Apple plugs critical Java security hole affecting Tiger, Leopard

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

I think you are confusing process-per-tab with sandboxing here. Sandboxing is a security feature which drastically limits the execution environment to a heavily controlled subset. How and where Apple will use sandboxing in Safari is still not known (to me, at least). From what I could gather at the WWDC keynote Safari 4 on Snow Leopard will support out of process plug-ins. Process-per-tab will probably require substantial rewrites of the whole Safari architecture so I don't hold my breath that we will see it before Safari 5 (if at all).

And it begs the question why this features are not available for Leopard users if Google is able to do so with Chrome (hint: quick money grab).

As previously stated, it shouldn’t be too hard for Apple to implement this feature in a future version of Safari as it’s built into Darwin.

As for sandboxing, the term originally meant a virtual testing place for software, but it’s grown. Now anything that is seperated and protected, not just for security reasons, but for stability reasons too use this term.

Here is an Arstechnica article that addresses both of my points above:
  • Reply 42 of 43
    bosmanbosman Posts: 23member
    My issue was that it didn't work! I need Java to upload thousands of images and I had to use IE in Paralells to upload my images.
  • Reply 43 of 43
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

First, enable Java and then close Safari. After that, then do the update.

Thanks. I too was getting an error saying that java couldn't be installed.