Change all music to MP3

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
How can I change all of my music into mp3 from the Itunes protected format? What program would do mass changing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Short answer: you can't. It's called protected for a reason.

Long answer: there are programs to do this, but discussing them here is in violation of the posting guidelines against promoting piracy.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Well technically it's not piracy because I wont be selling them, it will be for my own personal use. I want to put more than 12 tracks on a CD as an MP3 Cd and I can't do that with an audio CD.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    *shrug* It's breaking the DRM, discussion of which has been deemed to be against the posting guidelines. Legal technicalities aside, that's all that matters on these boards. Just trying to give you a heads up so you don't get banned, but it's your choice.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Well in that case.....

instead of posting it, someone pm me or refer me to somewhere where I can get info?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    That would still be in violation of the posting guidelines. You'll have to search for yourself. You should be aware that you'll likely break the EUCD in the process.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Ok then, thanks anyway.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I would say "fuck it" and help the guy, but I actually don't know myself.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Well you could burn your protected songs to discs and then rip the discs as mp3. That doesn't violate anything and doesn't take any programs aside from iTunes. It would take a lot of time though.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Google is a wonderful tool in this type of situation.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I've looked a google all I could find was Hymnn and that doesn't work with itunes 6

for legal reasons...

it doesnt work with itunes 6 IF I was interested in removing DRM
  • Reply 11 of 13
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    well since you're transcoding from .m4p to mp3, you may as well burn to a CD and rip in Mp3 as it'll probably have the same quality loss.

To simply 'unprotect' them (m4p -> m4a), I would imagine Hymn would work but I haven't used it since itunes 5 (I don't buy music from Apple anymore). You said something about iTunes 6 being a problem.. well I don't know what to tell you.

Maybe you should install iTunes 5, use hymn on all your iTMS-bought music, and switch to 6. From then on, never buy from iTMS again. That's similar to what I did.

For the record (no pun intended), I 'steal' music LEGALLY (Note that this is legal and therefore not violating the TOS!) using http://www.allofmp3.com but would gladly pay iTMS' $1/song fee if they offered it in the same fidelity. 128kbps AAC is NOT as good as 320kbps MP3, in spite of what some say.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    grahamwgrahamw Posts: 575member
    Well, let's see: I'm a mod and I've got an allofmp3 account - so I certainly hope it's not stealing. Thank you to everyone for keeping the piracy talk to a minimum.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orionetheus View Post

How can I change all of my music into mp3 from the Itunes protected format? What program would do mass changing.

i NEED TO CHANGE MUSIC ON MY WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER TO MP3