• Reply 21 of 81
    tazinlwfltazinlwfl Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wordwise View Post

It works with a Touch...

He was talking about OS updates
  • Reply 22 of 81
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member
    Ok, this is really weird. I'm in the DFW area and I pre-ordered mine from AT&T so I'm assuming it should be delivered to my local AT&T store but get this tracking info - total wtf...

LOUISVILLE,

KY, US\t 06/17/2009\t 10:43 A.M.\t ARRIVAL SCAN

DALLAS/FT. WORTH A/P,

TX, US\t 06/17/2009\t 7:49 A.M.\t DEPARTURE SCAN

06/17/2009\t 1:59 A.M.\t ORIGIN SCAN

US\t 06/17/2009\t 7:11 P.M.\t BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

So it was here and then went to Louisville and then they are going to fly it BACK to DFW? Uh.... *confused*
  • Reply 23 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dreadkid08 View Post

Apple's servers are going to be slammed so hard today...

Well, they wouldn't have been slammed if the update was around at 6am when I got up. But Nooooooo.
  • Reply 24 of 81
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    I hope it's today. itunes says that it will automatically check for an update on 6/19/09.
  • Reply 25 of 81
    look closely ppl and u will see it says the RECEIVER requested a hold. That means that the person who is receiving it put it in hold not the sender! Video of the new iphone is starting to show up on utube by ppl who have already "received" there pre-order! Duhhhhhh!
  • Reply 26 of 81
    Quote:

For those in the UK, the software should turn up between the hours of 5:00 pm and 7:30 pm.

Mines coming down the pipe right now!!
  • Reply 27 of 81
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Juanito View Post

What disappoints is that those that took the time to preorder won't get their handsets until AFTER those who just go to the Apple or AT&T Stores. Unless UPS delivers by 8AM, which they usually don't. At least not where I live.

You're kidding us, right? You would actually PREFER to be hanging around, waiting in line for who knows how long, not knowing whether or not the model you want is available, rather than having someone deliver it to you on Friday?

Wow...
  • Reply 28 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ohgodthatsucks View Post

look closely ppl and u will see it says the RECEIVER requested a hold. That means that the person who is receiving it put it in hold not the sender! Video of the new iphone is starting to show up on utube by ppl who have already "received" there pre-order! Duhhhhhh!

There's a long thread about this on MR and it's just UPS's system - the person didn't request a hold it's just that UPS doesn't have a "sender wants us to sit on this package" entry.
  • Reply 29 of 81
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

if the shipper does not pay the extra $$ to be delivered by 10am (or whatever the slots UPS use) why would UPS deliver that? I assume it was sent the regular residential method, which is by 6pm (if I'm correct)

just imagine how many calls they get and demand special treatment + early delivery that was not paid for?

It's not about early delivery, if they said it was 6AM, midday or 6PM I wouldn't mind, just so I know. Normally in this country you can request this kind of information if a signature is required, especially if they have already failed a delivery attempt.
  • Reply 30 of 81
    YAY, only less than 172,800 seconds to go!!!

• Reply 31 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

You're kidding us, right? You would actually PREFER to be hanging around, waiting in line for who knows how long, not knowing whether or not the model you want is available, rather than having someone deliver it to you on Friday?

Wow...

Well you could have pre-ordered and not have to wait in line and know you're getting exactly what you wanted... (that's what I did as the AT&T lady said, stupidly, my corporate rate discount wouldn't apply if I had it delivered, yeah makes no sense but whatever...)
  • Reply 32 of 81
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

What disappoints is that those that took the time to preorder won't get their handsets until AFTER those who just go to the Apple or AT&T Stores. Unless UPS delivers by 8AM, which they usually don't. At least not where I live.

Why would you pre-order or get in line for something that hasn't been reviewed thoroughly in the first place?
  • Reply 33 of 81
    drdbdrdb Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

if the shipper does not pay the extra $$ to be delivered by 10am (or whatever the slots UPS use) why would UPS deliver that? I assume it was sent the regular residential method, which is by 6pm (if I'm correct)

just imagine how many calls they get and demand special treatment + early delivery that was not paid for?

also, their website for arranging another delivery attempt didn't actually work (on any browser) so I had to call the premium rate number. Compared to the service we normally get from Royal Mail in the UK it was pretty damned awful.
  • Reply 34 of 81
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Updates can be installed from any computer with iTunes. At least that's been my experience. It will create a backup of your phone. At least that's how I've done it with my laptop when I'm out of town. The main sync is done with my desktop.

Thanks I wasn't aware that could be done with the reactivation and all. Too bad I don't have my cable with me.

m
  • Reply 35 of 81
    tazinlwfltazinlwfl Posts: 117member
    Quote:

people who haven't requested a hold are getting the same messages - like my co-worker.

They've mentioned it is simply the mechanism of "holding" Apple is using to delay. The fact that it's saying "receiver" is part of that mechanism, and should be a non-issue.

Only youtube video's I've seen are from developers who probably get special permission to get theirs early.
  • Reply 36 of 81
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...In some of those cases, customers actually received their orders early but were later asked to surrender them back to the shipping company....

Never surrender.
  • Reply 37 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drdb View Post

UPS couldn't even get to me before 2pm with a previous Apple product. I called them up to ask to fix a time because I'd be at work and they said they couldn't do that, so I asked if they could try and deliver before 2pm (I was on late shift, not just lazy). They said they'd give it a go, and the time on the failed delivery slip was 3:30pm. In the end I had to go to the depot on some industrial estate on the edge of town and get it myself. Not exactly an impressive service.

just to say, this was in the UK

Quote:

also, their website for arranging another delivery attempt didn't actually work (on any browser) so I had to call the premium rate number. Compared to the service we normally get from Royal Mail in the UK it was pretty damned awful.

UPS web sites aren't that good.

But I wouldn't blame them for not being able to arrange a different drop-off time because that would mean reordering the delivery route. The alternatives would be to request either a different delivery date or hold it at the hub.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianus View Post

You've got to be kidding me. That actually happened? Apple requested that customers who'd already received and presumably opened their packages return them so they could be delivered a second time, later? That's the most batshit insane thing I've ever heard.

It is pretty crazy, and it did happen that I recall.
  • Reply 38 of 81
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:

Try the "Royal Mail" in the U.S.
  • Reply 39 of 81
    Quote:

We can read, but trust me, none of us put it on hold. I am 100% positive that myself and hundreds of thousands of others did not call ups in our sleep and tell them to delay our iPhones...
  • Reply 40 of 81
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    If the "receiver" put a hold on it, then the receiver can call and release it.