Macbook skipping frames, video.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Have White Macbook from November 2007. OS X 10.5.7

Lately trying to play video on this is impossible. Every couple of seconds or less the video skips a few frames and sometimes audio is audibly skipped too it's most obvious during panning shots. Or shots where something is moving across the screen. I swear I can almost see it happening when I scroll down a page too.

Anyway, I have tired DVDs and video files in both DVD Player and VLC with no luck. Can someone please help me out?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Check your activity monitor for spikes in CPU or memory when playing a movie.

Do you ever use Bootcamp and if so, do you reboot using the 'restart in OS X option' in the taskbar? I had a suspicion that this caused this behavior.

Also, check which Quicktime plugins you have installed - you may be getting a conflict between some. Check the console.app out too to see if any messages are being logged.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HugoM View Post

Have White Macbook from November 2007. OS X 10.5.7

Lately trying to play video on this is impossible. Every couple of seconds or less the video skips a few frames and sometimes audio is audibly skipped too it's most obvious during panning shots. Or shots where something is moving across the screen. I swear I can almost see it happening when I scroll down a page too.

Anyway, I have tired DVDs and video files in both DVD Player and VLC with no luck. Can someone please help me out?

Thanks.

To solve this problem all you have to do is uninstall everything that has anything to do with Windows, including bootcamp or any emulation software.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    hugomhugom Posts: 19member
    Seems to start when the Macbook is plugged into a projector, and continues after it's unplugged. After it's been reset, everything plays normally.

I have bootcamp on here, though nothing partitioned, but I do use parallels. What do these have to do with projected video though?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

Seems to start when the Macbook is plugged into a projector, and continues after it's unplugged. After it's been reset, everything plays normally.

What is the model of projector and how are you connecting to it (e.g Mini-Displayport to VGA).

Does the stuttering happen while it's connected or does it start after it's been disconnected and are there any processes in the activity monitor that periodically spike (choose the drop down at the top and list all processes) - check disk activity too.

Quote:

I have bootcamp on here, though nothing partitioned, but I do use parallels. What do these have to do with projected video though?

Tauron is trying to make Windows out to be the problem with everything so ignore that comment. I did notice an issue with my machine that caused a stuttering in video using a bootcamp feature but since you don't use it, it's not likely to be an issue here. I wouldn't expect Parallels to be causing the problem if the projector is starting it.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I'll have to check the activity later when I play something.

The projector is a Panasonic AE-900E it's connected through a mini dvi - DVI adapter then DVI - HDMI.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    The projector res was set at 1260 x 900 in my system preferences. Changing it to the 1980 x 1080 allows me to change the refresh settings to 50 & 60hz as opposed to 24hz which is the only hz it can be on all other resolutions. Either of these stops the jitter. Unfortunately it looks like I have more light flicker through the projector.

Could someone please explain this? Thanks.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:

The projector res was set at 1260 x 900 in my system preferences. Changing it to the 1980 x 1080 allows me to change the refresh settings to 50 & 60hz as opposed to 24hz which is the only hz it can be on all other resolutions. Either of these stops the jitter. Unfortunately it looks like I have more light flicker through the projector.

Could someone please explain this? Thanks.

Yes, the image data processing software was programmed in windows.