't there outrage over that, why isn't Palm making this a feature of their phone, they just want to hitch onto the biggest name in the industry.
  • Reply 10 of 169
    nite41nite41 Posts: 41member
    Quote:

Well, Apple did all the hard work to made iTunes an effective yet easy-to-use software. It don't think it'll accept any other company making profit using their hard work (and not even paying for it). Plus, if Palm really wants to succeed, it should be fully equipped (the phone and the software). Using iTunes compatibility as a selling point is 'stealing' in my opinion.

But yes, I agree with you on the fact that Apple has some extra-tight controls. But then again, I am happy with what Apple offers. So, these tight controls do not interfere with my requirements. And that's all that is: Personal choices.

Cheers.
  • Reply 11 of 169
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    This seems rather lazy on Palm's part. All they had to do was make it so the Pre syncs with iTunes' XML file; they'd get the same end result. Just change the bullet point from "syncs in iTunes" to "syncs with your iTunes library."

Masquerading an as iPod via a hack is asking for trouble.
  • Reply 12 of 169
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DiscoNomad View Post

What did we all expect? Of course Apple is going to break it. They are the competition...I would break it too. Watch as all the whinny pre users come flooding forums complaining about Apple. Hey Palm why don't you just write your own device management app instead of mooching off of iTunes.

Palm had their Palm Desktop and Hotsync software to do just that. The only thing I could think of is perhaps Palm realized their own package is such a steaming pile of garbage that their only option was to hitch a ride on iTunes. Perhaps this was a stopgap measure to give Palm enough time to come up with their own full-blown desktop module. It comes to no surprise that Apple is putting the warning out there.

Of course, Pre owners will be the one to complain about Apple if/when that break occurs when they should actually be pointing the finger right back at Palm. Shame on Palm/Rubenstein for even advertising that ability as a feature.
  • Reply 13 of 169
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:

can you sync an ipod with windows media player?
  • Reply 14 of 169
    aiaddictaiaddict Posts: 487member
    Apple should sell a licensed plugin for itunes that allows the pre to sync. If Palm customers want to use Apples software, let them pay for it.
  • Reply 15 of 169
    One would think that the method by which the iPod syncs to iTunes would constitute "proprietary" information, and if former employees happened to take that information to a competitor and implement it there, Apple Legal would get involved.

Maybe they're just being quiet about it this time.
  • Reply 16 of 169
    mactrippermactripper Posts: 1,328member
    Quote:

Well this argument sounds good, everyone wants open cross standards and I applaud you for that. iTMS music is DRM free, so it can be placed on any machine that supports the open standard.

Unfortunately there is no hardware standard, so there can be no software standard.

Apple isn't going to make a hardware standard, because that will stop them from innovating.

The same mistake Real Networks made with their devices hitching a ride on Apple's iTunes. Eventually Apple changes their hardware, which changes their software and won't work with other hardware from other makers.

Apple isn't going to reveal or change their hardware road map to satisfy the hitchhikers and not brick their machines.

Apple is vertically integrated, software and hardware together, from Apple.

Better experience, better reliability, more innovation. Less headaches.

Quote:

I have the same feeling about other pieces of Apple software like iMovie that provides encoding presets only for Apple products and YouTube. Apple's desire for complete control wears a bit thin at times.

Remember Apple is a consumer hardware products company, they tend to make things easier for the newbie consumer, giving them a lot of power and ease of use.

iMovie is a free consumer level product and isn't about to confuse their main consumers with a lot of other code that may or may not be updated. It's worse as it is with Java, Javascript, Flash and the open source parts of OS X to just add to the complication with having free consumer level products confusing and complicated.

There are other programs, even from Apple, that give a lot more choice if you so need it.

Let a chance for other companies to make a buck and not let Apple hog up the whole show.
  • Reply 17 of 169
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    Masquerading an as iPod via a hack is asking for trouble.[/QUOTE]

THIS IS GOOD NEWS!!! Maybe Steve can hang Rubes's Cubes on his rearview mirror!
  • Reply 18 of 169
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Apple should sell a licensed plugin for itunes that allows the pre to sync. If Palm customers want to use Apples software, let them pay for it.

Why bother? I'd rather have Apple spend its resources making, say, iLife available for, and compatible with, Windows. (And charging them $129 a pop.)
  • Reply 19 of 169
    astra4astra4 Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The notice fires another shot across the bow of Palm, which Apple increasingly sees as a concern. Outside of belittling the number of apps on Palm's software store, the iPhone designer has previously warned that it will pursue patent theft if it believes anyone has copied its techniques -- although, again, Apple has made sure it doesn't directly accuse Palm of such an act.

It's infringement, not theft.
  • Reply 20 of 169
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    ummm... Am I the only one that was kind of shocked that Palm is actually officially acknowledging this "feature"? Seriously? A hack that allows the competitors software to recognize your device. You'd expect something like this from anonymous people in the open-source not from a well-known, established company. I'd understand and probably applaud this if it was just a undocumented feature they threw in for the fans, but to try and entice people to buy based on a feature they have no way of supporting is simply ridiculous.

Frankly, I'm also surprised it's legal.