A Real Apple Television (Concept)

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I'm not sure if this has already been covered in a thread... search results were difficult to navigate.

How many would be interested if Apple created a 50"+ television that has the following features:

-Built in mac-mini (or equivalent) with ability to download and install apps

-Simplified interface to launch quick apps and access media from remote server

-Bluetooth for wireless headphones / keyboard / mouse

-HDMI connectivity (with 2-way communication) to send 1080p video and audio back and forth between the TV and a receiver

I think this is where Apple needs to go with the Apple TV concept. Lose the set top box, and just put everything into a beautifully designed, Apple-branded OLED or LCD flat-panel television with full network connectivity. I would be interested in such a product for every room in the house if it were priced correctly.

Call it the Apple 'iTV'. Allow 3rd parties to design apps like the iPhone (including streaming Netflix, accessing things like Slingbox and MLB TV, Hulu, etc). This would bring the wonderful iPhone concept to the bedroom and living room. Thoughts anyone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    bg_nycbg_nyc Posts: 189member
    No input at all? Wow...
  • Reply 2 of 6
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Apple tried it before and it failed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_TV
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

What does that product have to do with the Apple TV concept? There are contributors on this forum who were in diapers at that time.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

That was the wroth setup. It should be a TV--with the added power "some" computer capabilities could provide. Not, a computer and TV combination, but an outright TV with internet additions. It should look like a TV, but have additional functions, like 802.11n built in, and Apple TV+ features also built in. Which it will

Don't think keyboard and mouse, think Apple TV-like remote--with some added features. "Motion sensitivity" anyone? Yes, that was a joke btw. That previous sentence.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That was the wroth setup. It should be a TV--with the added power "some" computer capabilities could provide. Not, a computer and TV combination, but an outright TV with internet additions. It should look like a TV, but have additional functions, like 802.11n built in, and Apple TV+ features also built in. Which it will

Don't think keyboard and mouse, think Apple TV-like remote--with some added features. "Motion sensitivity" anyone? Yes, that was a joke btw. That previous sentence.

Exactly. Samsung and LG are already preparing real internet-capable television sets, which not only stream content from the home media server, but also have 'apps' that will quickly and beautifully display things like weather, sports scores, and custom news fees (like a google or yahoo homepage) overlayed over the local news.

Apple has to be working this. The market is ready. While set top boxes are getting smaller and smaller, Apple could do one better by getting rid of it all together. I would buy this product for my bedroom today if I could use plug-ins like silverlight, and of course if it were priced correctly.
  • Reply 6 of 6